How I prepare my knees for 8 western mountain backpacking trips per year...at age 77

I enjoy being outside enjoying the fresh air with the wildlife and gorgeous country. I hate gyms and weight lifting. My training regiment includes staying in great physical shape year-round. I'm blessing being able to hike miles each day at work in a variety of terrain. The closer your workout strategy is to what you actually do while hunting the better off you'll be. You will also stay in super shape if you hike hills each day....with or without a pack. If you have bad knees I would highly recommend trekking poles...especially if you have any weight on your back.

I enjoy being outside enjoying the fresh air with the wildlife and gorgeous country. I hate gyms and weight lifting. My training regiment includes staying in great physical shape year-round. I'm blessing being able to hike miles each day at work in a variety of terrain. The closer your workout strategy is to what you actually do while hunting the better off you'll be. You will also stay in super shape if you hike hills each day....with or without a pack. If you have bad knees I would highly recommend trekking poles...especially if you have any weight on your back.
👍🏼 For sure.

I am reading with interest. I'm 69, and have partial tears in both Meniscus. Left one is just about fully healed. I'm being treated by Orthopedic Surgeon with Hylauronic Acid (chicken comb gel in both knees), and go to him two weeks before leaving for Chama for cortizone in both knees.

I was wondering about a knee brace to support the knees while mountaineering. Doctor said it couldn't hurt, but he didn't really expound on what type of knee brace. The ones he has are about $750 each, and insurance won't cover it.

Just wondering if anyone in same boat has had good luck with any particular knee brace that can be worn while hunting that may apply lateral support to the knee.
I have the expensive deloading braces for both knees and have used them this year and they do help. They do begin to slide down my legs though and it would be nice if the maker designed a very light weight set of suspenders that would go over the shoulders and under pants to the brace or possibly hanging off your belt. Cortisone 2 weeks prior and PRP injections 4-6 months prior to mtn hiking also very beneficial. This is the first time I have not had excruciating pain on the downhill hikes.

I finished my hunt, and had no problems (with my knees) up and down the mountains. Being out of breath-now that's a different story. The hyaluronic acid injections and cortisone injections were most beneficial, and I had no pain. Been almost three weeks since my hunt, and I still feel great.
I did not have any knee braces, so I can't say they would have helped, but I'm sure they would have given the knees support to prevent any lateral motion or damage.

P.S. Got a small 4X4 bull the second morning so I feel really lucky in that regard.

I have the expensive deloading braces for both knees and have used them this year and they do help. They do begin to slide down my legs though and it would be nice if the maker designed a very light weight set of suspenders that would go over the shoulders and under pants to the brace or possibly hanging off your belt. Cortisone 2 weeks prior and PRP injections 4-6 months prior to mtn hiking also very beneficial. This is the first time I have not had excruciating pain on the downhill hikes.
Mine was made for my knee 12 years ago. It's adjustable.

I finished my hunt, and had no problems (with my knees) up and down the mountains. Being out of breath-now that's a different story. The hyaluronic acid injections and cortisone injections were most beneficial, and I had no pain. Been almost three weeks since my hunt, and I still feel great.
I did not have any knee braces, so I can't say they would have helped, but I'm sure they would have given the knees support to prevent any lateral motion or damage.

P.S. Got a small 4X4 bull the second morning so I feel really lucky in that regard.
Way to go ! 👍🏼 I was lucky Sunday. I got the truck within 150 yards
IMG_20221113_103405561_HDR~2.jpg
of the Cow elk I shot. A lot easier than the buck I packed out the Sunday before

I am 54, knees wrecked from army infantry heavy heavy rucking. Knees over toes sled, I use a wheel & tire combo with rope, at times going backwards w rope attached to safety harness belt or forward and I just hold the rope in various positions. The hub hole perfectly fits most of our kettle bell series and there are other ways to attach weight. In the pic you can see my sled and some of our rifle and archery targets in the background. I regularly incorporate shot(s) within the work out rounds. Sometimes its archery, some pistol, some rifle or combo. At times its just a scope change and dry fire or it might be hitting a 9" circle with arrow at 50 yards with a HR of 140-150; great training for all things hunting. I am blessed to have the opportunity to shoot and work out at same location but that doesn't mean you can't think outside the box and create something to mimic mtn hunting and or dry firing a Quality shot under stress.

