Exceedingly Bummed-Out

I've had scopes die in the safe for no discernible reason. No bumps, no wrecks. But good one range trip, safed for 8 months, taken out to verify before season and scope no workie no more. I had a vx2 and a vx3 both do that. Both were rebuilt no questions asked but still. Just cause it was good last time isn't a guarantee.

Very true! It was great when doing load development about 6 weeks ago. The problems appeared after I made an adjustment……lending more credence to a failed scope!

Hope to do a "box test/drill" tomorrow! memtb

Many moons ago I watched my father trying to site in on a cardboard box after missing a speed goat by a large margin. He was having trouble and ended up getting scoped with his 300wby.The scope had failed.I had a walking zero that worsened on my 325 ism, spent quite some time chasing it, the pic rail loosend.I bedded and locktite after that.

At an absolute standstill on "box testing" the scope for today, or putting the back-up on and verifying it's zero!

We've received 3" rain over the past 24 hrs. (our average annual is around 4")……very windy with gusts to 55 mph predicted! Not a real good day for working with the rifle!

On the bright side….went to our potential elk hunt area yesterday afternoon/evening. Found some prospective places to place the camper……if the road is not washed out by now! 😁 memtb

Last edited:
Since you're into elk and season is running, it might be worth slapping on the backup, verifying it, and chasing some critters. Odds are still high that's where your problem lies, and if so then the backup scope is going to be your necessity while the primary gets fixed. It may be worth skipping the box test right now (time and ammo wise) and just moving to the secondary. Then either test again after season, or send it off asking for a repair job and see what they say.

Since you're into elk and season is running, it might be worth slapping on the backup, verifying it, and chasing some critters. Odds are still high that's where your problem lies, and if so then the backup scope is going to be your necessity while the primary gets fixed. It may be worth skipping the box test right now (time and ammo wise) and just moving to the secondary. Then either test again after season, or send it off asking for a repair job and see what they say.

That's pretty much the plan…..but, the weather is not cooperating at all! And, with very limited places to park the "hunt'n camp" we need to get it in there early tomorrow morning…..before the weekend onslaught!

I talked with Leupold yesterday morning…..the scope will be going to them after hunting season!

While I've proven the back-up to be dead-on when going back and forth in testing the QD setup…..I really hate to operate on blind faith!

I really hate to be the star in a soap opera… this is starting to be ridiculous! Things are never simple! 😉😁 memtb

That's pretty much the plan…..but, the weather is not cooperating at all! And, with very limited places to park the "hunt'n camp" we need to get it in there early tomorrow morning…..before the weekend onslaught!

I talked with Leupold yesterday morning…..the scope will be going to them after hunting season!

While I've proven the back-up to be dead-on when going back and forth in testing the QD setup…..I really hate to operate on blind faith!

I really hate to be the star in a soap opera… this is starting to be ridiculous! Things are never simple! 😉😁 memtb
Lol no things are never simple. BUT, you're prepared for this eventuality. You've got the backup, you've tested the qd swap, it *should* work assuming the issue isn't a gun/ammo problem.

An equipment failure pre-season is nerve wracking. A couple years back my Leupold on my 30-06 died and I found out about 5 days before season. I swapped in a crappy backup that nonetheless worked, but it was immediately stressful to have to make more ammo, burn it to sight in the new scope, and cross my fingers this one didn't crap the bed as well. I feel your anxiety.

Lol no things are never simple. BUT, you're prepared for this eventuality. You've got the backup, you've tested the qd swap, it *should* work assuming the issue isn't a gun/ammo problem.

An equipment failure pre-season is nerve wracking. A couple years back my Leupold on my 30-06 died and I found out about 5 days before season. I swapped in a crappy backup that nonetheless worked, but it was immediately stressful to have to make more ammo, burn it to sight in the new scope, and cross my fingers this one didn't crap the bed as well. I feel your anxiety.

Thank 👍 you're right on all counts, but it's getting difficult to be optimistic!

Will get busy doing all of the final preps so we can head-out fairly early tomorrow morning ! memtb

Thank 👍 you're right on all counts, but it's getting difficult to be optimistic!

Will get busy doing all of the final preps so we can head-out fairly early tomorrow morning ! memtb

That's the beauty of preparation; no optimism required!

Known good load (the old one)

Known good scope (the backup one)

Verify every screw is properly torqued when switching the scope over, and if the bullets impact where they should you can go hunting and save problem solving for the off-season 👍