Help Needed Diagnosing Bedding Issue

Tumbleweed

Could really use some help from experienced stock bedders. This is a factory stock off of a Rem 721. It has been bedded to the recoil lug with Devcon 10110. I have been having some consistency issues trying to work up a load with this thing and have pretty much ruled everything else out.

In troubleshooting I pulled the stock off tonight and applied a light coat of white lubriplate grease on the bottom of the receiver metal and lightly snugged up the receiver screws to see if I had consistent contact. I did not fully contact in the areas around the main receiver screws.
When I torque the screws down it will pull the stock in and make full contact. I noticed on the bottom of the receiver there are several spots where the blueing has been rubbed off.
From a lot of years working in the diesel industry this looks a lot like "fretting" we would see between main bearing cap bolt heads and the main bearing cap. It indicated the surfaces were working against each other ever so slightly. Is this what's going on here? The recoil lug has a great fit, I wouldn't think the stock could move around this much. Please advise! Greatly appreciated!

Bare metal just behind recoil lug
IMG_0132.JPG

Bare metal on bottom of receiver behind trigger around rear screw threads
IMG_0131.JPG

Bare metal showing on sides of receiver as well
IMG_0130.JPG

It's hard to see but to the right of the rear receiver screw hole where the devcon meets the wood there is a spot in the wood where the finish has been rubbed off of the wood
IMG_0129.JPG

It is very hard to repair a bedding job.

The best thing to do is re-bed it. There are lots of videos of this and plenty of help on this site also.

MidwayUSA - Video Library

I would also pillar it to stop the compression issue. Clean/remove all of the original bedding, Install pillars, and do a stress free bedding (Don't use the action screws for bedding, only to install the pillars. use spring clamps or surgical tubing to hold the action in the stock while bedding.

J E CUSTOM

It is very hard to repair a bedding job.

The best thing to do is re-bed it. There are lots of videos of this and plenty of help on this site also.

MidwayUSA - Video Library

I would also pillar it to stop the compression issue. Clean/remove all of the original bedding, Install pillars, and do a stress free bedding (Don't use the action screws for bedding, only to install the pillars. use spring clamps or surgical tubing to hold the action in the stock while bedding.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you! I'm just gonna do a fresh bed job but with pillars this time. I had debated on trying to skim bed it to fill in those minute low spots. The pillar bed job looks like the best solution by far so that's what I'll do.
Thinking of getting some 1/4" schedule 80 pipe to make the pillars with. I have a socket that when wrapped with one layer of sandpaper produces within .005" of the receiver diameter. This should work well to contour the pillars to the receiver.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.