Other exercises for knees and elk hunting (big Mtn type): Oly lifts DL, BS, FS, PC/HC, SP/PP/PJ. I always hit 3-4 box jumps immediately after putting bar down from OLY Lifts. I have a ladder I climb about 13' of vertical, box step ups, row, lunges weighted w rucksack, rifle or 35# bar mimicking rifle. I typically set up a combination of these + other abs/pushups/pull ups/etc doing 3-10 rounds. Incorporating your actual gear in your work outs will prevent some of the Oopsies this dont work in the mountains.

Sample workout 4 Rounds For Time (RFT) with weight vest or pack on.

Row 300M
jog to bow fire 1 shot @ 50 yds. (bow is hanging near shot location) (if target missed shoot again)
run back complete 5 ladder climbs (from my home gym to my 50 yard line is about 75yards)
1 KOT sled pull carrying rifle 75M dry fire 2X quality shot from 2 different positions along the way (if shot pulled repeat shot)
Sling rifle and drag back to gym (sled behind you instead of in front on way out)
20 step ups with pack & rifle (I use 24" currently and starting out did not carry rifle or pack) (right before hunt this # gets to 50 and ladder climbs go to 15 ea per round) (sadly in a 55 min workout this only equates to about 685' in gain, its not the real deal but I am far from any mountain or significant hill)
10 push ups

I am reading with interest. I'm 69, and have partial tears in both Meniscus. Left one is just about fully healed. I'm being treated by Orthopedic Surgeon with Hylauronic Acid (chicken comb gel in both knees), and go to him two weeks before leaving for Chama for cortizone in both knees.

I was wondering about a knee brace to support the knees while mountaineering. Doctor said it couldn't hurt, but he didn't really expound on what type of knee brace. The ones he has are about $750 each, and insurance won't cover it.

Just wondering if anyone in same boat has had good luck with any particular knee brace that can be worn while hunting that may apply lateral support to the knee.
I have essentially no cartilage in my left knee along with a complex tear of the meniscus. For the last couple of years I've worn an articulated "unloader" brace on my left knee whenever I'm carrying a pack in the mountains or skiing. I live in northern New Mexico so elk hunting is between 9 and 11 thousand feet and I'm a double-black diamond skier. I get a shot of Monovisc in that knee periodically as well. That said, I can't recommend the brace enough. It took a Rx from my orthopod and $200 on my part with my insurance picking up the rest. Not cheap but man does it work!

I've been thinking of looking this thread up. I did 36 miles gaining and loosing ~1000 feet per day. It was national forest so virtually no trails with the exception of the odd elk trail. Lots of rocks and dead falls.

I killed on the last morning of the hunt, day 5 and made the decision to make the 2 mile trek down a canyon to town vs the 4 mile walk to the truck. It was a nasty canyon full of rocks, bolders and dead falls from the burn. My pack with gear and half a deer was 92 pounds.

No knee pain for the entire trip, I was ecstatic regarding my physical fitness except for my cardio. As a flat lander there's nothing that will make it easy but I seemed to struggle on the really steep stuff more than I thought I would. But while not in big mountains we were at 8k and extremely steep and rugged.

Since this is LRH I feel compelled to mention I took this deer at 0900 with a 7 saum at 640 yards in a light snow.

Not the biggest deer we saw but I believe im taking what the mountain offers and had a GREAT hunt enjoying every minute.

IMG_3388.jpg
IMG_3381.jpg

Last edited:
I've been thinking of looking this thread up. I did 36 miles gaining and loosing ~1000 feet per day. It was national forest so virtually no trails with the exception of the odd elk trail. Lots of rocks and dead falls.

I killed on the last morning of the hunt, day 5 and made the decision to make the 2 mile trek down a canyon to town vs the 4 mile walk to the truck. It was a nasty canyon full of rocks, bolders and dead falls from the burn. My pack with gear and half a deer was 92 pounds.

No knee pain for the entire trip, I was ecstatic regarding my physical fitness except for my cardio. As a flat lander there's nothing that will make it easy but I seemed to struggle on the really steep stuff more than I thought I would. But while not in big mountains we were at 8k and extremely steep and rugged.

