Favorite shotgun

My dad was a South paw. So.when he bought a gun he bought pumps. Back then a left hand gun was almost unheard of. So when my mother wanted a shotgun he ran across a mod. 12 with a pigeon grade forearm that nobody wanted because of the mis match. I really like that old model 12.
Today's solution for your dad would be the Benelli M2. 🥃

For hunting I prefer most any Beretta semi auto. I have 9 of them. Benelli's have far to much recoil for me. And they are the loudest shotgun out there.
For sporting clays I shoot a customized Browning Citori CX with an Isis recoil reduction system.
For Nostalgia I'll take my great uncle Gwynn's LC Smith that was gifted to me years ago. I try to kill a limit or two of doves with it every year.
2nd is the Belgium Browning A5. Not the new production pseudo 5 inertia gun. But the actual long recoil driven John M. Browning designed Auto 5. I have several but I'm most partial to my
Sweet 16.

Last edited:
I don't do a lot of bird hunting anymore, but when I used to goose hunt I sure liked my BPS 10ga w/black synthetic stock. It was a hammer on geese. I wish I would have kept it but I sold it to purchase a dishwasher for my wife. I currently own a plain jane Rem. 870 express. It works.
The gun I really loved shooting for upland game was my dad's Belgian Browning A5. I think my son will be inheriting that one. They don't make them like that anymore.
I to shot a BPS 10 when I was much tougher and younger. I don't ever remember it jamming and it would dishrag ducks.

I have 2-3"mags in both 12 and 20 gauges. A 2-3/4" 20 ga and two 2-3/4" 12's a std and a light. And I was able to find Japan barrels with invectors for some of them. Most were purchased in the 90's at various gun shows in Northern Calif.
Nice collection!

In mine I have an extremely low SN # first year of production Belgian light 2-3/4" 20 ga. that I recently picked up at Cabelas. It is in excellent condition, and was purchased to replace the one my Dad gave me when I was a young boy, we later traded it in on a light 12 ga. 2-3/4" that I still have. I picked a 3" Belgian 12 ga. A5 later in life,
and also have my Dad's 1921 vintage 2-3/4" 12 ga. he had all the years he was with me. It's a family tradition!

Nice collection!

In mine I have an extremely low SN # first year of production Belgian light 2-3/4" 20 ga. that I recently picked up at Cabelas. It is in excellent condition, and was purchased to replace the one my Dad gave me when I was a young boy, we later traded it in on a light 12 ga. 2-3/4" that I still have. I picked a 3" Belgian 12 ga. A5 later in life,
and also have my Dad's 1921 vintage 2-3/4" 12 ga. he had all the years he was with me. It's a family tradition!
At one time I owned 3 3" magnum Belgium Brownings (2 30" barrels and 1 32") but got in a tight for cash and had to sell them. I pretty much have a rule now that once I buy a gun I will never sell it.
My father in law died last November. He and I used to go to gun shows looking for A5s. I found and purchased two light 12s for him and he later picked up a sweet 16 with 2 barrels and a 20 gauge as well. One of the light 12s was a 1956 plain barreled model that I found. It had belonged to a friend of my grandfathers. It had been fired 6 times. Absolute mint condition. Pa in law left the 20 to my son and left me my choice. I chose the Sweet 16. He had told my mother in law to sell the other 2 to help with expenses. I was having none of that and my wife and I didn't want to see the collection split up so I told her to name her price. I bought both to keep them in the family and picked up a Remington Nylon 66 also. I do wish I still had those magnums and kick myself regularly in the butt for having to part with them.
I had a friend that had a magnum 20. He never would sell though and I sure gave him ample opportunity.
Did the 1921 model have the safety in the front of the trigger guard like a Garand safety? An uncle had one of those and I always admired it.

Last edited: