Exceedingly Bummed-Out

memtb

As some of you may remember, I developed a new load for my hunting rifle this past summer!

The loads were very promising, all groups were decent with the final two very near my desired velocity, with the last two loads (just 3 shot groups) 1 grain different charges, giving low velocity deviation, shot 2 days apart, grouping almost on top of each other….the larger group under 3/4" inch the better @ just under 1/2".

Fast forward to yesterday. With some of the Fall chores complete, and our elk hunt coming up very soon….I thought that I'd adjust my zero with my new load.

Near perfect shooting conditions, I was rested and not terribly sore from all of the Fall chores. I made an adjustment (only a small adjustment was needed) off of my test groups…..shooting for (pun intended) for my 300 yard zero! Target was set-up on my 300 yard target frame out of the back door of our house. I shot a 3 shot group, rode down to the target, and only found one hole on the 11"x 17" paper…..barely. 🙀

It was on the edge if the paper, the other 2 shots lost on my black, rubber backboard…..I adjust off of the one hole seen on paper! The next rounds fired were way (waaaaay) off from where the adjustment should have placed them……with many (a whole bunch) of inches between the impacts! 🤬 WTH

I felt very good about my shooting techniques, and when shooting my wife's rifle…..my groups were decent. Yet with every adjustment…..the impacts were grossly different from were they should be! Notice I said impacts…..these were "NOT" groups! 🤬

With the sun getting lower in the sky, 14 rounds wasted, and my frustration/anxiety levels at a peak …..I quit for the day! ☹️

I didn't sleep well last night……as I have no clue as to what exactly is happenin! Today, after my visit to my therapist, I'll go out with a previously proven load and see if the rifle will group with it! 🫰🏻

My two fears: the scope has gone to hell, or…..and this thought is really disturbing, the slightly heavier/longer bullets are not remaining stable @ distance! I waited about 5 or 6 years to get these bullets….I really want them to work! Though, all of the bullet impact holes appeared to be perfectly round…..none "keyholed"! memtb

Oh, man, that sounds frustrating. Was the rifle touching anything hard when you fired it?
My thoughts as well!
If you were shooting off of bipod when sighting and switched to bags next time or vice versa... sometimes the flex of the stock will cause barrel contact and throw it off enough to do exactly what you saw.
I had a floated barrel that slid a dollar bill when rested on bipod but began throwing a random shot here and there before realizing that any different torque or bipod loading (or barrel heating) created was enough to touch the barrel and cause POI shift.
I opened the channel up more and it solved the problem.

Had a similar thing happen with a rifle this summer. Broken erector spring (in the scope)

Good thing yours comes with a lifetime warranty, @memtb

Even better that you 'found' the problem before hunting season.

WTH moments are no fun on paper but can be a lot worse on an animal.

If I recall correctly you have a backup scope zero'd and ready - why not give that a 'shot' 👍

As some of you may remember, I developed a new load for my hunting rifle this past summer!

The loads were very promising, all groups were decent with the final two very near my desired velocity, with the last two loads (just 3 shot groups) 1 grain different charges, giving low velocity deviation, shot 2 days apart, grouping almost on top of each other….the larger group under 3/4" inch the better @ just under 1/2".

Fast forward to yesterday. With some of the Fall chores complete, and our elk hunt coming up very soon….I thought that I'd adjust my zero with my new load.

Near perfect shooting conditions, I was rested and not terribly sore from all of the Fall chores. I made an adjustment (only a small adjustment was needed) off of my test groups…..shooting for (pun intended) for my 300 yard zero! Target was set-up on my 300 yard target frame out of the back door of our house. I shot a 3 shot group, rode down to the target, and only found one hole on the 11"x 17" paper…..barely. 🙀

It was on the edge if the paper, the other 2 shots lost on my black, rubber backboard…..I adjust off of the one hole seen on paper! The next rounds fired were way (waaaaay) off from where the adjustment should have placed them……with many (a whole bunch) of inches between the impacts! 🤬 WTH

I felt very good about my shooting techniques, and when shooting my wife's rifle…..my groups were decent. Yet with every adjustment…..the impacts were grossly different from were they should be! Notice I said impacts…..these were "NOT" groups! 🤬

With the sun getting lower in the sky, 14 rounds wasted, and my frustration/anxiety levels at a peak …..I quit for the day! ☹️

I didn't sleep well last night……as I have no clue as to what exactly is happenin! Today, after my visit to my therapist, I'll go out with a previously proven load and see if the rifle will group with it! 🫰🏻

My two fears: the scope has gone to hell, or…..and this thought is really disturbing, the slightly heavier/longer bullets are not remaining stable @ distance! I waited about 5 or 6 years to get these bullets….I really want them to work! Though, all of the bullet impact holes appeared to be perfectly round…..none "keyholed"! memtb
I can totally feel your pain. I bought a new to me rifle a few months ago. I finally got all the parts and pieces gathered up to get the scope and stuff on it and took it out to the range for a quick session. This was literally my first group out of the rifle after a three shot sight in. this is five shots into about 3/8". I was on cloud 9. It was Hornady factory ammo, and I am not an ELD-X fan so I loaded up some of my preferred bullets to try out and went back to the range two weeks later. Nothing shot even close and most were over the one inch mark so I thought I will try some more of the ELD-X ammo to get me on the bull at 200 yards and go from there. It took two rounds to get it into the bull at 200 yards and then my five shot group was the size of a baseball. If I hadn't been shooting my 6.5 x 284 as well the same day, and it shot fantastic, I would have just chalked it up to a bad day at the range, as I have had some of those. :) Anyway I have not been back to see if I could figure it out as too many things keep getting in the way but hunting season is upon us here in Montana and I need to get to it. Good luck in your quest to figure out what the heck is going on and please share maybe it will translate to my issue as well.

Attachments

• 300 PRC McWhorters.jpg
    300 PRC McWhorters.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 33
Well….I was just venting, and didn't really expect a diagnosis with my limited info given! But, I'll fill in a few blanks.

Other than a temperature difference of 25 or so degrees…..all other shooting conditions (bench, elevation, shooting procedures, ect.) are identica!

I just talked with Barnes to make certain that it should not be a bullet stability issue. I was told that with my twist rate, velocity, and mv……stabilization was not an issue!

I think that loose scope mounts/bases, ect. are not an issue…..everything is Loctite'd. The scope has been that way for years!

I need to wait a little while to let my neighbors finish their night's sleep….I'll go out and shoot a proven load to determine "if" the scope has failed! memtb

My thoughts as well!
If you were shooting off of bipod when sighting and switched to bags next time or vice versa... sometimes the flex of the stock will cause barrel contact and throw it off enough to do exactly what you saw.
I had a floated barrel that slid a dollar bill when rested on bipod but began throwing a random shot here and there before realizing that any different torque or bipod loading (or barrel heating) created was enough to touch the barrel and cause POI shift.
I opened the channel up more and it solved the problem.
@Oklahunter1