I really want another revolver

8 shot Ruger Redhawk .357
I can recommend the 8 shot S&W 627 from the Performance Center. My wife liked mine so much, I had to buy a second one. She uses the 4 inch and mine is the 5 inch version. They shoot great. For everyday carry we have the S&W 581 and 681 (L frame) service revolvers with 4 inch barrels.

I have 686's, the python and the Anaconda. I would sell everything before I let my Anaconda go, but not looking to sell anything at this point. If you are stuck on a 257, the python is a great gun, as is the Wesson and 686.

This really is not a specialty handgun hunting question, but I thought would post this to seek feedback/opinions. I've always been a revolver fan. I only have one in the stable right now, but would like to get a 357 with a 4.5 - 6" barrel. I have always wanted a Colt Python, but never pulled the trigger before they discontinued the original offering. The new ones came out with some early production quality issues, but I believe they resolved these issues on later production releases. So now I am planning on adding a revolver in the $1500 range that will be used primarily for the fun of it. Colt Python, King Cobra or S&W 686, 627?
Well been browsing the revived Colts as well. There is the coolness factor in the pythons, been looking at them. I do remember back in the day when folks were buying the python barrels and swapping them onto their Smith and Wesson Frames. Currently have multiple revolvers and have a Super Redhawk for hunting in 44 magnum. Let us know what you pick, I don't think you can go wrong with either of your picks, Smith and Wesson makes a fine revolver. If for hunting go with the 6 inch or longer. For personal protection 4 inch or shorter. I am more accurate with the longer pistol barrel with iron sights, with an optic it is the same.

I know this is getting to be a bit of an old thread but, for the money, I would buy another stainless Ruger GP100, and the coin I saved, spent on a spring kit and a bit of polishing. I originally got a 6" when I got home from Desert Storm, it was great at the range, back when I was younger I could hit the 12" gong at 100 from a rest repeatedly. BUT it was a bit unwieldy in the night stand. I always thought 4" 357's were a bit "barky" and not near as much fun at the range. BUT if you look for them you can find them, 5" Stainless GP100. They made them a couple of different times. I have one. I had to get the Houge grip, but I think they come with them now.

Attachments

• GP100 L.JPG
    GP100 L.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 25
  • GP100 R.JPG
    GP100 R.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 29
This really is not a specialty handgun hunting question, but I thought would post this to seek feedback/opinions. I've always been a revolver fan. I only have one in the stable right now, but would like to get a 357 with a 4.5 - 6" barrel. I have always wanted a Colt Python, but never pulled the trigger before they discontinued the original offering. The new ones came out with some early production quality issues, but I believe they resolved these issues on later production releases. So now I am planning on adding a revolver in the $1500 range that will be used primarily for the fun of it. Colt Python, King Cobra or S&W 686, 627?
You might want to look at S&W models that have come out of their Performance (custom) shop.

I picked up the Python and so far I am very pleased. I agree with the rear sight needing an upgrade. Almost ordered the Wilson, but now I'm thinking about the Trijicon RMR. Picked up a set of dies and a brick of Win SPM . A few hundred 158 gr Hornady pills and looking for some 2400 powder. The 6" barrel really helps when shooting 357 loads. It is a pleasure to shoot vs the 500SW.

I owned 4 or 5 of the original Pythons. Didn't keep a one. Actions were like oiled glass???
Their durability with a steady diet of magnums was not their strong point. They had a tendency to go out-of-time.
For unknown reasons I just never warmed up to the action. Accuracy was fine. I liked the handling of the 4" barrels, but
prefer the sight radius of the 6". I had 1 blued 4", a blued 6", 2 nickeled 6", 1 electroless nickel 6". Don't own any now.
The new, beefed-up model IS tempting me!

I only owned 1 Dan Wesson, a 6" blued version. Super nice gun . Great accuracy and reliability.
I didn't care for the location of the cylinder release. Git tired of looking for the tool to keep the barrel shroud tight.

I have owned 1 686-1 4" stainless, and 1 586-2 blued, that I sold, My original was the 4" stainless. I shot that gun for than
any .357 I have owned. I sold it after a move, and the new gun club has longer ranges available. The 4" was hard for me to
shoot well past about 30 yards. The model had been discontinued and increased in value a lot, so I sold it. I found the 586-2
in a 6" barrel. My long-range shooting much preferred this sight radius. I sold it as I hated the blue finish. It seemed dull.
I sold it. Found a really nice 686-1 6" and all was well again.
I do believe the L-frames can benefit by action jobs. That adds to the cost, but is well worth it.
I personally have preferred the actions on my worked over S&W guns over all the others revolvers I have listed.
I'd rate them all good for accuracy.
I think the two best groups I ever fired at 25 yards would be a tie between my S&W 686-1 6" and the Dan Wesson 6"

you really can't go wrong with any choice.