For the Sake of all that is Sacred. what are we allowed to use in Ohio

If you must only do one rifle
+1 for the Ruger American gen 2 over a savage axis. Having owned both I personally would also take a gen 1 American over the axis. And I would put the 10/110 series savages more on par with the gen 2 Americans. But then you looking at a few more dollars.

If you can do two rifles , as someone else suggested an AR in 6.5grendel is a great deer cartridge (for a bottleneck legal state, NOT Ohio) I have a couple friends that have used it for years and I have most of the pcs to build my wife one when/if she decides she wants to start hunting. But the smaller you go/ lighter recoil your going to loose something. So either range or forgiveness of shot placement, being said; how new is your wife to shooting? Will she have time or want to get the practice in?
Then for the Ohio trip I have one of the bolt action savage 410s and it has been great for going back up north to hunt.

One last thing a 270 is not a light recoiling round. It's not the stoutest by any means but if my wife was new to shooting its not a round I would put her behind for getting into it. She will not want to put 20+ rounds down range in a single trip like she would with an AR or a braked 243, or 308.

Rumup is preaching the Ohio DNR gospel. Unfortunately your options are muzzleloader, shotgun or straight wall rifle cartridges. I used a .45 cal T/C Omega for years when I lived in Ohio. I finally bought a 460 S&W magnum in a Katadin(sp?) barrel for my T/C Encore once I moved to Indiana. Indiana had the same ignorant view on firearm hunting. The very next year, Indiana allowed the use of almost all hi powered rifles(.243 up to .50) and I have felt very blessed since that day...😆 I have yet to hear of anyone getting shot eating breakfast while sitting in their kitchens. That was an egregious tale spread around that hunters would be shooting through houses if they were allowed the use of modern hipower cartridges. The wild propaganda that DNR was spreading was insane. In indiana you still can't use modern non straight walled bullet rifles on certain DNR properties. I'm not sure how the use of the best and quickest humane killing cartridges are so hated by the Indiana DNR. I guess hunters and the DNR have different objectives.

I didn't get through all the previous posts so this may have already been covered, but be careful in MD. Some counties allow freedom to use a 6.5CM or 270Win or whatever, but many are straight wall or slug only. Just below you in AA Co, that is the case. When I heard my group was allowing straight walled, I jumped on an AR upper, then was told I could not use an AR style so went with a Savage Apex Hunter (110 not Axis). Two one shot kills last season. I am limited to 80yd shots max, so it is okay.

If you buy her a rifle with more recoil like a .444 or .45-70 and she shoots it once and it hurts her, your wasting your money and ruining her experience.
It would be disingenuous, but doing that, "oh honey, I'm sorry the recoil is too heavy --let's get you a different rifle." :)
I went with a Merkel O/U in 16 gauge/ 9.3 X 72Rimmed with a scope.
You sir, have fine taste.
Just be sure to get ammo that suits your hunting style.
Belt fed?

I didn't get through all the previous posts so this may have already been covered, but be careful in MD. Some counties allow freedom to use a 6.5CM or 270Win or whatever, but many are straight wall or slug only. Just below you in AA Co, that is the case. When I heard my group was allowing straight walled, I jumped on an AR upper, then was told I could not use an AR style so went with a Savage Apex Hunter (110 not Axis). Two one shot kills last season. I am limited to 80yd shots max, so it is okay.
Does Md. still have unlimited doe?

Only one person hit on the fly in the ointment, Maryland firearms & hunting laws. First only 2 counties allow calibers other than straight-wall, shotgun, etc. Those recommending AR style, also very restricted device in MD. Those recommending rifled barrel shotgun have not patterned such with anything other than slugs. Rifle barreled shotguns will spread any shot pattern, including double 00 buck, into donut shaped patterns i.e. no pellets in center of pattern. If shotgun is choice, go with smooth bore and, if slugs, get rifled slugs. With any of my 14 granddaughters or 24 GreatGranddaughters of age shotguns 20, 16 or 12 gauge recoil is not differentiated by gauge and not appreciated. My cowboy levers in 45 colt work nicely and recently 350 legend in bolt. (Side note: most of the feed problems encounted with 350 legend were from ARs and either or both the magazine andor feed ramp were the issue. Cured by caliber specific mags & polishing the feed ramp. Design 223/556 forgiving, straight wall not so.)
Like 350 legend due to recoil for my old self too, even in SC where most any caliber allowed. One SC granddaughter put her 7mm-08 aside for the 350L AR I built for her. Plus, participates in 22LR competitions out to 300 yards with similar scope and chassis shape.
Shooter & advisor read and understand rules & regs! practice, practice, practice

Actually, 11 of Maryland's counties allow bottle neck cartridges. AD's are not restricted with calibers that make minimum energy for either straight wall or bottle neck counties. The only county where buckshot in legal is in Dorchester county. Lots of swamps and Sika deer there.