Exercise for arthritic knees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put a backpack on with weight in it. also walk backwards uphill. It is a really good exercise.
Patrick found that older people in Japan will walk backward to maintain strength and good knee health. Make sense that if you walked backward up a hill, you would be accomplishing the same thing. You could adjust the effort by the amount of weight you put in your pack.

It would also be an aerobic work-out.

I just discovered, accidentally, another way to help old knees. About 6 years ago my knees started deteriorating fast. Recently my health has improved and my knees with it. I had, 5 years ago, started wearing "zip lock", soft shoes because of balance problems and a shuffling gait. As my health improved I decided to start wearing my cowboy boots again. My knees have greatly improved in just a few weeks. Then I read this thread as it was resurrected and noticed the comments about walking backwards and realized that the high heel cowboy boots were exercising the same muscles.
I think its a simple way to help your knees.

I just discovered, accidentally, another way to help old knees. About 6 years ago my knees started deteriorating fast. Recently my health has improved and my knees with it. I had, 5 years ago, started wearing "zip lock", soft shoes because of balance problems and a shuffling gait. As my health improved I decided to start wearing my cowboy boots again. My knees have greatly improved in just a few weeks. Then I read this thread as it was resurrected and noticed the comments about walking backwards and realized that the high heel cowboy boots were exercising the same muscles.
I think its a simple way to help your knees.
Glad your health has improved. And it's always nice to have good (better) knees on which to enjoy your improved health.

Cowboy boots. Interesting. Worth a try. Thanks!

This is my 2 cents for anyone suffering from sore knees.

1. Get an MRI if insurance will pay for it. You'll need that so your insurance will help pay for some, and hopefully all that's needed.

2. If you've already had surgery or have arthritis but don't need surgery, see if you can get a script for PT. PT will go a long way in teaching you what to do on your own, when the script for PT runs out. Find the best "sports" PT in the area and go as often as you can and do extra at home. If insurance won't pay for it, search YouTube for "PT for arthritic knees" and save 4 - 5 different routines and do them at least 2-4 times a week, depending on tolerance and pain. If your progressing well, I would recommend changing your rehab routine, every 2-3 weeks to continue improvements. If you have pain returns or is persistent, go back to Dr or seek another opinion.

3. Back to initial Dr. visit and MRI….. After receiving a diagnosis for arthritis, ask your Dr or better yet, your orthopedic, for Uflexxa (sic) shots in the knee. They don't hurt, are all natural and the visit take only a few minutes. Uflexza are shots of the sodium Hyalironate (sic), a fluid that lubricates the inside of your knees. Most insurances will pay for these every 6 months and can be life changing for many with moderate to severe arthritis in the knees.

Something else that you can do, that may help, are stem cell shots. Not all stem cell shots are the same and costs can be really high. You always get what you pay for, if they are hurting bad enough and you have the resources, do your homework and make sure that you aren't getting a cheap substitute. Your insurance won't cover the stem cells, so negotiating the price and/or finding a Dr that hunts as well, always helps!

4. Supplements- Someone mentioned Krill Oil earlier. Krill Oil will go a long way to treating those with less severe arthritis. Everyone who's active and/or played sports when they were young should take KO. Make sure that your getting Krill oil that's processed in the USA. Avoid cheap, foreign substitutes. If Krill Oil isn't available, the standard fish oil from the USA can help.

Another daily recommendation is collagen protein. Like Krill oil, supplementing with collagen will generally help those with less severe arthritis. For those with moderate to severe arthritis, a good made in the USA collagen protein with vit C is a must. There are many types, I suggest you try a few to see what works best for you. In addition to those MUST use supplements, vitamin D3, glucosamine and chrondrotin have all shown promise.

5. Topicals- Anything that contains capsaicin will make the knees "feel better" but no, zero, topical works better on arthritic knee pain than Voltaren Gel. For years Voltaren was a prescription tablet that was used orally, they then started making it in a prescription strength gel and now it's available over the counter. Use it at night after showering and upon rising in the morning.

6. NSAID's- These things work, but they are hard on the gut. Aleve offers you the biggest bang for the buck and you don't have to take as much, so, you save wear and tear on the gut. Prescriptions of celebrex work well to, but like the OTC's, they can cause damage to the gut. Always take them with food and make sure that you're drinking lots of water.

