Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

The eld x line do ok on game but be aware the core will come apart on some. I dont know if it will affect how dead an animal is but i have some good pics of how they tear up deer and elk.

Hope I can put one in deer this weekend. If so, I'll post results.

OK I got to go hunt this afternoon and DID put one in a deer. The results are not good. Shot the deer behind the shoulder, 205 yards. It bucked 3 times, fell down, got back up and staggered into the swamp. We looked for several hours, didn't find it, and did not find blood. I will not shoot at another deer with an ELD-X. I am done with them. I'll go back to Interlocks which have worked great for me for years. I have a full box of 6.5mm 143gr ELD-X, and about 35 7mm 162gr that will be happy to sell if anyone wants them.

Hornady's Premium Hunter line with the 200 g ELD-X in 300 Win Mag is a slow loading. Maybe if they want to sell them they should load them to over 2900 fps instead of 2800 fps.

I'm pushing the same bullet at better than 2950 fps.

I picked up two boxes each in .300wm and .300Rum that I have yet to do any shooting with but now you're making me feel lazy.

I'll do my best to get out and run a few through this week and give my own report.

I am sincerely appreciative of Hornady to going to the trouble to develop the Precision Hunter line and if we expect them to keep running with it we have to buy and shoot it.

I need to break in the new .260's as well so I'm out of excuses since it appears were done with the hundred plus degree wether at least for the next week or ten days.

OK I got to go hunt this afternoon and DID put one in a deer. The results are not good. Shot the deer behind the shoulder, 205 yards. It bucked 3 times, fell down, got back up and staggered into the swamp. We looked for several hours, didn't find it, and did not find blood. I will not shoot at another deer with an ELD-X. I am done with them. I'll go back to Interlocks which have worked great for me for years. I have a full box of 6.5mm 143gr ELD-X, and about 35 7mm 162gr that will be happy to sell if anyone wants them.

That really sucks. I hate losing game. I have several boxes of 6.5 and some 200 30 cal aslo. I haven't messed with working up loads after hearing some mixed results. I think I'll just stick to my accubonds and ballistic tips. I know they work

That really sucks. I hate losing game.

Yeah it will haunt me forever. I've been hunting deer since 1981, and shoot as many as 12 a year, and have never lost one that was visibly hit. I have lost 2 other deer in all my years, and I believe they were clean misses based on their reaction to the shot and lack of blood. I started out with Remington CoreLokt and used those for years, switched to Ballistic Tips for a couple years, and have been using Interlocks for the past 11-12 years. I'm going to stick with what works for me.

I am going to go back and look for it some more this afternoon.

Shot placement is more important than the bullet. If you hit them where they need to be hit then they will go down plain and simple. Now im not saying go out and shoot a deer with a varmint bullet or anything like that the proper bullet still needs to be used. Ive used the A-max with great succes on whitetail, and I will be using the ELD-X this fall. Put a ELD-X where it belongs i believe it will work just fine.

Shot placement is more important than the bullet. If you hit them where they need to be hit then they will go down plain and simple. Now im not saying go out and shoot a deer with a varmint bullet or anything like that the proper bullet still needs to be used. Ive used the A-max with great succes on whitetail, and I will be using the ELD-X this fall. Put a ELD-X where it belongs i believe it will work just fine.

+1 on the A-max and I think the overall results on the ELDX will be positive; especially at long range. Things happen which are difficult to explain when ANY bullet is used enough times. Without a body to autopsy, there is no way of knowing exactly what happened.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.