Exceedingly Bummed-Out

Any updates on this and what it turned out to be?

Aside from a multitude of usual problems…..it was great to get out. It was the first semi-real attempt to go hunting since my wife lost her son in Oct, several years ago!

We saw elk, left them for seed 😂……cows and calves! Most importantly, spent time in beautiful country and we actually went hunting! 😉 memtb

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

I just found all of your comments …..and they are appreciated!

In my previous post I gave an update on our hunt/camping trip/vacation! No meat to process…..but a great time none the less! memtb

Last edited:
memtb

I have never seen a 1/2 moa load from a good rifle @100 yards go to 2+ moa @ 300…enough to miss an 11x17" target.

If your ammo is consistent enough for 1/2 moa @100, it shouldn't be the ammo problem at 300.

NOT enough temp differential to throw it that far out of whack either.

If your load and rifle combo is TRULY 1/2 moa… there is definitely another issue causing your problem.

My opinion:
1) Shooter technique and ability
2) Scope and/or rings
3) Stock bedding or barrel contact issue

Good luck with scouting!
I have seen this on multiple occasions. I learned to use a wind flag, this problem never cropped up again. When I shot the really good groups, wind was minimal. Fast forward to later with a switching head wind, there you go.

I have seen this on multiple occasions. I learned to use a wind flag, this problem never cropped up again. When I shot the really good groups, wind was minimal. Fast forward to later with a switching head wind, there you go.
Taking wind out of the equation… I have not seen a 1/2 moa @ 100 go to 2+ at 300.
Throw the wind in there... Hell yeah... I've missed there too!

Last edited:
I don't think wind was an issue… That's one of the benefits of having a backyard range……you shoot the 300 yard groups on calm days!

I'm convinced that it's the scope…..but haven't proved or disproved that yet! The problems arose with an adjustment…..went far beyond where it should've gone. That kinda takes using the CDS completely out of the equation when hunting! ☹️

I did get it to zero……but adjustments were erratic! So went back to the tried and true system ……"hold on hair" to 400 yards! Beyond 400 yards…..wish them well! 😉 me

memtb:

FWIW...Two years ago I had a best friend's son who came to me with a brand new Tikka 7mm-08 and a Leupold VX-5Hd scope to help sight in.
He is a 28 yo rookie hunter who finally afforded himself a new rifle setup. He bought it at a well-renound sporting goods shop down here. They mounted the scope in Leupold standard windage mounts and boresighted and said you're good to go.
We shot it and had 2 close and a wild 3rd shot. Shot again and had a wild first shot and two closer.
As I tried to adjust, it would move in odd ways.
I finally told him it had to be a scope issue so he sent it off to Leupold. I came back with a passing test.
I mounted it up, checked and re-torqued all screws and shot again and had the same problem.
I then told him I doubt it's the rifle... Lets change the scope mount setup to a Lupy dual dovetail mount.
After mounting in the dual dovetail rings... It shot one of the best factory groups I've seen.
He just came back yesterday to check zero because he's leaving for a big hunt. He pulled it out from under the back seat in soft case and it looked a bit neglected but shot a fabulous group exactly where it was set two years ago.

Scope mounts can be a mind breaker.

Roughrice…….very true! I don't want to believe that the base/rings are the problem….but anything is possible!

The scope has been mounted for years, all screws Loctite'd, even the scope rings/saddles had Loctite applied……but as just said, anything is possible! memtb
I mean no disrespect here, but "scope has been mounted for years" is usually when I get more suspicious about things, not less. Once youve done your box test, if you still have issues, it's worth tearing everything off the top of the receiver and swapping in another set of bases and rings. I have piles and piles of spares laying around if you need some to test with.

I mean no disrespect here, but "scope has been mounted for years" is usually when I get more suspicious about things, not less. Once youve done your box test, if you still have issues, it's worth tearing everything off the top of the receiver and swapping in another set of bases and rings. I have piles and piles of spares laying around if you need some to test with.
I agree… the scope mounts were torqued to max and the Leupold windage screws were jammed as tight as can be and still had issues.
When we changed the mounts, the rifle immediately grouped great and the scope adjustments moved correctly.

**** happens!

Thank You for the very generous offer!

But, I still struggle with the idea that it's a mount issue. After an adjustment and several rounds fired…..it settles in and shoots as good as I'm capable! memtb

The sooner you send it to Leupold the sooner you will get it back. No matter what tests you run, you will not have total confidence in your scope until you send it back then prove it out afterwards. There have simply been too many scope related problems. I wouldn't waste any more rounds before that. Good luck!