Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

+1 on the A-max and I think the overall results on the ELDX will be positive; especially at long range. Things happen which are difficult to explain when ANY bullet is used enough times. Without a body to autopsy, there is no way of knowing exactly what happened.....Rich

The A-max has served me very well out of the 6.5 CM. My wife shot an 8 point with my 7mm RM and the 162 A-max at around 80 yards and that was alittle too explosive. Never exited and ruined the whole entrance side of the rib cage. Ill never use that bullet at thise speeds agian, but She hit it where she should have though so he didn't go anywhere. Im very excited to see the results of the ELD-X. I have no doubt it will perform better than the A-max.

I shot an elk last season with my 300wm Savage at 588 yards and Nossler brass 215-m primer Retumbo powder and a 208 A-max and I hit the 10 ring and it just stood their for about 45 seconds and fell over stone dead. MV is 3019 FPS and the A-max exploded all over the vitals and the jacket was stuck on the other side of the elk and I found it when I skinned it. It was the fastest and most humane kill I have seen on an elk they are a very large animal and it takes a well place shot to take them down. I also like Bergers but my Savage just wont shoot them. Alot of hunters talk about what a bullet does to an animal but as we know all good tings come to he that can shoot straight. gun)

If you stop and think about it, the ELDX is basically a combo of the A-max and Interlock with a higher b.c. They use the AMP jacket with a ballistic tip and have the crimp in the jacket like an Interlock.....Rich

If you stop and think about it, the ELDX is basically a combo of the A-max and Interlock with a higher b.c. They use the AMP jacket with a ballistic tip and have the crimp in the jacket like an Interlock.....Rich

Yep I haven't had the chance to load up any test rounds but i suspect they will shoot just like the A-max but hold together better on game animals

Yes I'am playing with them now still working up a powder test with the 212-g but have only shot no better than 1-1/2 groups @ 100 but I have new brass still fire-forming and have not neck turned yet but they look like I can get them to do want I want to. I'am very curious to find out how well the new BC will Aline with the ballistic calculators in real shooting yardages ?gun)

The b.c. with the 143's fired in my SS was SPOT on out to 1300 yards. The accuracy was not bad either. Sorry for the fuzzy pic taken with my flip top!. The 3 shots looked like a 270 hole; in fact it measured .278".......Rich
6.5ss .014" group.jpg

6.5SS 143eldx @ 1100 yds..jpg

The b.c. with the 143's fired in my SS was SPOT on out to 1300 yards. The accuracy was not bad either. Sorry for the fuzzy pic taken with my flip top!. The 3 shots looked like a 270 hole; in fact it measured .278".......Rich
View attachment 65212

View attachment 65213

Looks like they shoot great! Its great to know the BC is correct. Ill only be able to test out to 800 as thats as far as i can find a place to shoot. Looking forward to more animals taken with this bullet so we can get a better idea on how it does at both close and long range.

Hey guys, so the story goes I picked my cousin Derek up from college and the two of us went aoudad hunting. The first evening after about an hour and a half of waiting at the spot I figured would give us the highest probability of success a medium size aoudad stepped out roughly 21". After talking with me we decide to take it so no matter what he'd be taking one home. I ranged him at 205 and I elected to not do any sort of hold off. He placed the round from my 6.5creed perfectly in the neck/shoulder junction dropping it in it tracks. Here's the exit with the shoulder pulled off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 79
Hey guys, so the story goes I picked my cousin Derek up from college and the two of us went aoudad hunting. The first evening after about an hour and a half of waiting at the spot I figured would give us the highest probability of success a medium size aoudad stepped out roughly 21". After talking with me we decide to take it so no matter what he'd be taking one home. I ranged him at 205 and I elected to not do any sort of hold off. He placed the round from my 6.5creed perfectly in the neck/shoulder junction dropping it in it tracks. Here's the exit with the shoulder pulled off.

Looks like it did the job just fine! Congrats........Rich

The next morning we went to a different location to see what else was moving around. around 7:40 I spotted a herd just 70 yards away down and left of us in the canyon. I spotted through the bush what I thought was the biggest of the bunch that I could see. It was my turn to shoot but I decided to let Derek have another go. With no shot available we waited for him to move down further or to the right. What seemed like a while was only about a minute or two a monster came around and in front of the bush. I got extremely excited I told Derek get on him to which his reply was which one to which I replied the f###ing big one. He called out on him and right when I told him to send it the shot rang out and I watched the big ram drop where he stood just 72 yards away. All said and done the ram weighed 305 pounds and had 30" horns and 13" bases. We struggled to load him up but we got it done. Shot was roughly the same as the last right in the shoulder/neck junction.

Thing got interesting for me, the round did not exit which I was surprised but not at the same time. We got the hide off and opened him up some brushing was present on the entry side lung keep in mind the round didn't go in to the chest cavity, it was just forward of it. Things got even more interesting when we pulled off the shoulders and there was no hold present on the other side. The round went in on the first 1/3 of the shoulder looking at it Right to left through the shoulder blade and stopped half way into the vertebrae and broke a couple of the in half left and right of the hole. That was around .5" diameter. I managed to recover what's left of the bullet. I'll have to measure and weigh it when I get home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.