Grits or taters

So is it Grits or taters or something else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pa.Frank

I like em both, but given the choice I'll take grits.. and cooked aldente and stiff so a spoon will almost stand up in them then add with too much butter and a load of salt.. Served with scrambled eggs and sausage/bacon/scrapple of course..

I [posted this on another site and everyone had a lot of fun with it.. so enjoy

Growing up in the South Carolina Lowcountry you learn that there are two staples, Rice and Grits. Lord help if you don't like them. I love both of them.
I married a girl from Newberry SC, The upstate, across the unofficial Mason Dixon line which is I-95. I went to our 1st homecoming at her church and lo and behold there was not a single pot of rice. No perlow, no plain rice, nothing. Potatoes were everywhere. Well that just wouldn't do. I let wife, mother in law, and ladies of the church know that where I come from, rice was king. Next year they responded. I haven't been to a homecoming since that didn't have multiple rice dishes.

I voted for something else because it's how I roll. Yesterday, I had garlic fried rice, longanisa, tocino, sunny-side-up eggs, and slices of fresh tomatoes for breakfast. And, of course, a stout dose of dark roast black coffee.
I don't even know what half that stuff is. I'm a very plain eater. As long as there are beans and rice, particularly butter beans, I'm good. And grits and eggs for breakfast. I had depression era grandparents so meals were simple. But there was always fatback around, hot or cold. Which to this white boy is like crack cocaine. Plus 3 finger cat head biscuits that would melt in your mouth. Which we always used to sop up the peaches and juice granny put up every year. That woman could cook and did it in a small kitchen on An antiquated stove and the top of a wood burning stove we used for heat.

Last edited:
I don't even know what half that stuff is. I'm a very plain eater. As long as there are beans and rice, particularly butter beans, I'm good. And grits and eggs for breakfast. I had depression era grandparents so meals were simple. But there was always fatback around, hot or cold. Which to this white boy is like crack cocaine. Plus 3 finger cat head biscuits that would melt in your mouth. Which we always uses to sop up the peaches and juice granny put up every year. That woman could cook and did it in a small kitchen on An antiquated stove an the top of a wood burning stove we used for heat.
L😍L! My wife and I are foodies and explore all kinds of cuisines. Cooking is also a passion of mine. If you have not seen it, I posted a few at the Cook's Corner Forum (https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/cooks-corner.62/). When we were in South Korea, one of the restaurants we frequented served a platter of different kinds of kimchees. I would have it for breakfast and whatever protein combination I feel like for that moment.

I like grits, too, but I grew up eating them with milk, butter, sugar, and occasionally coconut milk. A friend of mine from Georgia got me hooked on shrimp and grits. 🤣

Recent Posts