Exercise for arthritic knees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.

Len, I'm 53 last year I thought I tore the ACL in my left knee,went to Dr. and got a MRI he said no torn ligaments,But lots of Arthritis. I don't know if that was good news or not? I'v been riding a bicycle quite a bit I think that helps. Plus the Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Just my thoughts,Randy

Fat tub o' goo here, found that Krill oil REALLY helped, got from Mercola.com and it did as he said it would, helped in less than three weeks. Background, tore up left knee, two arthroscopic "geniuses" worked on it, no help. Right knee screwed up during rehab for total hip replacement on same leg. Tried MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, etc. The Krill oil did the most good. No pain killers now, just need to remove the weight so that the knees have a chance to heal. +1 on the bike, no shock to the knee and keeps them moving so the body can send something in to heal, no blood in cartilage and ligaments. I think only the interstitial fluid brings whatever repairs joints. Also recc. prayer to the great physician.

Len anthing that you take is just gonna make the pain easier but as long as their is arthritis their its gonna cause some disscomfort. Are you taking any precribed meds for it like Celibrex? a good "NSAID" that Non Steroidal Anti Inflamitory Drug , like Naproxon sodium (Alive) will also help because its the inflamation thats causing the disscomfort. The trouble with most NSAID's is that they generaly are kinda rough on the gutt so if you could get a good prescribed drug that would work better more than likely , and it would/could be taken everyday as a maintainence drug and on the days that your gonna train or hunt or what ever you take the extra over the counter mads to help back up the inflamation.
Also rubbing the joint down with a good topical rub like Capsation-P works well for arthitis
NOTE : wash your hands VERY well after applying this or better yet use rubber gloves , if you rub your eye or touch "Big Jim and the Twins" and their is any trace of it their you will be crying , its the same compound used in peper spray!! and another note the wife will not be happy if their is any trace of it on your hands and their is any fooling around later (trust me on this one)

As far as exercises , anyhting that stress the joint at all , like walking , biking is gonna cause it yo hrt some , things like swimming are better then cycling as they are far less impact to the joint.

I am allergic to all the NSAID's, my eyes swell. Doctor said next time my throat may swell shut. That got my attention. Interesting about the bike idea.

I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.

You need to get your M.D. to write a prescription for physical therapy-water therapy. There are also new injectable joint fluid replacement agents that can work fairly well ( e.g., SUPARTZ).

Ultimately, total joint replacement is the only permanent relief.

Try this excercise

Len

Sit on the floor with your back aginst the wall or you couch with your legs straight out in front of you like you were stretching.

Now curl you toes back and try to keep you leg strait.

Next lift you whole leg off the ground strait up about 12" or higher if you can do this 8 to 10 times then switch to the other leg. Do each leg 3 times.

If you do this once a day it will help strengthen your knee

I also would talk to your doctor about Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

I also have know idea what you look like but or how fit you are.

Thanks, guys. I use both of those over the counter items. I am pretty fit, cardio is usually not an issue, though it was a little last year because I was too lazy to get back into hunting shape after my surgery. But this year cardio won't be an issue.

But, hey, I don't want to give you the wrong impression about my physical condition or my Montana hunting buddy will get scared of what he has to deal with in November. :)

The bicycle. Best for knees and the whole body. Biking builds abs too if you want that boyish 6pack the ladies love. Get high priced seat though or you'll be more bowlegged than a saddle bronc rider. If you get a good qual mtn bike you can use it for hunting, great for sneaking thru the woods faster than walking speed. We just bought two 'Specialized' brand bikes on sale from our local bike shop. Mines red, wifes is blue. Mine will soon be camo(taped). Good luck with them bad knees. I feel your pain(daily).

Len,

Heartily agree with the bicycle recommendations. Very low impact and great range of movement on the knees. I have a couple of beat up jumpers knees and regularly use a bike as well as leg presses (after 2 months have maxed out on the machine weight stack) and primarily a quad machine (sit down, legs at 90 degree and lift the weights). Quad primarily used to strengthen muscles around knee to keep patella from slipping. Know that on particularly bad days, I use an elliptical machine that stays pretty horizontal and helps a bunch.

I guess the bottom line is find something that you can do regularly to get the old hinges moving without a lot of stress/impact on them.

Hope it helps.

Be well,

Mark

I played football through college and had a cup of coffee in Canada but always hunted and skied I'm 51 years I have had both knees scoped 7-8 time I found the CURE TWO YEARS AGO march 08 I had my right knee replaced and was hunting in Montana in November was in a car wreck in Jan of 09 and had my other knee replaced in April and I was hunting today opening weeked in California and will be in Colorado elk hunting in November I have not been this pain free in 5 years. Ask your Dr. about replacement still can't do any hi impact work outs ever again but I ride 15 - 20 miles on the bike 3 time a week

Status
Not open for further replies.