Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

• YES

Votes: 969 62.3%
  • NO

Votes: 586 37.7%

• Total voters
Definitely have most of the hunting I've done has been backpack, I've been raised in a family where we all love deer stalking, my Grandfather was a forest ranger after the war, and my uncles and family friends were deer cullers in their early days so backpack hunting has all ways been the norm, normally for a weekend or a bit longer like up to 5-7 days at a time all though in their deer culling days my uncles and mates would be in for up to six weeks backpacking with maybe a supply drop. Wasn't hunting but just spent the weekend backpacking up a local river with my stepson trout fishing, was a good warm up as I'm still recovering from a broken ankle.

No and I have no intention to do---if the Chef is not there that weekend Forget It LOL!
c7a9a5dd.jpg

062a001b.jpg

Yes he is a Real Executive Chef!! We eat well!!! Bernd Schmitt Google him.... Notice the German writing on the shirt. Lucky one of my best friends is a Chef and likes to hunt!!

I said no.

Didn't take the camp gear. When I called for my dad, when I was still a kid, we went out the eve. before. The elk weren't answering us/me durring the day. Had great moonlight, and thought we could try tracking them by their buggles in the night. It was a fun night, too bad we weren't successful.

The situation is the same every time I go hunt antelope. We can't seem to get away from the land owner before sun-up. We end up crossing the fence, about the same time the ant. herd does 1000yds from us. We end up trying to head them off with the low ridge between us and the herd. Never pans out. We end up following them 4+mi, no roads in bentonite flats, 'till we get close enough to shoot.

I'd like to go in the eve before to get the land owner business out of the way. Take a bivy sack and suck it up for the night. Sleep in the ambush hide, and shoot them when they cross the fence in the morning. Should be three mi. back to the truck from there.

I live in northern bc canada so every year come august 1 me and a few buddies take off sheep hunting, living out of our backpacks for ten days i love it and cant wait to share that experience with my two boys who are 4 and 5 so a few years to go. 2010 we hiked 50 miles according to my gps with 90lbs packs the majority of the time this was dumb never will i take apack that heavy again, will try to keep it under 70 from now on.
If youve never done it it's an experience no one can fully explain the beauty of the country and knowing whatever animal you get you earned I LOVE IT.

l can kill an ibex every day out of the cars window on the main road if l wanted to but thats not real hunting now is it? hunting for me is to spend much time as posible in the wildernes with the camp fire going at night, right? and do some baiting in the full moon for wolves and bears, yes?
ohh man love hunting. now l wanna go tomorow :=)

Oh yes many times in the early seventies. Chilly nights under the stars.
Never successful however.
Very poor luck hunting but the outing was fantastic.
No Sasquatch or alien abductions either though.
Always pretty quiet when you have a gun.
It's the things you see when you don't. Like game!
Oh well way too old and fat now to lay on the cold cold ground if I can help it.

A right of passage though among other things. Shouldn't be missed!

Most of the hunting I do here in NZ is off track. We call it fly camping as many just use a nylon fly cover sheet along with a bivvy bag rather than a tent. Recently spent a week on the tops of the kaimanawha mountains in the middle north island, shot two Sika stags but nothing flash.

Living in Montana it takes hours to walk to some of the better area's on public land. I don't have horses so I pack as much as I can handle and take off walking. I have had great luck on those trips also.

Last year a friend and I mountain biked into the Los Padres National Forest in California during the first week of deer season. Saw a few does and fawns, but not a single buck. Still it was a fun trip. We should have waited until the last week of the season - the rut started then that year.

At my age (54), mountain biking is definitely the way to go. On fire roads, you can cover ground quickly. We carried our camping gear on trailers.

I can relate to that ! :) The wall tent is a welcome sight and a warm dry place at the end of a day's hunt here in MT, and I've gotten too old and fat to sleep comfortably (or at all) on the ground any more... :eek:

- Walt

I was an Eagle Scout and I spent many a night in the woods and later on in life trout fishing in Pennsylvania's National Forests and of course packing in and out.

It's interesting how no matter where you tent, when you unroll your pad and bag and get in, there is always a rock underneath the tent floor...right under your pad.....

Then there is the rain but we won't go into that here.....:D

I'm too old for that stuff now. Nothing beats the lodge or the Holiday Inn. Clean sheets, room service, hot tub, cocktails..................

Unfortunately no, not yet at least. I'd like to get up into some alpine looking for Mulies next fall.
Finally been able to get in some back pack hunting. My wife and I went Mt Goat hunting where we saw some goats but didn't connect. It was some spectacular country up there.
This last fall I scouted some alpine for Mulie's. I saw 30 bucks one morning about a month before season opener. On the second day of the season I saw a dozen nice bucks but didn't pull the trigger on any of them. Next fall I plan on going there again and either taking one myself or bringing another hunter with me that's less fussy :)

Fozzy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.