Since this is LRH I feel compelled to mention I took this deer at 0900 with a 7 saum at 640 yards in a light snow.

Not the biggest deer we saw but I believe im taking what the mountain offers and had a GREAT hunt enjoying every minute.

View attachment 412387View attachment 412388
I can relate.

I am 54, knees wrecked from army infantry heavy heavy rucking. Knees over toes sled, I use a wheel & tire combo with rope, at times going backwards w rope attached to safety harness belt or forward and I just hold the rope in various positions. The hub hole perfectly fits most of our kettle bell series and there are other ways to attach weight. In the pic you can see my sled and some of our rifle and archery targets in the background. I regularly incorporate shot(s) within the work out rounds. Sometimes its archery, some pistol, some rifle or combo. At times its just a scope change and dry fire or it might be hitting a 9" circle with arrow at 50 yards with a HR of 140-150; great training for all things hunting. I am blessed to have the opportunity to shoot and work out at same location but that doesn't mean you can't think outside the box and create something to mimic mtn hunting and or dry firing a Quality shot under stress.

Other exercises for knees and elk hunting (big Mtn type): Oly lifts DL, BS, FS, PC/HC, SP/PP/PJ. I always hit 3-4 box jumps immediately after putting bar down from OLY Lifts. I have a ladder I climb about 13' of vertical, box step ups, row, lunges weighted w rucksack, rifle or 35# bar mimicking rifle. I typically set up a combination of these + other abs/pushups/pull ups/etc doing 3-10 rounds. Incorporating your actual gear in your work outs will prevent some of the Oopsies this dont work in the mountains.

Sample workout 4 Rounds For Time (RFT) with weight vest or pack on.

Row 300M
jog to bow fire 1 shot @ 50 yds. (bow is hanging near shot location) (if target missed shoot again)
run back complete 5 ladder climbs (from my home gym to my 50 yard line is about 75yards)
1 KOT sled pull carrying rifle 75M dry fire 2X quality shot from 2 different positions along the way (if shot pulled repeat shot)
Sling rifle and drag back to gym (sled behind you instead of in front on way out)
20 step ups with pack & rifle (I use 24" currently and starting out did not carry rifle or pack) (right before hunt this # gets to 50 and ladder climbs go to 15 ea per round) (sadly in a 55 min workout this only equates to about 685' in gain, its not the real deal but I am far from any mountain or significant hill)
10 push ups

Very impressive program.

I appreciate your contribution.

I am so glad to hear back from you.

I love my sled!

We are up to 222 posts in this fourteen year old thread topic from 2008:.

"I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago in early 2007, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.
-

-
-
I'd just like to make a comment on what has worked for me since the above discussion began back in 2008. And remember that I am allergic to all inflammation reducing NSAIDS...aspirin, Aleve, Ibuprofin, etc.

My knees will be 77 years old in four months. Last week I COMFORTABLY completed a solo five day, 57 mile, 12,000 vertical foot both gain and loss backpack trip in the Glacier National Park mountains. I will write about this one next month some time. Photo below.

Earlier this year I did 3 backpack trips to the Grand Canyon including a 44 mile Rim to Rim to Rim, 2 trips to the Tetons and I still have scheduled another short trip to the Tetons plus a fourth, year-2022 gruelling, hard-on-the-knees, backpack trip in the Grand Canyon in early November.

My knees worked well.

In addition to a year round conditioning program consisting of local bike rides and hill climbing on foot, I have been consistently doing a series of stretches.

I don't know the full names of these common stretches but will call them:

Squats
Touch your toes
Achilles stretch

I do these almost every day at home. They are VERY important to my knees.

On a backpack trip I do them ten times in a ten hour hiking day...especially when I feel a little twinge beginning somewhere in a knee joint.

I have also decreased my hiking tempo, and decreased the length of my stride. I also take more 5 minute breaks. I also start the hike segments at 3/4 normal tempo as a means of warming up.

I always use trekking poles.

So...a combination of stretching and strength conditioning.
From day 3 in Glacier Park 2 weeks ago.

View attachment 397297
Glacier National Park is beautiful but also grizzly country. Glad you're okay.

Recent Posts