Savage chamber issue

tmoxley

My rifle setup is a stock savage 10 fcp in a manners stock. No work to the action or barrel. It has shot 3/4 moa since I got it from the factory in 2016. I went to a long range shooting course the other day. Midway through the course I went to eject an unspent round from the chamber before moving to a different position. When I pulled the bolt back the casing and powder came flying out and the bullet remained in the barrel. Some instructors tapped the bullet out with a rod and chalked the issue up to a dirty gun. I took the rifle home and cleaned it up with wipe out. As far as I can tell the barrel/ chamber are now free of carbon/copper build up; however, when I chamber a round I still have to apply a decent amount of forward pressure on the bolt to rotate it. When I extract the rounds they come out easy but the bullets are marred. The worst thing is, I think it has been doing this since I bought it, but I never thought twice about it. Should I be concerned? Is it possible the chamber is a no go on sizing? I have tried it with FGMM and Israeli razorcore with the same result.

Attachments

• 20190902_071301.jpg
    20190902_071301.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 193
I had a factory savage that was short throated like this... I ended up rebarreling. This could cause some pressure spikes, might want to have a gunsmith look at this...

Are the scratches on the bullet a result of one time in and out? Or from multiple times. They actually look too close together to be from a 6 land barrel.
I've seen marks like this in a new chamber but they will "shoot" out after just a few rounds.
The location however is at the rear of the throat and it could very well be a carbon ring. These normally are a hard to clean. Normal cleaning methods might not touch it.
A look with a borescope will show it plain as day if that is the problem. The borescope will also pin-point a short throat as was mentioned.
I would try a good scrubbing with a nylon brush & CLR if it was a carbon ring. Of coarse I have a bore cam to watch progress. They say CLR won't hurt it and I've used it. It really cuts carbon fast.
Imho,
Good luck,
Randy

Yes that is from one time in and out. The marring is almost a continuous ring around the bullet . I will continue cleaning diligently in case it is a carbon ring. If the patches continuously come out clean and I still have the issue, will go/no go gauges tell me if the throat is too short? I think I know a local shooter that would let me borrow theirs

I don't believe a go/no go gauge will help. The gauge will check the chamber, not the throat.
If it does have a short throat, fire lap with bullets embedded with lapping compound such as Tubbs final finish.
You won't know for sure without a borescope. It could also be a copper ring that's been shaved off the bullets and have built up.
What is your cleaning procedure and what cleaners do you use? Do you use Wipeout alone without using brushes?

+1 on ERod579's post; go & no-go gauges only reference shoulder to base length.
The continuous ring kind of leads to presence of carbon ring or the copper ring mentioned above. Also a chamber not concentric to bore will do this but not all the way around the bullet. The same would be true with very "crooked" hand loads.
When I mentioned CLR I forgot to mention it will damage blueing (blueing is controlled "rust").
A smith might be able to clean up your chamber with a reamer by running it a hair deeper. Being it's a Savage money might be better spent on a replacement barrel.
Keep us posted

My cleaning procedure originally was just Hoppes #9 wiped through.... it's always worked ok on my other guns. The guys at the class educated me a little on cleaning, so I have moved on to wipe out and mc-7

Try some Shooters Choice solvent. Use a brush to break things up, then follow with patches. If you see a turquoise color, you are seeing copper. Keep cleaning. You can also try some more aggressive copper removing solvents. but be very careful with them. Leave bon too long and it screws up your barrel.

Yes, it appears to be into the lands, and you do not want this. I had similar problem with a Savage .223 and a used barrel I bought. It was a 1-7" twist and would not take 75 grainers. Gunsmith said it was short chambered. He ran a throating reamer in it which solved the problem. Charged me $65.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.