Tangent Theta vs ZCO vs Schmidt vs Kahles

If I am reading the specs correctly for each scope, the March 4.5-28x52 has about 3 ft. more field of view at 4.5 power than the ZCO 4-20 does at 4 power. What I would really like to know is how they compare when both are on 20 power since this is more practical when attempting to spot shots at long range.
I rarely find target acquisition difficult on max power, but I have a LOT of practice. If you have troubles with that aspect, Turn the scope down, find the target, turn it up.

I think I am going to bang some LR steel this weekend. I am taking my March mounted on my 6CM for sure. Maybe I will take my 25SST w, ZCO420 and if I remember to compare, get some photos through the scope.

I rarely find target acquisition difficult on max power, but I have a LOT of practice. If you have troubles with that aspect, Turn the scope down, find the target, turn it up.

I think I am going to bang some LR steel this weekend. I am taking my March mounted on my 6CM for sure. Maybe I will take my 25SST w, ZCO420 and if I remember to compare, get some photos through the scope.
My long range rifle is a 11 lb. 338 edge with a Terminator brake and I have to get set up very solid in prone to call my shots. I will generally turn the scope (2.5-25x42 March) down to 10 to 15 power if I want to be sure of spotting a shot. It would be nice to have a wider field of view at higher power. It would be great to see some photos through the scopes!

This is a great thread, but there is no mention of parallax focus. I have an older March and hate the parallax because it doesn't focus as fine as the NF scopes I have. IMHO, the ability to discern mirage and thus estimate wind is huge for me - why I like NF. When shooting LR in the wind, I aim at my target and then dial the parallax to the closest focal distance, then slowly dial it back into focus, noting where I see mirage, its strength, direction, etc.

Any comments about reading mirage using a TT or a ZCO?

Never used your method of looking at mirage to judge wind, etc., but I can say mirage is more noticeable in an ATACR than a Tangent for sure. Especially looking over grass at long range on a hot, humid day.

This is a great thread, but there is no mention of parallax focus. I have an older March and hate the parallax because it doesn't focus as fine as the NF scopes I have. IMHO, the ability to discern mirage and thus estimate wind is huge for me - why I like NF. When shooting LR in the wind, I aim at my target and then dial the parallax to the closest focal distance, then slowly dial it back into focus, noting where I see mirage, its strength, direction, etc.

Any comments about reading mirage using a TT or a ZCO?
I can tell you as I just got back from. The range sighting in my new scope on my 6.5x300 bee. March FX 4.5x28x52 High Master is amazing glass and FOV crazy good make that the best of any scope I currently have by a good bit. Parallax was fantastic too. Very forgiving for distances I looked which was short range 200 n less. Almost like you set it and forget it. Almost. Great clarity easily obtained with the Parallax adjustment. It's crazy good. Couldn't be happier right now with this scope

Never had the chance to spend any time behind a TT but I did get the chance to look through a couple buddies ZCO 5-27 and March 4.5-28 side by side and to be completely honest the ZCO was very underwhelming... ZCO is the best looking scope but on that given day in those given conditions it didn't have an edge optically in any way shape or form over the March but what was very noticeable was the huge difference in FOV and the March destroyed the ZCO. After seeing those two side by side I lost all interest in a ZCO and before that day it was on the top of my list just going by all the reviews I had seen
I have an fx 4.5-28 highmaster and a zco 5-27, while the March is awesome it really doesn't compare to the zco.
Aside from a clear glass advantage, yes it's not even what I'd call close, the zco has a much better eye box and far more forgiving parallax.

I have an fx 4.5-28 highmaster and a zco 5-27, while the March is awesome it really doesn't compare to the zco.
Aside from a clear glass advantage, yes it's not even what I'd call close, the zco has a much better eye box and far more forgiving parallax.
I just got the March FX 4.5x28x52 High Master and it's insanely awesome. Your ZCO is FAR superior?? I can't fathom that. Not saying your lieing but that just has to be unworldly impressive to be that much ahead. Now I have to get one to see this. Better eye box cool I feel March eye box is really good. So zco being much better gets me excited. Parallax being far more forgiving is also impressive as I feel the March is excellent. Better than both of my ATACR's. So how does the FOV compare with your March and zco? My March just blew me away.

