Rem 700 BDL 7mm STW follower different?

bocephus1963

I need some advice....I have a Remington 700 SS DBM in 7mm STW and I wanted to convert it to BDL. I acquired a stainless bottom metal, spring and follower, and mag from a factory take-off in .300 mag along with the stock. I installed my barreled action to the BDL stock and bottom metal and everything fit perfect, but the shells won't stay in place. The first round goes in fine but as soon as I try to put in the second round all the shells pop out. Is the follower on an STW different from the .300 mag? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

if I'm not mistaken the bottom of your action is milled differently if you originally had a dbm... I'd post this in gunsmithing and see what response you get as to a fix.

if I'm not mistaken the bottom of your action is milled differently if you originally had a dbm... I'd post this in gunsmithing and see what response you get as to a fix.
You are probably correct on that.

With the DBM the magazine itself is what retains the additional shells.

I would suggest trying the mag box off of another BDL and see how it fits into the recess cut into the bottom of the action.

Didn't think about the receiver being different, that would be just my luck. Thanks for the advice, I'll ask in gunsmithing and see what they say. If it is different at least I have an excuse to buy another rifle!

The only difference that I'm aware of with the DBM actions and the regular 700 actions, is that the bolt goes farther back than a normal ADL/BDL/CDL that came with the hinged floorplate. The "used" take-off action I bought for my .25-06 AI build was originally a DBM action (didn't know that when I bought it from the guy), and the bolt comes all the way back past the follower and the follower pops up and the bolt wont shut without either A) having a round in the magazine, or B) manually pushing down on the follower to pop it down below the bolt while pushing the bolt forward at the same time.

It's kind of a pain in the ***, but once you learn the kinks of working with one, you get quick with it, and it becomes less disappointing and stressful.

My question is to the gunsmiths... Is the difference in the bolt pull based off a shorter length bolt stop? Can the action simply be milled for a BDL bolt stop/release and use a longer bolt stop to counteract this issue? If so, I would love to have my smith do that for mine.

Just got my Wyatt's center feed BDL magazine and installed it and it works perfect. So if anyone else out there has a factory DBM that they would like to convert to BDL simply order one of their center feed mags and you're good to go. Thanks to all for the great help and advice.

Just got my Wyatt's center feed BDL magazine and installed it and it works perfect. So if anyone else out there has a factory DBM that they would like to convert to BDL simply order one of their center feed mags and you're good to go. Thanks to all for the great help and advice.
Good deal. If you decide to part with your original magazine let me have first dibs.

Did you get the extended mag to allow longer seating? I have the same rifle as you and have been exploring my options to be able to seat longer bullets but not having much luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.