Votes: 969 62.3%
  • NO

Votes: 586 37.7%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

Defined as carrying your camp with you for at least one night on a hunt.

In the mid 60's my cousin killed a buck while we were hunting in the central coast range of California. The buck was way down in a canyon and in those days we would take turns packing them out whole. It was shot at 10:30 am and it was 8:00 pm when we got it back to the jeep. That dang buck almost killed us both in the 90 degree heat that is typical in the coast range in August. That was the last time we brought a buck out whole. We went and bought a couple junky frame packs and started using them but it wasn't long before we realized that we could go the whole weekend with the right stuff and still stay light enough to get into country that was virtually un-hunted.

When we finally got things figured out we were using internal framed packs (Madden) with compression straps which we made and installed our selves so when packing out meat we could keep it high up on our backs and when empty could be cinched down tight to keep the noise down. You could also work a brushy hillside and not get hung up like the earlier external framed packs would. A 3 day setup weighed 28 lbs which included 2 canteens of water. Things did not change much in the way of gear over the years except when in the high country (Utah in those days) we packed a 4 season tent between us that weighed 8 lbs but could be broken down into two pieces and we did not have to worry about water. We never took the packs off so when it got dark or you had a buck down in some hellish place everything was with you. We learned that staying out over 3 days the way we hunted was non productive as we would just get to tired to pound it the way one should so we would plan the hunts to end up back at the jeep by the end of the third day or later if packing meat

Still use the same pack today but rarely stay out over night. Now that I have horses and am older the warm wall tent and cot is much more appealing then the ground and a therm-a-rest.

Back Pack Hunting- Alaska

Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

Defined as carrying your camp with you for at least one night on a hunt.

First time was 1968 in Alaska in the Fort Greeley area in the interior. Two days in the rain and fog up and down the mountains looking for Dall sheep. In the military at that time. Net result- full curl Dall ram. Model 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag with factory ammo. Can't say what bullet weight, nor distance of the shot. Rifle zero'd at 250 yards and had to hold 4 feet over the rams back for the shot. One shot- heart was laying in the chest cavity. I would attribute most of this shots success to just luck and instinct. I had never shot at those ranges before. Since I don't know what bullet I was shooting I am assuming that the shot was somewhere close to 600 yards.

Took all the rest of the day to hike back down the mountain and back up the other side of the valley to where the sheep lay. Packed out head, cape and all the boned out meat. Wasn't really crazy about the meat.

No, I have not but this year will be first. I have backpacked in the past and have done a whole lot of hunting from a base camp. We already have the hunt pretty much planned and will be heading into the Trinity Wilderness of California for some really big Black Tail. The 338 Lapua will be here in about a month so I should easily be able to shoot across the canyons up there.

Still use the same pack today but rarely stay out over night. Now that I have horses and am older the warm wall tent and cot is much more appealing then the ground and a therm-a-rest.

I can relate to that ! :) The wall tent is a welcome sight and a warm dry place at the end of a day's hunt here in MT, and I've gotten too old and fat to sleep comfortably (or at all) on the ground any more... :eek:

- Walt

What other kind is there?

90% of my hunting is backpack hunting in Alaska. Has been since 1978. Not many roads up here compared to the 48 states. Moose, caribou, sheep, goat, black bear, and grizzly/brown bear. I hunt blacktail deer too but don't usually backpack in and tent overnight for the deer hunts. Usually staying in a cabin and generally day-hunting by skiff and/or on foot.

Good hunting!

Once, about ten years ago... :rolleyes: No... I really did! The hard work was not the back pack, it was my 300 pounds. Down hill, no problems... :) I was just a kid, 44 y/o. :D

About 4 years ago I did it also on horseback, I know the man said backpack, but my backpack was on my back. Neither the horse nor me were very happy.

Last edited:
Yes I have done lots of it over the years, both hunting and guiding backpack hunts for goat, sheep, grizzly, mule deer, caribou, moose, elk, etc.

Lots of fun, but as I get older I prefer letting horses pack out the moose and elk.

I have backpack hunted since 1964 and intend to continue until I am 90, I am only 62 now. It is the only hunting I enjoy and is my idea of how to really relax and savour life.

I have backpacked recreationally since 1956 and as a major aspect of my wilderness employment from 1965 to 1993. It is simply a part of who I am and my favourite activity along with playing with my Rottweilers and reading plus messing about with guns.

I started back packing back in 1985. I knew that the big bucks where just out of reach on my day hunts from base camp. So I decided to start back packing after them. I went out and bought a nice Kelty frame pack along with a bunch of very expensive light weight gear. I got a light weight tent, sleeping bag, pad, lantern, stove, and cook set. When I put all that light weight gear in my pack it suddenly wasn't light weight anymore, along with the large cans of beef stew, chili, sardines and kipper snacks, two gallons of water, and assorted candy bars. That first trip was hell. I hated every step up that mountain. I learned as I went along. After a few years I learned I still hated back packing, so I decided to start horse packing. That's where the real adventure is. That first year with a horse I didn't have the slightest clue how to pack one, so I just got a few duffel bags and a bunch of rope and started tying stuff onto the saddles. My first trip dragin horses up the hill was an adventure to say the least. After seven hours on the trail walking and leading the horses up to Ten Thousand Foot ridge in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, just at dark I had my first wreck. Horses were stampeding in every direction slinging gear all over the mountains. After running around in the dark for a couple hours I finally had the horses gathered up and searched around and found my tent and sleeping bag. After puking all over the trail I finally found a flat spot to set up my tent. I crawled into my sleeping bag and shivered all night. The next morning I was still sick as a dog so I just searched around till I found most of my gear and packed up and headed down the mountain. I was hooked and I've been dragin a pack string ever since. I still have my pack and all the gear just as a reminder of how much I hated back packin!
Wes

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.