help me decide.... keep 7mm STW alive or move on to different caliber??

Having never necked down brass how hard is it to neck down 300 Weatherby to 7mm STW? I see Peterson is now offering the 300 brass. Any help would be greatly appreciated *** I have to agree with everyone else the seven brass is getting harder to find and I like my 7 STW. Thanks Gene
If memory serves, we would size down using several bushings that ended up with a lightly seated 7mm bullet using the 7mm STW bushing die being careful to not touch the shoulder and then we would shoot them fire forming them into the chamber shape. This would be easier now because you can buy a neck only sizing bushing die. We used 140gr cheaper 7mm bullets and shot light but not below minimum loads. Going from .308 down to .284 isn't hard. I would try some dummy rounds to make sure they chamber OK before jumping to powder and primers. You would want to step down maybe 0.008 at a time, that would be about 3 bushings. If you jump down too fast, you can cause a large amount of runout. Note - I didn't say this was cheaper. We had to do it to make cases period.

I purchased a 7mm STW 22 years ago +/- and since have migrated to the 300RUM, (but kept the stw in my safe) I now have a 16 year old son that is hunting and using the 7mm STW and is a very confidant shooter, handles the gun quite well, however I'm getting tired of the brass shortage for this caliber, my stw shoots best when loaded HOT and only get 3X until primer pockets are done.
I'm toying with the idea of sunsetting this caliber but what do I have my son shoot? he is smaller framed 125 lbs. I don't want him to lose his confidence from shooting a heavy recoil gun like the 300RUM, He did take an elk with my 300RUM this fall because the stw went for a tumble and made a great shot.
Do i turn this 7mmSTW turned into a different caliber that brass is more readily available or what do you 7mm STW shooters do about brass?
No by all means keep the STW I hunt with one myself I also reload so I'm no stranger to shortages of EVERYTHING! as to what caliber for your son you might consider a custom muzzle brake for the RUM you would be surprised at what you can find for reasonable money but please make him his own RUM and keep the STW they shoot too good to rebarrel take a look at Witt machine website for brakes be safe and good luck

How do the alternatives "work better"?
Well, I put my post out there in a light hearted context, as in there's those of us who will always be tinkering with something even if it's "working"; but since you asked, I do feel that there's .284 cartridges that are better, at least by certain metrics, than the 7mm STW.

The main limitation of the 7mm STW is in handling higher BC bullet offerings. As such, .284 cartridges that will yield more energy at the same and further off distances with the same or less powder and, by extension, recoil, would meet my definition of "working better".

That's not to say that the STW hasn't killed a lot of game or that it is incapable, just that things have changed since it was the latest and greatest. In it's day, most hunters were set it and forget it with their scopes, and high BC bullets weren't as widespread and/or built for hunting use as they are currently. Likewise, not as many hunters had a LRF. Thus, a rig that offered the longest and flatest MPBR was a great boon to a lot of hunters.

Last edited:
I purchased a 7mm STW 22 years ago +/- and since have migrated to the 300RUM, (but kept the stw in my safe) I now have a 16 year old son that is hunting and using the 7mm STW and is a very confidant shooter, handles the gun quite well, however I'm getting tired of the brass shortage for this caliber, my stw shoots best when loaded HOT and only get 3X until primer pockets are done.
I'm toying with the idea of sunsetting this caliber but what do I have my son shoot? he is smaller framed 125 lbs. I don't want him to lose his confidence from shooting a heavy recoil gun like the 300RUM, He did take an elk with my 300RUM this fall because the stw went for a tumble and made a great shot.
Do i turn this 7mmSTW turned into a different caliber that brass is more readily available or what do you 7mm STW shooters do about brass?
Howdy, didn't read all the other posts. What about a 7 RUM you already have 300. Put a fat basturd or area 419 brake on it, might fill like a 7.08. You can up or down size brass. Someone might of said this already, if not I would think about it. STW and RUM are close to each others. 🙄

@powermax have you considered a 7 saum? It's an awesome little cartridge. I push a 168vld over 3k fps without even trying. Have had them over 3100 before. I'm going to start working on 180s when my new autotrickler shows up tomorrow. Brass comes around a few times a year from ADG and not that hard to get ahold of if you get on a few lists with some of the dealers.

