I really want another revolver

I have a SW 686+ .357 4" as primary carry. Accurate, DA nice and just fun to shoot. I like having 7 shot in case someone is counting. I am changing out sights to more HiViz though.
I have a 686 4" standard 6 shot. It was my primary carry piece and well as my competition rig for IDPA, ICORE, IHMSA, and some PPC. I have an early edition with stainless front sight. I can't see the front sight all that well anymore but was still able to do a Dicken's Drill well with it. I've went back to a Glock 23 as my primary.

I will still use the HK45 as my primary carry at least for now. Almost picked up a Sig 229 the other day as the HK is outside the belt carry only. The 357 will be for fun at the range and possibly varmints in the field.

CD46A1C3-D2E8-4A71-A7E1-1A75325CF068.jpeg

Enough of this debate. Just go buy a Korth 🤣

It all depends on what you want it for. I prefer S&W revolvers especially if for defense. The double action is superior out of the three imo. Single action Dan Wessons are fine. And I never cared for Colt's tacking at the end of their trigger pull. But Colt's single action is fine and their bluing is just beautiful.
The stacking in double action is exactly what I was referring to as the new Python having better double action pull that the old ones. The new ones are just a smooth pull all the way through.

I have a SW 686+ .357 4" as primary carry. Accurate, DA nice and just fun to shoot. I like having 7 shot in case someone is counting. I am changing out sights to more HiViz though.
I have the 686+ 3" that a retired Wyoming gunsmith smoothed up and put Hi Vis sights on. I do carry now and then.

I have more revolvers than I can count. In order of 357's for me is:
3 screw Ruger BH
Python

There is no wrong answer here, but I love shooting the 686 more than any handgun. I love the old Ruger's and by far my favorite handgun I own is a 1970 Super Blackhawk 3 screw 44- they just do not make guns like that anymore. It's the top one with a 41 Mag and 357 Mag.

Attachments

• 20221221_154416.jpg
    20221221_154416.jpg
    889.6 KB · Views: 59
I bought my 4" & 6" Pythons in 1978 for $350 each. Never had a problem with them. Killed 50+ deer and 200+ groundhogs with them, one deer a 201 yards with a 160 gr. Keith SWC. Fantastic guns. Maybe the new are better, but I'll Keep mine.

For Christmas 2021 my wife bought me a current generation 6" Python just because I pointed to a magazine cover and said it would be fun to have. The double action is remarkable, but the single action pull is not so good. I tend to shoot it DA most often, and it's easy to do so accurately. The new rear sight is of questionable design, to say the least. I'll probably upgrade to the Wilson. Also, be aware that the cylinder is none too long if you like load the bigger slugs.

For a description of what's been changed on the current generation versus previous, go to The Heffron Precision Blog and scroll down to the 11/18/2022 entry. About one page later you'll see a heading for COLT's NEW DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS: THE IMPROVEMENTS that goes into some detail about what's been revised. I have no experience with the "legacy" Python's, so can't offer an opinion on them.

My wife works diligently to rid the planet of armadillos with her 4" S&W 686+. Its trigger pull is the exact opposite of my Python - awesomely light and crisp SA with bloody stiff DA. Both are great in different ways, but could be improved nonetheless.

I had a Python, gent wanted it more than I did. I promptly bought a 686, kept it for a while. Now the shocker, 6" GP-100 that has had a ton of work done, built like a tank. I and previous owner have shot thousands of full tilt full throttle loads with zero issues. Why the full tilt loads, this rascal loves them, soft loads shoot ok for most, the full tilt are just ridiculous out to 150. This rig shoots well enough that it has seen some use as an IHMSA gun off and on.

$1500 may get you darn close to an FA. I waited to long to buy my first one. I now have 357,41,44. Never regretted any of them, all shooters right from the get go.

If there are Korths for $1500 I have not seen one?

I'd say in the end get the one that YOU want. The Pythons are beautiful pieces, just gorgeous. I'm just more of a S&W fan. Korths are nice, but I'll stick with Colt, S&W or Rugers. I had a slicked up Ruger Security Six. It was nice but I still prefer S&W's trigger pull.

Life can be easier for individuals with unlimited budgets. A Korth would be awesome, but only for bragging rights. My pistol shooting skills would be embarrassing with a $5k revolver. I like the option of 7 rounds in the SW and have always been a fan of SW. The Ruger and the Kimber I'm sure would be fine revolvers, but in the end the Colt keeps calling me. Now I need to finalize the barrel length I want.