Help Needed for Infrared Rifle Scope

memtb

I apologize if this topic has been addressed ……but, my search found nothing!

I would like to get an infrared rifle scope of good quality that will withstand high recoil…..something greater than that produced by a lightweight .338 WM!

Thanks in advance! memtb

I apologize if this topic has been addressed ……but, my search found nothing!

I would like to get an infrared rifle scope of good quality that will withstand high recoil…..something greater than that produced by a lightweight .338 WM!

Thanks in advance! memtb
Hunting Elk at night???

Technically, its not an infrared scope -- it's a night vision scope that uses add on infrared lights to intensify the captured image.

There are several different technologies used-- some better than others, some more expensive than others--- "night vision scope" is a pretty generic term.

Are you looking for stand alone NV, clip on, dual day/night modes, thermal?
What distances are you looking for and what magnification? How far do you hope to see your target--- reflective/paper, or fur?

NV can be used with just ambient light from moon/stars, but if you are in dense cover, moonless or cloud covered sky or other lightless situations then add on infrared lights help and can extend your viewing distance

Our NV can take up to a .50 BMG.
Got to get out behind our home. The Yotes are Yodeling like crazy. I have to restrain Cassie. She and Maximus have LED Collars so we know where they are.
We purchased a NIB Fox Pro X1 from a LFH member so need to get out and use it to call some Yotes/Bobs in. My neck is still giving me a lot of grief , but if I hunt, the thrill of it takes my mind off of the pain. Loaded with Yotes behind our home and have several hundred acres down the road that we have access to for Hogs & Yotes.
All you Gals & Guys keep me motivated with all your stories of hunting, shooting and Builds!!
Thanks much!
Len & Jill

Technically, its not an infrared scope -- it's a night vision scope that uses add on infrared lights to intensify the captured image.

There are several different technologies used-- some better than others, some more expensive than others--- "night vision scope" is a pretty generic term.

Are you looking for stand alone NV, clip on, dual day/night modes, thermal?
What distances are you looking for and what magnification? How far do you hope to see your target--- reflective/paper, or fur?

NV can be used with just ambient light from moon/stars, but if you are in dense cover, moonless or cloud covered sky or other lightless situations then add on infrared lights help and can extend your viewing distance

I apologize…..I used the wrong terminology! I meant a thermal scope….I really should proof-read my posts more carefully!

I'm looking for a thermal that will mount on a Picatinny Rail via a quick release system, really no need for more than 8x magnification, rechargeable via USB type system, possibly a range finder, multiple reticle choices, multiple color options, can handle heavy recoil, able to pick up an image somewhere beyond 500 yards, and is of good quality.

It seems that many claim to offer these things and more…..but good image quality and overall unit quality are paramount! memtb

I apologize…..I used the wrong terminology! I meant a thermal scope….I really should proof-read my posts more carefully!

I'm looking for a thermal that will mount on a Picatinny Rail via a quick release system, really no need for more than 8x magnification, rechargeable via USB type system, possibly a range finder, multiple reticle choices, multiple color options, can handle heavy recoil, able to pick up an image somewhere beyond 500 yards, and is of good quality.

It seems that many claim to offer these things and more…..but good image quality and overall unit quality are paramount! memtb
500 yards is getting out there, though some top tier thermals claim thousands of yards..you have a budget in mind?

I'd like to keep it under 3K…..my wife wants to ignore the subject!

So you want a higher performance thermal to mount on a .338 WM, which I assume is for longer distance hunting, but you want a bargain basement priced optic? A .338 WM puts you at over 5000 joules of energy to deal with and not a lot of thermals will handle it. Drop down to a measly .308 and just about every thermal out there will handle it.

I'm trying to research…..the Burris looks promising!

Yeah, so long as recoil is .308 or less, but that isn't what your .338 WM will do.

Last edited:
So you want a higher performance thermal to mount on a .338 WM, which I assume is for longer distance hunting, but you want a bargain basement priced optic? A .338 WM puts you at over 5000 joules of energy to deal with and not a lot of thermals will handle it. Drop down to a ****ant .308 and just about every thermal out there will handle it.

Yeah, so long as recoil is .308 or less, but that isn't what your .338 WM will do.

I guess that I was using the .338 WM as a threshold value in an attempt to get a more robust scope.

In reality, it will likely be used on a pretty heavy 6.5-284!

I always tend to lean toward more over less! 😉 memtb

Most units have really short eye relief (like 1"), so that's something to be aware of.

There are some thermals that can be mounted in front of a typical scope. That may work a little better if you are trying to manage recoil scope eye.

Prices are comimg down, but the good stuff still seems real spendy to me.

Recent Posts