Well, I put my post out there in a light hearted context, as in there's those of us who will always be tinkering with something even if it's "working"; but since you asked, I do feel that there's .284 cartridges that are better, at least by certain metrics, than the 7mm STW.

The main limitation of the 7mm STW is in handling higher BC bullet offerings. As such, .284 cartridges that will yield more energy at the same and further off distances with the same or less powder and, by extension, recoil, would meet my definition of "working better".

That's not to say that the STW hasn't killed a lot of game or that it is incapable, just that things have changed since it was the latest and greatest. In it's day, most hunters were set it and forget it with their scopes, and high BC bullets weren't as widespread and/or built for hunting use as they are currently. Likewise, not as many hunters had a LRF. Thus, a rig that offered the flattest MPBR was a great boon to a lot of hunters.
Well that's well thought out for sure and I must say I agree here. Thanks for clarifying. And I'm a fellow tinkerer. A former boss of mine had exactly 3 guns. A 22, 12 guage, and 30-06. Nothing he couldn't do in North America with that combo. It's all you need. It ain't broke. But dang that'd be boring!

I just won an auction for an old husqvarna m98 clone in 8mm Mauser that i in no way need but look forward to working with (and the stock needs loving but the bore is good and heck, a mauser type action with a good barrel AND iron sights still intact for $205 Canadian…can't be beat!) 😁

Last edited:
The least expensive solution would be to have a gunsmith set the barrel back and rechamber for 7mm Rem Mag which is available everywhere.

@powermax have you considered a 7 saum? It's an awesome little cartridge. I push a 168vld over 3k fps without even trying. Have had them over 3100 before. I'm going to start working on 180s when my new autotrickler shows up tomorrow. Brass comes around a few times a year from ADG and not that hard to get ahold of if you get on a few lists with some of the dealers.
I like a short action magnum in a Tikka. All the room you can use to chase lands with high BC heavies.

I like a long action in a Tikka, too, but it takes some messing around to get more COAL. On a rig that gets carried around a lot, I don't always care to have an AICS hanging down. Not that you can't get used it, just that I prefer an OEM or MT Billit mags for carrying. And, what can't you get done with a 175-180 .284 going close to 3k out of a WSM, RCM, or SAUM?

Primer pockets are easily fixable. I have reused my 300WM brass and refined primer pockets over and over again. I simply put a ball peen hammer in vice. I insert a bolt or metal rod close to the ID of the neck and long enough to extend outside the casing. I then set the case on the ball peen hammer and tap it. This closes the edge of the primer hole. You don't need to do it too much. But this will allow you to reuse your brass many times over. So, if it is a good shooting rifle, there is no need to retire it as long as you can reload.
Have you seen any degradation in accuracy doing this?

I'd just re-barrel with a 28 Nosler chamber. You can save your STW barrel, and easily re-mount it if you ever get the urge.

28 Nosler's case is a 1/4-inch shorter than 7mm STW. Lots more room in the magazine. I shoot mainly all-copper bullets on game these days. Those bullets are really long. The heavier bullets also need pretty fast twist rates, 1 in 8", vs 1 in 9'' for the STW.

I have an 8" twist Shilen on my 7stw... It'll take any bullet I can shove in it. I'm currently running a 140 ab through it (old load shot for 18 years in multiple barrels). I've been working with the 180 Sierra, 183 Sierra, 175 eld-x, and a couple other pills. The only "limiting factor" if you want to call it that is some of the spindly pills may not be able to be rested on the lands. IMO, that's actually a positive in a case of this size as a bit of run is good as far as containing peak pressures.