Grits or taters

So is it Grits or taters or something else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How and why are you coffee free for three weeks? I keep size extra cans of coffee in the pantry in case of a disaster.
My arthritis got so bad, Dr has been suggesting Methotrexate, a chemo drug.
I thought, before I do that, I'm not doing my part yet.
Quit coffee, alcohol, all refined sugar and processed food, and have severely restricted my wheat intake.
I'm going to cut back on beef and instead just eat the remaining ~40 pound of venison left in the freezer.
So now it's rice, beans, rabbit food, and the occasional pork sausage or chicken. I do have a cup of cold tea each morning.
So far, I'm astounded at the positive effects.
Prior to doing this, my pain was what I would call an 8/10 for two days in the week. The rest of the week would be four to six on the scale. What's my 8? If you ever broke a leg or jaw, think how it felt the next day. Heck, even when I broke my L5 in my 20's, it didn't hurt this bad.
Since changing my diet like that, my worst day might be a three. I've gone from taking 8-12 motrin a day to just two Motrin and two Aleve (when needed). Most days I don't take any pain meds.
My hands no longer swell up, my knees don't ache, and I don't have the fog brain in the morning that used to make me reach for the coffee. If I can get my elbows to simmer down, and they are doing a lot better, I'll start doing pushups again.
Another postive, my wife tells me I'm not a 24/7 absolute a-hole anymore, just a grumpy bastige once in a while.

Perhaps TMI, but I never thought it would have such a positive effect.
Still, I do miss coffee.

Quit coffee, alcohol, all refined sugar and processed food, and have severely restricted my wheat intake.
I'm going to cut back on beef and instead just eat the remaining ~40 pound of venison left in the freezer.
So now it's rice, beans, rabbit food, and the occasional pork sausage or chicken. I do have a cup of cold tea each morning.
Prior to doing this, my pain was what I would call an 8/10 for two days in the week. The rest of the week would be four to six on the scale. What's my 8? If you ever broke a leg or jaw, think how it felt the next day. Heck, even when I broke my L5 in my 20's, it didn't hurt this bad.
Since changing my diet like that, my worst day might be a three. I've gone from taking 8-12 motrin a day to just two Motrin and two Aleve (when needed). Most days I don't take any pain meds.
My hands no longer swell up, my knees don't ache, and I don't have the fog brain in the morning that used to make me reach for the coffee. If I can get my elbows to simmer down, and they are doing a lot better, I'll start doing pushups again.
Another postive, my wife tells me I'm not a 24/7 absolute a-hole anymore, just a grumpy bastige once in a while.

Still, I do miss coffee.
That is a lot to give up. My hat is off to you for your dedication. Also glad it works. I never realized a change in diet could do that much for pain.

Probably go with the something else, that'd be cornbread. About once a week, in Winter, a big ole loaf pan of cornbread was baked with a handful of pecan halves throw in and some placed on top. A jar of honey and bit of Land O Lakes butter were the only add on needed. If it wasn't all gone by Saturday morning. Dad would wake up early, cut the leftover squares of cornbread in half, butter them and heat em up in a skillet for way to get everybody up. Getup boys, made Ya's breakfast, we got work to do today!

@P7M13 pinto beans in the crock pot with diced hatch chili's, chicken broth, season to taste and add a 1lb log of breakfast sausage in the last few hours of the cook will make a pretty good meal.

Buy a rice cooker, cooks perfect rice evey time and does it without babysitting it.
I use a pressure cooker. Four cups of brown/wild rice & quinoa takes 15 minutes (6 minutes at pressure). 2 lbs of beans takes 40, no soaking needed.

Still, I do miss coffee.
Why is your wife being so easy on you. Mine calls me way worse than that on a normal day.

@P7M13 pinto beans in the crock pot with diced hatch chili's, chicken broth, season to taste and add a 1lb log of breakfast sausage in the last few hours of the cook will make a pretty good meal.

Buy a rice cooker, cooks perfect rice evey time and does it without babysitting it.
That was Christmas dinner this year. Except we used ham instead of breakfast sausage.