Thx

I just got the March FX 4.5x28x52 High Master and it's insanely awesome. Your ZCO is FAR superior?? I can't fathom that. Not saying your lieing but that just has to be unworldly impressive to be that much ahead. Now I have to get one to see this. Better eye box cool I feel March eye box is really good. So zco being much better gets me excited. Parallax being far more forgiving is also impressive as I feel the March is excellent. Better than both of my ATACR's. So how does the FOV compare with your March and zco? My March just blew me away.

Thx
Not hating on the fx 4.5-28 at all its really a great scope and definitely blows the atacrs out of the water, except the 7-35 model.
You'll have to get behind a ZCO and compare it in every shooting condition, not just a 10 minute looksy in perfect lighting.

I'll put it this way, I ran my March in a few matches and it was a handicap trying to adjust parallax for targets at various ranges under time.
The zco I can set at the 800 yard mark and be good from 200 yards to 1k and beyond, impossible with the March.

Eye relief and eye box are pretty dang tight with the March, not anywhere as bad as an NX8 but pretty tight nonetheless.
With the zco it doesn't really matter where I mount it or where my cheek is at I can get perfect sight picture fast.
This is really noticeable in a match shooting from compromised positions, or weakside.

Last edited:

Thx
ZCO is legit magical to look through. Like a big screen HD TV right next to your eye.

I still chose the March because it's a much smaller package for hunting, their FFP reticle is easier to see on lower magnifications, and everything else is still really good about it.

All that said... now I just shoot a 3-18 Trijicon tenmile because I like it better for general hunting hahahaha.

Not hating on the fx 4.5-28 at all its really a great scope and definitely blows the atacrs out of the water, except the 7-35 model.
You'll have to get behind a ZCO and compare it in every shooting condition, not just a 10 minute looksy in perfect lighting.

I'll put it this way, I ran my March in a few matches and it was a handicap trying to adjust parallax for targets at various ranges under time.
The zco I can set at the 800 yard mark and be good from 200 yards to 1k and beyond, impossible with the March.

Eye relief and eye box are pretty dang tight with the March, not anywhere as bad as an NX8 but pretty tight nonetheless.
With the zco it doesn't really matter where I mount it or where my cheek is at I can get perfect sight picture fast.
This is really noticeable in a match shooting from compromised positions, or weakside.
Thanks for that more detailed description of the zco. I have 2 ATACR 's one is a 7x35x56 the other 5x25x56. March is better in every way to ME. FOV laughable better than either ATACR too.
That ZCO parallax sounds fantastic. I really thought that the March was really really good. Better than my ATACR's with regards to eyebox and parallax and especially FOV.

I would love to get a zco for my next hunting rifle but weight might keep me from it. But maybe just say who cares a run a 5x27x56 zco just to see what it's all about. The weight of the March is just so nice though.

Again thank you for your input

Brian

I am always jealous of Lance and his stable of incredible glass and rifles. In fact I partially blame him for my recent splurges on a ZCO 527 MPCT1 and 2 TT315m's in Gen3xr and Mildot. The ZCO 527 is excellent and heavy. My sweet spot with the optic is around 20x for 1000 yard engagements and I don't have trouble turning it down for wide field of view with the MPCT1. Now……for a hunting rifle? The TT315m is so so nice. It is effortless to get behind, is a good weight/size and makes me smile everytime I shoot behind it. I also picked up the two 315m's for a little over 3k on the hide in near new shape which made it a little easier than buying new. You can't go wrong and enjoy what you decide on rather than constantly worrying "is that one better?"

Thanks for that more detailed description of the zco. I have 2 ATACR 's one is a 7x35x56 the other 5x25x56. March is better in every way to ME. FOV laughable better than either ATACR too.
That ZCO parallax sounds fantastic. I really thought that the March was really really good. Better than my ATACR's with regards to eyebox and parallax and especially FOV.

I would love to get a zco for my next hunting rifle but weight might keep me from it. But maybe just say who cares a run a 5x27x56 zco just to see what it's all about. The weight of the March is just so nice though.

Again thank you for your input

Brian
You bet
And for hunting I really don't think the March FX 4.5-28 can be beat, the benefits of the zco are only going to count in ELR shooting, PRS, or really poor lighting conditions.