I really want another revolver

Mark37082

This really is not a specialty handgun hunting question, but I thought would post this to seek feedback/opinions. I've always been a revolver fan. I only have one in the stable right now, but would like to get a 357 with a 4.5 - 6" barrel. I have always wanted a Colt Python, but never pulled the trigger before they discontinued the original offering. The new ones came out with some early production quality issues, but I believe they resolved these issues on later production releases. So now I am planning on adding a revolver in the $1500 range that will be used primarily for the fun of it. Colt Python, King Cobra or S&W 686, 627?

I like both of my 686s in 357. I handled some of the newer colts and they feel darn Good and actually feel better in DA than single for some reason. That being said you can get into a good used S&W 686 or a nice Ruger for half or less than the colt. Some day I may have a snake gun but for now to use and abuse I will stick to my Rugers And older S&W.

Find a Dan Wesson....you will thank me later
I completely agree. Accurate and stout enough to handle upper load levels. Good luck finding something that scratches your itch.

I've always thought a Freedom Arms single action would be nice also, but a little too pricey for me. Just to muddy the water a little more..

I did a little searching and the Dan Wesson options will be limited at best. I generally have not gone the pre-owned route very often on firearms. If I was more proficient at basic gunsmith work, I would feel more confident. Most of the local GS shops are covered up and very expensive. I'll keep my eyes open.

I too loved the old Colt Python but coule not affort them then or now. So I bought S&W. I have a Model 27-2 (old one) and a model 66 (smaller frame). I think the have the best trigger out of the box for any revolver. A friend of mine bought the Dan Wesson with multiple barrles. I think you cannot go wrong with either the S&W or Dan Wesson.

I recently saw a Dan Wesson Pistol pac for sale in the PAFOA classifieds for ~$1600. I like the old Dan Wesson revolvers, don't see them for sale very often.
A few years back, I would see a few older Dans in some of the area gun shops, and on a rare occasion, a complete pistol pack. The past couple of years, nothing. I have owned Dans since the late 70's when I bought my first, and they have been the most accurate revolvers I have ever fired. Some may require a little tweaking with the gap space or barrel tension for best performance, but most have been great shooters right out of the case.

There were reasons we saw so many Dans on the IHMSA ranges decades back, and it wasn't always because of their interchangeable longer barrels either. My first Dan has seen 10's of thousands of rounds through it, and it still is a great shooter.