Exceedingly Bummed-Out

And further I certainly will clarify I'm not claiming some dire poverty or anything like that haha. If I can afford 10 "nothing fancy" firearms, some with optics (none of them fancy either) and some without, reloading equipment and components for most of them, etc….I could just own one to three higher end guns with similar optics, and acknowledge that I choose not to…cuz where's the fun in one gun!? 🤣

Now wait a cotton pick'n minute…..I resemble that remark! 😂 memtb

I would put money on this being a torque or scope issue. Even though things are loctited, take a torque wrench to every single screw. Bases, rings, the lot. Do the same for action screws. I've seen loose action screws cause weird weird events.

Once physically torqued (not just assumed or looked at) take the suspect ammo and another known ammo and shoot groups side by side. This will give you most of the needed data points.

If both groups are good, then you 1) had a trash day, 2) you need to look at the powder and temperature difference, or 3) start testing shooting positions to see if your groups go to heck with forward stock pressure (like a bipod) or something similar.

If both groups are enormous, then your scope died.

If one ammo groups well and the other sucks, then you can look at your ammo details and see what happened.

Isolating variables is the only way to verify this. Keep your shooting form good, let the gun cool between shots, take your time and ensure the shooting platform is the same for everything.

Trying to eliminate some variables…..but, gathered a few more as previously mentioned!

In an attempt to eliminate the scope…..I shot a couple of rounds this morning @ 300 yrds. from a previously proven load. I didn't try for competition shooting…..just good form and squeeze the trigger. No cooling between the shots…. 2" @ 300. Certainly not great, but it was hurried shots. Went checked target (4 wheeler), once back at the bench, sat down and shot 2 of the trouble loads with no additional barrel cooling pretty rapidly (barrel still a bit warm from previous 2 rounds) …..2 1/8" inch.

However, the temps this morning were 20+ degrees cooler this morning than during yesterday evening's shooting! A new variable!

While not a comprehensive test…..it kinda indicates that the scope ain't broke. Or at least not badly broke! 🤔

The previous evenings groups were terrible, but when making a scope adjustment…..the group (very loose term) impact shift was dramatically. This was the reason that I was having trouble staying on paper. A relatively minor adjustment…..would shift impact area dramatically, and the multiple shots for the new group were easily 6+ inches apart!

I'm starting to think that it may have been the "loose nut" behind the trigger! I felt really comfortable when shooting, thought that it should've been some of my best shooting…….not my worst ever shooting! memtb

I have wasted more powder and bullets due to loose screws or failed optics than I care to admit. My money is on one of these things. A 30, 50, or even a 100 fps change isn't going to take you from sub moa to not hitting a paper plate at 100y.

The rifle has not been removed from the "fully bedded", McMillan stock in many years…..those screws are also Loctite'd as well. Not saying it didn't happen….but every screw on the scope base/rings have also been Loctite'd for years. Even the scope saddles get a bead of Loctite when the scope is mounted…..I want nothing moving……ever! 😉

The horror show was taking place @ 300 yards. If it were this bad at 100, I wouldn't be stressed….I'd be suicidal! 🙀 memtb

And further I certainly will clarify I'm not claiming some dire poverty or anything like that haha. If I can afford 10 "nothing fancy" firearms, some with optics (none of them fancy either) and some without, reloading equipment and components for most of them, etc….I could just own one to three higher end guns with similar optics, and acknowledge that I choose not to…cuz where's the fun in one gun!? 🤣
I totally agree. There's no way I'd have a $3.5k riflescope if I had to buy it. I certainly wouldn't have bought a $1500 (or $2k? I'm really not sure) 1-6x riflescope. Now $1k riflescopes are where it's at. I can't see myself buying anything cheaper unless for a .22 or something similar. It's also nice because I get military discounts on pretty much everything so it's usually substantially cheaper than $1k.

So 2" at 300 is 2/3 moa which is plenty good from a hunting rifle (in my opinion). If it will regularly hold that, the scope isn't likely jacked nor are the screws. But, try your adjustments again. At 300, adjust 1 moa and see if it moves 1 moa. If it moves more or less, then the scope goes in to the shop. Rarely will a scope move EXACTLY 1 moa when it says it does, but usually it's quite close. If it moves 3.5" instead of 3" at 300 that's not ideal but you can work with it. If it moves 4+ inches, send it in.

Memtb,
This has been a fun post, thank you for sharing your frustrations and reminding me that I'm not alone. At times (if I had any hair on my head) I could just pull it out. By the way did you find any elk on your scouting trip? Be safe and have a great hunt.

Thanks for your gracious comments! I'm glad that I'm not alone in my little failures/frustrations…..but, that could also suggest that I'm happy to see others suffer! 😂

We just went for a "lookie see" across the road from the house! It's a General Area, but has a very low probability of a kill…..due to the fact that there are very few elk, and the majority of those frequen5 private ground!

Between the frustration of the rifle issues, and our wasting time looking for near nonexistent elk 🤔…… we're "not" spending enough time prepping for a hunt in a much better area.

Will spend tomorrow getting the camper ready and hopefully get to some real elk country in a few days! memtb

Field tests on another site have shown scopes walking around and making their way back to their previous spot, or not moving at all from adjustment then after a shot or two radically moving.

I'm not saying it is your scope, I'm just saying it still might be.

Sometimes we do have really bad days, but I guess I believe in you more than the equipment 😂

Field tests on another site have shown scopes walking around and making their way back to their previous spot, or not moving at all from adjustment then after a shot or two radically moving.

I'm not saying it is your scope, I'm just saying it still might be.

Sometimes we do have really bad days, but I guess I believe in you more than the equipment 😂

Thanks for the compliment……you have more faith in me than I do at this moment!

But, the scope is acting like what you described!

This has been an exercise in frustration!

I wish that I didn't have so much stuff going on and could completely dedicate time to resolve this! memtb