help trouble shooting chamber issue

For what it's worth I have personally in the last year have witnessed 3 Remington 700 rifles with bad chambers. Not that this is the case with you but the ones with bad chambers had a multitude of other issues also which pretty much rendered them worthless, I would suggest you take to a gunsmith and have it checked out, the one of the 3 was mine and it was so bad I just threw every thing but the action away and built another rifle with it. But that's a awfully bad waste of money. But again I would strongly suggest you have that chamber checked out

Had a friend who owned 3 M1A's. The last one he bought buggered the brass a bit. He called them, they wanted it back, they upgraded him to a Douglas barrel with a match chamber. Most gun companies are solid customer service firms in my experience. Call Remington, and let them diagnose and fix the issue.

Lots of shooters try to pull the bolt back hard when a fired round gets stuck in the chamber. Like most rifles, the Rem 700 bolt first needs to be lifted "all the way" up.

Other things to consider:

- Lube the unlocking cam on your bolt (at the rear).
- Remove all traces of sizing lube from your handloads.
- Do NOT over-polish your chamber.
- Verify the headspace (clearance) that your rounds have in YOUR chamber.
- Compare the diameter of your cases at the pressure ring, and see if this is your problem.

Too many "custom" chambers are too tight at the body. When a round is chambered . . . . it's already a press fit.

Last edited:
Send it back to Remington. It's a burr that you can probably see if you flip the rifle over, open up the bottom metal. It's a burr from the reamer. Just had the same exact issue with my Ruger. They polished it up and checked headspace issues as well. They might spend a little more time on it this time. I didn't have the rough pull like you did but it could become a safety issue if you reload because it is imprinting in the brass. The other problem is you will never know when you are really close to problem pressures because your always pulling the case over the burr.
IMG_E4502.JPG

From the photo of the four cases if you measure from the base to the mark there appears to be a slight difference. Also if the chamber had a nick like that I would expect the case would show some drag marks. Three options . One borescope. Two chamber cast. Three remove the ejector and fire a case. I have seen this happen to a case when it is extracted and hits the action. You may be able to open the bolt slow and stop the case before the ejector kicks it out.

Good Luck

The nick comes from a burr inside the chamber. When the chamber expands on initial firing. It makes the mark. Then the cartridge shrinks and you don't usually see a drag mark or feel it. This rifle could have other issues that would be checked by Remington. If the neck is too tight or any other chamber intolerances. He could just have a gunsmith polish it out, but they might fix other things that might be an issue from the production run. It is a Rum after all.

The safest thing to do is send the rifle back. Let Remington deal with the problem. What will be the next thing to do if all this polishing does not cure the problem. What if the polishing makes it worse?

brand new 700 lr 300 rum been having problems with spent cartridges sticking i backed off acouple grains and shortened my coal dosent stick as bad but still sticks been getting gouges in my cases and can see brass on the bottom of the chamber but there inconsistent in location on brass and in chamber see multiple marks. only using 76grains of imr7828 225eldm and brand new norma brass this is the first ive steped back into a large magnum since i had issues with my first, so if you guys could help me out with cause and solution itd be mutch appreciated.
View attachment 112686
Hi the marks on the case are in different positions so it is impossible to be a chamber issue, a chip in the reamer flute will be consistent on every case, cycle some dummy loads through the magazine and into the chamber and extract you will probably find the same marks. With a Rem 700 it could be a primary extraction problem with the action, if the bolt handle comes all the way up and doesn't pull the case out from the chamber it's an action issue (primary extraction) If you can lift the bolt handle up and the extractor slips off the rim ripping some brass, your primary extraction is OK then you have a stuck case issue. On some of your cases the marks seem to have a fine lip on them which has been flattened after firing that shows that the mark was on the case before firing, and being so small would not cause the sticking problem. The most important thing is to find the exact problem before you can fix it, jumping to random fixes usually just wastes time and money and mostly creates a bigger problem. If your action checks out OK, and it is a stuck case issue, you have to "read" your brass to find the problem, check for pressure signs, alignment, case length, case head expansion and so on. Pressure is usually the problem especially in large capacity cases, load density is a problem that has serious consequences that affects your peak pressure and can sometimes cause secondary affect problems. First thing to do is to fire a factory cartridge if it doesn't stick it's your load and not the rifle at fault. If you have to take your rifle to a gunsmith ask them check it and give you a definite answer for the problem, many gunsmith's just do everything hoping to fix a problem, guessing and I think it's this or it may be that, are not answers to a problem.

That matk is from a chip stuck in the reamer. Contact Remington before spending money on a gunsmith. If they don't come through then seek a gunsmith. Those look pretty deep. Polishing might not be enough, you might need a quick pass with a reamer and depending how deep, might need to set the barrel back one turn. And I bet you it gets harder to extract when you get the barrel warm.

i appreciate all the responses. definatley looks like it has a burr, called customer service but apparently there not open on the weekends so ill try agin monday
20181208_140628.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.