help trouble shooting chamber issue

azdesertrat

brand new 700 lr 300 rum been having problems with spent cartridges sticking i backed off acouple grains and shortened my coal dosent stick as bad but still sticks been getting gouges in my cases and can see brass on the bottom of the chamber but there inconsistent in location on brass and in chamber see multiple marks. only using 76grains of imr7828 225eldm and brand new norma brass this is the first ive steped back into a large magnum since i had issues with my first, so if you guys could help me out with cause and solution itd be mutch appreciated.
20181204_153747.jpg

Last edited:
is the gun ejecting the brass out and hitting something? thats how it look to me. i would try backing off a little more on the powder and see if that helps the sticking. What velocity are you getting?

no not hitting anything matter of fact i started at 78grains and i think i was right at the lands id have to use a cleaning rod to knock the bolt open, havent crono'd just 7 rounds into break in and hornady lists max load at 84 grains for that bullet and powder

That appears unlikely due to hitting something something on extraction. Looks more like a high, sharp burr from the reamer. They can often be polished out, but there is a limit to how much. I'd check with a good smith to borescope it and perhaps he can smooth it out. Other option is send it back to Remington.

That appears unlikely due to hitting something something on extraction. Looks more like a high, sharp burr from the reamer. They can often be polished out, but there is a limit to how much. I'd check with a good smith to borescope it and perhaps he can smooth it out. Other option is send it back to Remington.

my first thought was something not right with the chamber but the marks are in different spots on the case. i would def get it check out though.

if it were mine i would mark a few cases with a black marker and shoot them. load all the cases with the black mark up and see if it gouges the cases in the same spot.

The brass looks like there is a protrusion on the wall of the chamber. If you don't have a bore scope, Take the bolt out and look down the bolt bore raceway into the chamber with a flashlight you should be able to see the defect. If you push a cleaning patch up to the shoulder neck junction , that will reflect the light back into the chamber and knock down the light reflection. It'll show right up.
Richard Hilts
Hilts Custom Rifles

my first thought was something not right with the chamber but the marks are in different spots on the case. i would def get it check out though.

if it were mine i would mark a few cases with a black marker and shoot them. load all the cases with the black mark up and see if it gouges the cases in the same spot.
There are 3 of 4 cases that are very close to same length from case head. I missed the fourth case being slightly closer. That case appears to have a shallower mark.

A long burr, like when the reamer catches a chip, can be flexible to some extent. Knocking the case free could possibly move the burr end slightly. A borescope would tell for sure. If I had it in hand, I go do a lot better job of troubleshooting. LOL

sorry was butchering an elk, it does look like there could be a burr or two its hard to tell eye balling it maby ill pick up one of those almost bore scopes from the as seen on tv isle at wally world for a better look after work tomorrow. would i just need to take it to have the chamber pollished then if thats the case?

what issues would i have to worry about with trying to have it polished out? or would i be better off contacting remington and seeing if theyll replace or refund it?

The marks look to be in the same place on all the cases. It looks like there is something in the chamber like a tooling mark or a bad burr marking them?
If it forced the brass to form around the burr it would be almost keyed together?

You might check the timing in your bolt. Chances are the bolt handle and extraction cam on the receiver aren't making contact at all. Most of the newer Remington's don't. I ran into that on a new 300wm lo. It wouldn't extract shells without getting rough with it. Maybe not your issue but something to check.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.