Grits or taters

So is it Grits or taters or something else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LšŸ˜L! My wife and I are foodies and explore all kinds of cuisines. Cooking is also a passion of mine. If you have not seen it, I posted a few at the Cook's Corner Forum (https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/cooks-corner.62/). When we were in South Korea, one of the restaurants we frequented served a platter of different kinds of kimchees. I would have it for breakfast and whatever protein combination I feel like for that moment.

I like grits, too, but I grew up eating them with milk, butter, sugar, and occasionally coconut milk. A friend of mine from Georgia got me hooked on shrimp and grits. šŸ¤£
Shrimp and grits, fried fish and grits, and Salmon and grits cooked by someone that knows what they are doing makes for an amazing meal

I'm must have never had good grits because I think they are about the blandest most overrated food on the planet.

Give me a recipe and I will give them another go!

I went corned beef and hash, homemade of course....

I'm must have never had good grits because I think they are about the blandest most overrated food on the planet.

Give me a recipe and I will give them another go!

I went corned beef and hash, homemade of course....
Regular old grits and eggs mixed together with a slice of cheese stirred in is good. Put a teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoon or a little less of salt in a cup of grits is about right. Instant grits are ok. But the grits I like are the old fashioned type that need a minimum of an hour to cook. There is a store on Edisto Island called the Marsh Hen that grows odd strains of corn for their specialTy grits. They have several different varieties including Blue grits and they are delicious. Their Jimmy Red white grits are one of my favorites. They have a website and ship anywhere. Besides shrimp and fish you can fry a piece of real cured country ham and make you a little red eye gravy which is very good as well. Yellow grits to me seem to have just a tad more flavor.

Home fries crispy with peppers and onions. Growing up my grandmother would slice up leftover baked potatoes or boiled potatoes the next day and fry them up in bacon grease with peppers and onions
With a little oil & vinegar was the way my grandma made them. Minus the pepper. The bomb.

Old fashioned grits with salt, pepper, and lots of butter. Sunny eggs straight from the coop, Canadian bacon with a good scorch, and just a touch of maple syrup.
Dang. I've been coffee free for three weeks now, and just thinking about that plate makes me want to reach for that deep black cuppa joe.

Old fashioned grits with salt, pepper, and lots of butter. Sunny eggs straight from the coop, Canadian bacon with a good scorch, and just a touch of maple syrup.
Dang. I've been coffee free for three weeks now, and just thinking about that plate makes me want to reach for that deep black cuppa joe.
How and why are you coffee free for three weeks? I keep size extra cans of coffee in the pantry in case of a disaster.

I am/was a So Cal Guy who signed up for the USAF years ago. While in boot camp the first morning for breakfast I took some "cream of wheat" and was looking for some sugar. My training Sgt quickly advised me (in the kindness of terms LOL) that I had taken something called GRITS. Of course, take what you eat and eat what you take.
After a few months in the south (Texas) I discovered 'country ham'. Another fine example of how to 'cook' pig.
Strangely enough, with enough time I discovered I loved country ham and grits for breakfast.
FWIW, you cannot find that food combination in Utah, Italy, Conneticut, Missouri, Illinois, or California.....all the places I ended up living.

Last edited: