How Many Are True "LR" Shooters?

You nailed it with the comment "educated guess." Perfect characterization. Yes, the more you practice the more educated you become, but at some point, perhaps 700 yards, that the increasing size of your group, the odds of having terrain impact the wind, the ever increasing wind drift and consequently ever more accurate wind calls, create a situation in which it is impossible to put 90% of your shots in a 10X10" target.
Well, given all the great groups several people have and are shooting in F-Class 600-1,000, 600yd BR, 600yd NM prone, 800-1,000 prone, 1,000 BR and other, I am not sure I can agree with that. YMMV

You nailed it with the comment "educated guess." Perfect characterization. Yes, the more you practice the more educated you become, but at some point, perhaps 700 yards, that the increasing size of your group, the odds of having terrain impact the wind, the ever increasing wind drift and consequently ever more accurate wind calls, create a situation in which it is impossible to put 90% of your shots in a 10X10" target.
Wholeheartedly agree. I love having the “capability” and equipment to shoot long range. But if I have a buck at 500 yards, and there’s a ridge 200 yards closer, I’m getting closer and stacking the odds in my favor. All of my far shots have been a personal debate, and only happened because they were across terrain that I either took the shot, or I didn’t get an opportunity at the animal at all.

I shoot targets out to 1400 and my personal limit for game is 800 yards. My longest shot to date on an animal is 600 on a hog back home in TX a few years ago.

I'd also say that the numbers to define range are dependent on a lot of factors including caliber, weapon, and game/target size. That 600 yd shot on a large feral hog with 7mm Magnum was a chipshot compared to some of the shots I've taken on prairie dogs and gophers at half that distance with much smaller calibers. But for the purposes of big game hunting, I'd say they're fair enough.
Well, "LR" is actually defined in NRA and other comp shooting, and I was trying to add some standardization that has been widely accepted for many decades in the shooting sports. YMMV

Well, given all the great groups several people have and are shooting in F-Class 600-1,000, 600yd BR, 600yd NM prone, 800-1,000 prone, 1,000 BR and other, I am not sure I can agree with that. YMMV
Looking at the “sighters” in F class, tells a different story than just the groups. Those are their first educated guesses at the wind, and they don’t land in the middle too often.

The guns and bullets certainly have the capability to put bullets into small kill zones sized groups at extreme ranges.

It’s placing the bullet in a kill zone with the first shot that brings a challenge. And obviously environmentals play a huge roll to how comfortable I am shooting on any given day and yardage. Dead calm, 700 even feels
Like a slam dunk.

One thing I’ve noticed is the wind doesn’t always behave the way I think it should in unknown locations. If you’re always shooting at the same place or some flatter ground it’s still an educated guess but man, I’ve seen it blowing 2 different directions out to a mile through a tree lane and some hills. I really think a lot of it depends on where you’re at. Hills,canyons and trees do weird stuff to wind.

Looking at the “sighters” in F class, tells a different story than just the groups. Those are their first educated guesses at the wind, and they don’t land in the middle too often.

The guns and bullets certainly have the capability to put bullets into small kill zones sized groups at extreme ranges.

It’s placing the bullet in a kill zone with the first shot that brings a challenge. And obviously environmentals play a huge roll to how comfortable I am shooting on any given day and yardage. Dead calm, 700 even feels
Like a slam dunk.
Absolutely agree. And that is why we practiced a lot of cold bore shots at various ranges, and in some comps, all shots counted for score.

One thing I’ve noticed is the wind doesn’t always behave the way I think it should in unknown locations. If you’re always shooting at the same place or some flatter ground it’s still an educated guess but man, I’ve seen it blowing 2 different directions out to a mile through a tree lane and some hills. I really think a lot of it depends on where you’re at. Hills,canyons and trees do weird stuff to wind.

Run through a PRS or similar course here in these Rocky Mtns, and we have plenty of wind changes. Same for shooting most everything in these hills, valleys and across canyons. It does make life interesting and requires some serious SWAGS.

Location is a key factor. Here in the flat coastal plains of the east coast with no terrain features makes environmentals a lot more easy to get dead on. I shoot out to 2500+ but obviously would not take a shot on big game at that distance with a 4+ second flight time. I have my personal set distances, but would they be the same as if I went out West, obviously not, I have zero experience shooting out there. As for bad shots and loosing game at distance, you all would be mortified watching these deer hunters running dogs (I do not participate in that).

I shoot to 1000 in a farmers field and he has just extended it to where I can now shoot to a bit better than 1300. My limit on game is around 800. Most of the fields I'm covering are 600 or less but there are a few that get around the 800 mark.
With thermal my limit is around 425

Last edited:
Over time, it seems I am reading more and more posts from members who have never shot true LR, and for the purposes of this discussion, I will refer to "rough" NRA standards of SR (0-300yd) MR (400-600yd) and LR (800-1,000), but some of us use the 1/4 mile rule of SR: 0-440, MR: 441-880 and LR: 881-1320 yards. Yes, there are gaps between those NRA, so lets say 601-1,000yds is LR.

With that said, I read a fair amount of posts were the shooter claims to never shoot beyond 300yd, 400yds or 500yds, and from time to time, I read posts of shooters/hunters that are critical of others for shooting beyond "their" self determined limits.

So, since this is a LR/ELR hunting and shooting forum, I am just curious how many actually shoot LR (601-1,000yds) and then how many actually shoot game or even varmints at same?
Can only get 600 at local gun club. But wait if I slide back on the bench 3 feet I’m a LR shooter!!!!! I personally like the forum it’s content it’s family atmosphere and its members not its title.

I won't shoot at a live 4-legged animal past 600 yards +/- a few. For moose, it is 400 yards or less as experience has proven to me that I turn into a 12-year old boy shooting at his first animal when looking through the scope at a moose. Don't have that problem with any other animal. Just moose.
😂 I have that same problem with a big bull Elk.

Well, "LR" is actually defined in NRA and other comp shooting, and I was trying to add some standardization that has been widely accepted for many decades in the shooting sports. YMMV
"LR competition" isn't really LRH. targets are preset, and don't move while a bullet is in flight. Not opposed to those doing it, but I don't think it can/should be defined in the same way.