Hornady ELD-X bullets

Saw the 7mm 162 ELD M at a Sportsmans in St George while on vacation last week and made a mistake, not picking them up. Has anyone gotten their hands on the 162gr or 175gr ELD X yet?

Saw the 7mm 162 ELD M at a Sportsmans in St George while on vacation last week and made a mistake, not picking them up. Has anyone gotten their hands on the 162gr or 175gr ELD X yet?
I talked to hornady this week. They are going to start producing them later this month. Should start shipping middle march the said.

Here is a really good technical PDF attachment below off the Hornady website with lots of info and photos comparing many bullets and ultimately the ELD-X. Pretty impressive results especially compared to the Barnes TTSX 300 win mag I've been shooting.

Check it out.

Robert

Attachments

• ELD-X_ELD-Match_Technical_Details_sm.pdf
    804.6 KB · Views: 220
Sportsman's has had the 200 and 212 gr ELD-X every time I've been in there the last few weeks.
A box of the 200's made it's way home with me yesterday.

I'll give a report as soon as the gun is finished.

My gunsmith got one box of the 7mm 162 ELD- match and reported he shot his personal best group @ just over 1,000 yds with 7-08 and minimal work up. Just plugged in Amax numbers.

I am new to reloading, so new that I have yet to do it but have the equipment.

Anyway I was running numbers to load up some 208 Amax for my Tikka T3 30-06 22.5" barrel 1-11 twist, but when I went to sportsman to get them I saw the 200 eld-x, 220 eld-x, and the 208 eld rounds. I ended up leaving with some Accubond LR 190s on an impulse after seeing the G7 value on the box and that stout back end on them.

I already had 10lbs of RL-17 power to start working up loads with, figured the powder would be more effective with a lighter bullet for 30-06, Lighter bullet would do better with the 1-11 twist, and the ABLR 190s are supposed to have ballistics that are just as good (according to the box) as the 208 AMAX.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on why the heavier ELD-X bullets might be better? Any real world experience?

I want a "kill deer or elk out to 1000 yards round" (slim to none chance of ever taking shot beyond 700). I liked the 208 AMax round due to being big enough to kill close up even if it comes apart and jacketed light enough to still mushroom at 1000 yards, at least that was my thought process.

Bringing this back up. Looking for real world experiences mainly 212 gr eldx, just seeing if all the hipe proved out? I've been shooting Berger's for several years now and just thinking about a change.

I think they are a decent bullet. Check out swamplords posts from a while back. I think him or his buddy shot a nice moose at quite a ways out with this bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.