For the Sake of all that is Sacred. what are we allowed to use in Ohio

Maybe the friends in ohio have a rifle she could use while there? I know that ive got multiple rifles someone could use if they were coming in from out of state to go hunting. Im sure the majority of LRH members are in same category (though we're in a select minority of well-armed people... unless they pass gun regidtration laws, wherein all we have is an old beat up single shot shotgun and an old rusty 22LR...)

Also, you -might- be able to get the same rifle as shell borrow in OH, but in a better caliber for maryland so she can practice at home w her rifle, then go borrow that other one in OH. If the recoil and scope setup is similar then using the different rifle wont be too different and the practice at home will transfer over.
being able to borrow rifle in one caliber, then buy one at home in different caliber, that may not realistically work out, but never hurts to check :)

YOu could always buy something like a Ruger American in 350 legend, have her practice w it, take it to OH to practice, then when she gets back sell it, buy same rifle but in better caliber for maryland... (actually, that rifle would probably sell easier in ohio, maybe leave it w those friends to sell?)

Good luck either way, hope it all works out for you / her one way or the other :) Having a wife that wants to shoot, hunt is a dream for a lot of people on here

Straight wall of choice for me, 450 bushmaster. We have I think 6 in our club. Taken a lot of deer under 150 yards. Most by children under 16. Great bullet, avaliable, most manufacturers make a rifle with it. Mine is an AR. All others are bolts, Ruger American comes with a brake, Mossberg patriot is a shooter. Hornady Black ammo runs through all our 450s. 13 year old with Mossberg 450 in pic.

Attachments

• 91302.jpeg
    91302.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 76
CVA Scout single shot is a great rifle in 450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend and a number of other straight wall cartridges. $300. for blued and $375. for stainless. The rifle comes with a picatinny rail so I would get a LPVO 1-6 or 1-8 with an illuminated dot. Primary Arms, Vortex Strike Eagle. Sig has an inexpensive MSR as well. In reality, considering the effective ranges of those cartridges, a simple red dot would work just fine. Henry would be another excellent choice but they're more expensive. but Henry does make the 360 Buckhammer which may one of the best straight wall cartridges available. As many others have posted, I am not a fan of the Savage Axis nor the Ruger American. Both are cheap rifles in every way, they're inexpensive for a reason.

So an uodate on the Rifle it would seem that it may not be a 6.5 cal but a 270 cal bad or good value for money at $425

I hate making assumptions and I'm far from all-knowing, so I'm going to roll the dice and assume, by saying simply "270 cal", you mean 270 Win. That's a bottleneck. Same for 270 Win Short Mag. Same for 270 British. And 270 Weatherby Magnum. Is there a 270 that is not a bottleneck? Not sure. Point is the answer to your question was given in the first response... straight wall only. A straight wall is just that - straight. It has no shoulder and neck like a bottleneck. Google those two types to compare images. Even if whatever 270 you were referring to was a straight wall it still doesn't meet the minimum caliber requirement.

Also already suggested, you really, really need to read the regulations and do some research on your own. If you're still hung up come back and ask questions then.

So many questions.
How big is your wife?
Has she ever shot a rifle before?
How much of an issue is recoil going to be?
Is Maryland going to be your primary hunting area?
Maryland used to have unlimited doe . Is that still true? Are you planning on eating the venison?
Unless you believe this is a passing fad, buy a decent rifle. Better to spend a little more and get a significantly better product. Maybe an AR in 6.5 grendel. Low recoil. And, get a shotgun for the Ohio trip.
Is the Ohio trip a one time thing; or will it be every year?
As a previous member mentioned does someone in Ohio have a firearm that she can borrow?
I would not get a rifle for Ohio that she will not like for Maryland.
-just a thought, maybe a 22rimfire (not for hunting) and go to the range and practice, practice, practice. 22 rim fire rifles are very cheap to buy. Also very cheap to shoot. If it turns out that she does not enjoy shooting, you have minimized your investment. On the other hand, is she enjoys it (cheap ammo, minimal recoil) all of the shooting she does will pay off big time. There is no substitute for putting rounds down range.

Hi!
We in Ohio were finally able to get to hunt deer with straight wall rifles .357 or larger. The ODNR finally allowed rifles for hunting I believe in 2017. It was a major step to get that ok'd. as many of you know prior to this a shotgun could be loaded with no more than 3 rounds.
It was suggested that ODNR "trust" deer hunters to load no more than 3 straight walled cartridges. They took that step!
If enough hunters here request bottle neck cartridges to be allowed, anything is possible???

You (MD) are getting suggestions for a deer rifle for your wife. Rifles shooting 45 Long Colt; 44 Magnum as well as other pistol calibers can work with less recoil.
I went with a Merkel O/U in 16 gauge/ 9.3 X 72Rimmed with a scope.
I would do this again, but I would prefer a 308 or 30-06
Most of the counties will allow a hunter to harvest up to 3 deer (only 1 can be antlered)
Good Luck!

Best Cartridge for Whitetails with, a LADY using IT, would Be, the .44 Rem Mag with, GOOD Expanding, 200 -240 grain H-P Bullets !
LOW Recoil, in a 7 to 8 lb Lever action, rifle and Kills, just FINE,. to,.. 150 Yards !
Scope it with, a good, ( Gridded / Hash Marked for, "Hold Over" ) 2 x 7 on, an accurate, Marlin or, Henry and go,. GET UM !
The ole' .45-70, Recoils,.. way TOO, MUCH for, MOST Women !!!
Buy her, a .45-70 and EXPECT,. a Divorce,.. IMO

Last edited:
How about she saves her money and borrows a suitable firearm for the severely regulated locale? That way when she does buy, it's appropriate for where she'll usually hunt and more importantly, best suited to her and her capabilities.

Hi Guys I just joined, The wife after many years of saying that she was going to get herself a Rifle has plumped for the Savage Axis MK1, 6.5cal. I think it is the Creedmoor but not certain
Now as far as I can figure out, that rifle at that calibre is legal in Maryland MD where we for the moment Live,

However, she has been invited by some Friends in Ohio to join them for some Deer Hunting in I think November this year 2024.

here's the question!
is that gun legal in Ohio for deer hunting, or is there a specific calibre of bullet type that that gun could take to make it legal.
shes kind of excited about this but I don't want her hard-earned money to be wasted on a Rifle that she won't be able to use in ohio,
I think with the rebate the gun with scope, she is getting for $500-$75 =$425 with the rebate if she gets it before the 31st of this month just been confirmed today that she passed the background Check.
Not sure what your budget is. However, if you want an easy to handle lightweight light recoil, and it hits like a freight train. I would get a Winchester or one of the clones model 94 chambered.in 38-55. The ammo is a little harder to find, however Winchester still makes it if you reload, you can customize this round any way you want. Again, fairly flat shooting up to probably a 150 to 200 yd. It will shoot much much further than that. Wouldn't use it for deer over 200. It is a very accurate round. It's been around since the late 1800s, and it hits like a freight train, very accurate, lightweight and easy to handle. Just my 2 cents, give it a look.