Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

• I have in the past

Votes: 423 32.8%
  • I plan to in the future

Votes: 554 42.9%
  • I probably never will in the future

Votes: 517 40.0%

• Total voters
as a guide in Mt, I'm seeing responses from both sides that make me cringe! Some people that go on guided hunts that i wouldn't want to take, and some bad attitudes about guided hunts. Expectations will make or break your experience for sure. If you have to have a trophy class animal and won't be impressed with anything less and need to be waited on hand and foot, you're putting yourself into an elite price range and should expect to pay for it. Hunting is still hunting, and the experience should be your main priority, killing is just an added bonus, thats the only way to have a successful guided hunt. Sure there's some crappy outfits, but a little homework makes them pretty easy to find and eliminate. If you have the money, go for it. My suggestion for a MT hunt that I am not affiliated with is:
Crossheart Outfitters - Big-Game Outfitting and Hunting
Avalanche Basin Outfitters - Home

If you are after a lion hunt, I'm your guy :D

1983 I went on a 10-day guided elk hunt in the Absorakee Beartooth with Larry Gaustad. Got a nice 300 pt 6-point on day 8. Hunted hard, ate well, had great accomodations and hunted with some very nice gents.

2008 my best friend and I hunted with Brian Simpson of Wittrock Outfitters, North of Nome, AK for grizzly. My bud got a VERY nice 8-1/2' boar on the last day and I shot a 62" bull moose with my 45LC Ruger NMBH @ 15 yds. The time spent with Brian and company was very enjoyable, great food, incredible scenary and we're probably going back up Spring 2013 for Grizz on snowmachines.

This January 2012 we have a cow elk hunt with the Ute Indian Tribe around the Roosevelt, Utah area. Tribe requires a tribal member guide us; about $350 each for driving around to find the elk, make sure we're on tribal property and help us get the animals into the back of the truck. Not really a true guided hunt but what the heck. it's meat.

Alan

I'm not a US citizen, and I don't live in the US. So guided hunt is the only option. Yet even if I could self hunt, I would still go with a guide, unless it's for a white tail in the mid west. You must do your home work when selecting a hunt. I only hunted for trophy, so I was particularly more selective. Yet a kill is never a given, and I accepted that condition right from the start. I read previous posts on this thread about elks in Montana, and I envy these posters. I hunted elk near the Hell Roaring creek, and saw only two elks on a 10 days hunt. Both were bulls. It was one of my toughest hunts. The outfitter was unfortunately the worst outfitter I hunted with in the US. Yet he kept pestering me for a good write up of my hunt, just because I killed an elk. I also hunted in Montana for antelope and whitetail, and the outfitter cum guide was one of the bests I hunted with. I would say that if you could hunt with the outfitter himself, you'll most likely have a good hunt. That doesn't mean guides aren't good. From my experience, about 35% of them are, and these will graduate into outfitters themselves.
My only advice is to go when you physically can. A guided hunt will get more expensive, and restrictions will get more imposed. BTW my first hunt was in the Alaska Peninsular with hip boots, and no horses. With more than 10 years of desk jockeying, I was unaware of physical deterioration. I was unprepared and trusted my legs which in my youth helped me run up and down the Himalayan hills daily. That first hunt changed my lifestyle.
I'd like to comment further that outfitters in the US and Canada are better than any where else. In Russia, I shot my grizzly from hellicopter, and in Africa, I can say that all outfitters I hunted with were fleecers. Outfitters from the US included. In Africa, you'll get your animals, but beware of the unexpected. I quited Africa after hunting in S. Africa, Zambia and twice in Tanzania. I continued to hunt in the US and Canada. In fact, I hunted near Douglas AZ several times just because the outfitter and his family made the honest hunts very pleasurable.

I dont personally I find it to be not genuine and tame,and in this country [nz] the heads are not representative of the country.

EG. The heads here offered by the big outfitters are circus animals bred for the American hunter and his wallet and not a true representative of what the country has to offer. Alright for the old and infirm but a true hunter in my opinion would not lower himself to shoot a million point red stag that has just been dropped off by helicopter or is drugged or just let out of the back paddock !!!! or all three. - It happens! - believe me

My only guided hunt so far was a Pronghorn hunt I took in '99 with Table Mountain Outfitters. I had a great time and killed a fantastic (I think) first buck.

If I ever do another guided or outfitted hunt it will probably be to Africa and that will require some good financial fortune.

I have had successful DIY hunts for Mule Deer(1), Elk (1), Pronghorn(3) and numerous Whitetails. I get a lot of satisfaction out of doing it myself.

Bob

Canned hunts?

Went on one for hogs.

I don't consider it very sporting if they tie the hog to the tree with a rope shorter than 10'. :D

About as challenging and "fair chase" as buying a package of sausages at Loblaws.

I live in alaska for right now and would love to go on a guided hunt but the price of them it most likely will not happen. I have two little girls who might like to go to college.

I'd like to but probably won't get it put together. I'm younger with a young family. I just feel like if I did it, it wouldn't be fair. It's not something we can all do.

I feel ya. I'm in my early 30's with 3 kids under 5, and it is hard to imagine us all going. It is a lot easier for us all to go on a Disney Cruise for seven grand, and it's definitely more appealing to the wife and kids. I've been lucky enough to be able to hunt white tail and hogs at my dispense my whole life. That being said, I'm making more money, buying bigger guns and I'm not giving up on the dream. I've just recently learned about the draw hunts in my state and have heard lots of success stories and the youth hunts seem to be a good deal and I believe that the hunting and shooting culture is good for the kids.

The way things are going on the family ranch, I've got a couple of more years of good hunting ahead of me. If I dont start getting drawn after that, I guess something will have to give. :D

Canned hunts?

Went on one for hogs.

I don't consider it very sporting if they tie the hog to the tree with a rope shorter than 10'. :D

About as challenging and "fair chase" as buying a package of sausages at Loblaws.

Yeah, if you pay enough you can shoot a pet. I love the guys who go on deer hunts to shoot a deer that has a name and known age. They hang them up on their walls and call themselves hunters. But I guess if I had the money I might go on a few "animal shoots".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.