7. Steroids- No, I'm not talking about HET, I talking steroids for inflammation… A medrol dose pack or shot will offer some short term relief, but will not get rid of your issues. Use with caution and only when necessary!

8. Lastly is exercise.. If all the above doesn't help, your mountain hunting days are probably over and you'll be limited to riding the 4x4 to the stand and sitting with the kids and grand kids. NOT A BAD PROBLEM!!! If you're able to get out and walk and/or ride a bike, I suggest you do that. I would recommend a fitness tracker, garmin or polar watch to track your progress. Gradually add time, distance and/or load in the pack and plan rest weeks every 3-4 weeks for recovery. Reduce the time, distance and load by 30% for 5-7 days and begin the progression again. Set obtainable goals and start far enough out from the big hunt or season so that you don't have to rush your preparation.

I hope this helpa! If you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me, my schedule is wide open.

Happy Hunting!

Len get the long Cortisone needle a week prior to season. Look up knee exercises using strength ban's that is what keeps my knees on track for hunting season and skiing.

Len get the long Cortisone needle a week prior to season. Look up knee exercises using strength ban's that is what keeps my knees on track for hunting season and skiing.
`DONT GET CORTISONE! iF YOU VALUE WHAT YOU STILL HAVE DONT DESTROY THE BONE WITH CORTISONE. iT ROTS THE BONE TO MAKE IT SOFT AND MUSHY AND IT WILL NEVER COME BACK.

If you injure your knee it swells. The inflammation that occurs is where the arthritis forms the quicker you can minimize the swelling the less chances for developing arthritis. Cortisone needs to be spaced out at a minimum of three months preferred at least six months. If you continually need cortisone shots then yes you are correct or you have bone on bone contact. Then it is time to consider knee replacement. Synovial fluid replacement is a temporary fix also it may last longer for some.

Both knees bone on bone, replaced both, 2017, 2018. Shoulder Othoquack highly suggested both shoulders be replaced. Too painful to move, can't raise either arm above shoulder height. The only time they feel better when I am on my tapered 40 mg of Prednisone during severe Asthma flare-ups.... at 70 I just refuse to go through two more major surgeries and associated rehabs...

Have no idea what contributed to the joint demise.. maybe cumulative effect of steroids over the years for Asthma flare-up..... or maybe just like an old car who knows what's going to break..

Last edited:
I use Copaiba for inflammation. Dilute 1 oz of Copaiba with 29 Oz of Olive oil then I rub into the front, just below my knee, 2 drops of the dilution. It is very powerfull. But it doesnt work for surgery. When I broke my shoulder 10 mo ago it did nothing for that. BUT, a broken shoulder is just about a bad as you can insult your body and not be lethal. It works well for arthritis and I also use it on my thumb that has arthritis and get IMMEDIATE relief. That and chrondrotin Sulphate (powdered, 1 tsp in my coffee in the morning, cant taste it) have gotten me back on my feet. I even tromp around the desert in Terlingua carrying a 60 pound, 50BMG rifle. It works so good that when all is well I forget to take my medicine till it starts hurting again. LOL

Both knees bone on bone, replaced both, 2017, 2018. Shoulder Othoquack highly suggested both shoulders be replaced. Too painful to move, can't raise either arm above shoulder height. The only time they feel better when I am on my tapered 40 mg of Prednisone during severe Asthma flare-ups.... at 70 I just refuse to go through twoore major surgeries and associated rehabs...

Have no idea what contributed to the joint demise.. maybe cumulative effect of steroids over the years for Asthma flare-up..... or maybe just like an old car who knows what's going to break..

Hang in there with the PT

I had a total on my right shoulder in Feb, doing great!

Left knee I had a total done the 3rd week of June. I'll be ready to rock and roll for fall bear and birds come mid Sept!

How old are you that you are recovered from knee surgery (replacement?) in just three months?

I wouldn't say totally recovered but doing extremely well! Going down stairs still sucks a bit.

I'm 63 and the surgery was June 22nd, so about 7 weeks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.