Shotgun Styles

I have owned and shot many brands and styles with a big emphasis on pre-64 Winchesters and LC Smith.

My favorite is my Model 21 Winchester 20ga.

It's fast and deadly on skeet and quail.

It was a gift to my father and from him to me. Also, my son shot his first pheasant with it.

When you have a shotgun that is nearly 70 years old and has fired thousands of rounds and still works like new, you have to appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship.

-- richard

Everything that I own, shotgunwise, is hunting oriented. One is a semi-auto with a 24" barrel, one is a pump with a 20" barrel and one is an old single shot with a 30" barrel.

All 3 pattern very well at longer ranges. I prefer tight patterning shotguns, so that the intended target gets hit and hit hard. If I miss at closer ranges due to the tighter patterns, that's my fault, not the shotgun's.

Coyotes and geese are my game with these shotguns. :)
Bowhunter57

Benelli super black eagle- duck and dove gun*
Kolar combo- trap gun*
Browning xt- trap gun*
Bretta 682 x action. (need a set barrels)- originally a trap gun I bought it to make a sporting clays gun.*
Beretta 20 ga white wing- bird hunting.*
browning *BPS 10 ga - turkey & ducks*
Browning gold 10 ga- turkey& ducks.*
& many more but these are my favorites.

Been shooting Remington Autos for 35+ years. I love the craftsmanship that goes into a nice SxS or O&U. But I don't like the way they swing for me & in hunting ducks 2 shots is not enough too many times a guy shoots a double then have to finish a cripple off . I also like to shoot Triples 3 shots 3 birds or the Quad 4 shots & 4 birds. I will admit in the uplands its mostly 2 shots & done.​

Attachments

• 1100 & 11-87 3.jpg
    1100 & 11-87 3.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 137
Remington 870 12 gauge super express mag 28" bbl...use it for anything that's flying or runnin....killed lots of rabbits,doves,pigeons,clay and dragonflys( they are harder to hit than you'd think)

if yiu shooting strait out front at a bird most any style will do to a certain extent. But if the bird is crossing left to right or vise versa there's a huge difference in stocks and forends. The typical pistal grip stock with the typical forend tends to lock up your hands while swinging. Where as a typical English strait stock with a splinter forend will aloow you a constant swing. That's why better upland bird guns have the English style stocks with a splinter forend. Then there's the issue of cast on and cast off in the butt end of the stocks. Pumps and low cost O/U's are typically generic in this nature. Never ralized how impotant all this was till I used an Aya in 16 gauge one fall. Been ruined ever since. Pumps and autos typically don't balance well (there are a couple that do from Italy). A gun that balances well tends to shoulder much better, and the front bead tends to become an extention of your forearm. One of the best point shotguns I've ever owned cost be the ghastly sum of $160 thirty years ago. It was ugly, but patterned everything from fives to nines extremely well. Tends to center the pattern about 1.5" high at fifty feet. But my all time favorite shot without even the slightest after thought is a Bernadelli Hemingway in either 28 gauge or 16 gauge with the nickel coined finish and hand rubbed oil finished stock with a leather butt pad. Weighs 5.75 lb. with a 25.5" barrel and English stock and splinter forend. Nothing is better period.

Somebody mentioned Charles Daly shotguns in this thread. If it's an Italian made one, then it's built by Sabatinni. That's probably equale to a Browning O/U in quality with a better barrel. I had a Leige and one of those guns. Got rid of the Browning as the other had a better sense of balance and neither swung very well. Another to look for is from Angelo Zoli. Little better than a Browning in quality and shoots a lot better.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.