help me decide.... keep 7mm STW alive or move on to different caliber??

I would also suggest 7mm. Rem mag or 280AI! Get the barrel made with the twist rate that offers you the most options for bullet choices!!

Ok, been following this thread from the beginning. If you love the stw like most of us here stay with it. Brass will be available. You just have to keep on it and you'll find it. Heck or do what I did and contact the manufacturer that makes stw like quality cartridge. Talk to Pete he is the owner. Super nice guy. He's going to be doing a batch soon when he gets the supplies. He will put you on a list and notify you when there ready. I for one fell in love with the stw when I was 17 and told myself I would buy one when I got older. Lol now I own 2 and will never get rid of either. My first one is a remington sendero all factory except the trigger, I put in a trigger tech. It's shots the 175 eldxs very well. My new one I just had built with a 28" 1-7.5 twist carbon is shooting the 190 atips almost in the same hole at 3270 fps.
20220828_132301~2.jpg
20220720_155005.jpg
20220716_132828.jpg

I will always have brass and I will always shoot a 7 stw. By the way I passed down the sendero to my son. 😉

I purchased a 7mm STW 22 years ago +/- and since have migrated to the 300RUM, (but kept the stw in my safe) I now have a 16 year old son that is hunting and using the 7mm STW and is a very confidant shooter, handles the gun quite well, however I'm getting tired of the brass shortage for this caliber, my stw shoots best when loaded HOT and only get 3X until primer pockets are done.
I'm toying with the idea of sunsetting this caliber but what do I have my son shoot? he is smaller framed 125 lbs. I don't want him to lose his confidence from shooting a heavy recoil gun like the 300RUM, He did take an elk with my 300RUM this fall because the stw went for a tumble and made a great shot.
Do i turn this 7mmSTW turned into a different caliber that brass is more readily available or what do you 7mm STW shooters do about brass?
You could switch it to a 28 nosler. Virtually identical ballistics, but better brass availability. We offer loaded ammo and brass for sale here.

I purchased a 7mm STW 22 years ago +/- and since have migrated to the 300RUM, (but kept the stw in my safe) I now have a 16 year old son that is hunting and using the 7mm STW and is a very confidant shooter, handles the gun quite well, however I'm getting tired of the brass shortage for this caliber, my stw shoots best when loaded HOT and only get 3X until primer pockets are done.
I'm toying with the idea of sunsetting this caliber but what do I have my son shoot? he is smaller framed 125 lbs. I don't want him to lose his confidence from shooting a heavy recoil gun like the 300RUM, He did take an elk with my 300RUM this fall because the stw went for a tumble and made a great shot.
Do i turn this 7mmSTW turned into a different caliber that brass is more readily available or what do you 7mm STW shooters do about brass?
Keep the STW running!! I '

Keep the STW running!! I've had a couple in the last 20 years and I'm still shooting one and love hunting with it.. I remember when the 300 rum got popular and you couldn't find Brass. I happens every time something new comes out. There is brass out there and 100 rnds of good brass will last a lifetime of hunting. It can kill anything a rum can with less recoil.. Long Live the STW!!

Keep the STW running!! I '
The nice thing about this cartridge is you can easily make brass from at least 3 different cartridges. So, getting decent brass shouldn't ever be an issue. Back in the day the biggest issue we had was magazine length and trying the fight the finicky nature of the longer over-bore cartridges with the powders of the time. I think we used RL22 mostly with 140gr Ballistic tips and 150 Sciroccos. With everything set right we could get sub 1/2 MOA pretty easy. This was before range finders, wide use of annealing machines, wind meters, ballistic apps etc. when MPBR ruled the day for long range hunting and a 500-yard shot was really long even for Coues deer. The end of the good old days ... ;)

I appreciate all the suggestions, got way more response then I expected, my conclusion is to keep the STW alive!!
was able to snag some brass also found some brass in the drawer I forgot about, should be set for a few years if we use it just for hunting, leave the steel slapping for another rifle.. thanks to everyone that chimed in!

I think your son would handle a 7 practical not a problem that is a 7mm 300 WIN MAG I think it will be a long time before that grass becomes unavailable it is everything the seven REM mag should have always been.
I will stand corrected if wrong but to my knowledge is just a basic neck down ran into a full-length Die start loading

I checked on the 7STW brass that I have.
There are:
49 new pieces of R-P + 2 pieces that have been neck turned
17 pieces of once fired, nickel plated Speer
27 pieces of once fired Winchester
70 pieces of once fired R-P

What is the going price for this brass?

I did get some Peterson brass and followed your post but don't have the patience,.. 😬
brass does pop up every now and again, just last week someone posted some but I was to late to the draw, got to be quick on this site!
it is shooting ok but its got 500 + rounds down the pipe and pickier then it used to be, it wants what it wants, just like we all are when we get older :rolleyes:
with 500 rounds down the tube you probably only have 500 to go, maybe less cause you load hot.
even if you only get 3x loads out of a case 166 pcs would take you to the end.
sps has some loaded ammo for sale...