Ever find a shotgun while hunting?

I used to fly with rifles for hunts. So I had one of those super aluminum double rifle cases for the airlines. I loaned my 30-378 W to a friend for a late elk hun in Utah about 700 miles away. They ended up getting snowed out so bad that on the third day that they had to load up the quads and chain up all 4 tires just to get down out of the mountains. My rifle was in the case strapped on the back of the quad. They drove back and decided to gas up all the quads and truck before heading out to where the guy lives up in the hills out of town. It was also snowing here and dark, but he unstrapped the rifle and just put it next to the quads on a car hauler type trailer for the last 15 miles.

Well when he got home it was gone. The rifle had a 30 inch custom barrel and $1500 dollar scope. It was November and I said that maybe someone will find it because it had my name address and phone number on the case holder for flying. 6 months later a lady was riding her horse out in the hills and found it down an embankment off the road not all that far from my friends house. I told my friend to go get it and for him to give that honest lady $1000 bucks. That super case was basicically water proof and it made it clear through the snowy winter. The case only had some dings from bouncing down the hill but not much damage because of the snow on the ground.

It was everyones lucky day! :)

I sold a shotgun at work the other day to an older fellow who needed a new one because "I left my old one up against a tree somewhere and never saw it again". Alarming, funny, and unfortunate all at once.

That dude exemplified some life goals for me tho haha…old Indigenous grampa hunter who was just excited as could be that he was gonna go duck hunting with his kids and grandkids! his ID showed he was born 1943, I hope that when I'm his age, if the Lord sees fit to let me get that old, I'm out duck hunting with my kids and their kids too. It was awesome, just wanted the cheapest break action single shot we had but those kind of gun sales honestly feel like more of a win for me than the big money ones (especially cuz I don't work on commission 🤣)
Thank you for sharing this story with us. My DOB ends in 1946, and....I thank God every single day for giving me another day on this earth. We black bear hunt as our annual ritual. Due to being who I thought superman in my 30s, 40s and 50s, my physical condition is not too conducive to walking, but...black bear hunting over bait still works for me. Plus it gives me an opportunity to spend time with my son making great memories that will live both his lifetime and mine. I again thank God every day for giving me this opportunity. I was fortunate this past season to find an outfitter who was compassionate and respectful of me and my present condition. I can walk okay, but going through dried creek bottoms and over protruding ruts in the path leading to the blind can be challenging. However....coming out of that blind in the dark is another challenge yet! After my first attempt of coming out in very dim light conditions, in the dark, the outfitter realized that I was having quite some difficulty managing my way out. On the next night of coming out of the blind he told me to stay at the blind and he would come in to get me. The next night he came in, I was waiting at the ground blind as he had asked. He came over grabbed my gun, then grabbed my hand and helped me through the myriad of uneven ground and protruding roots between the blind and the path leading out of the blind. On the following night he came in again grabbed my gun, then helped me to the path to the blind, then he told me to stop which I did. He then reached under my arm, grabbed my hand and then pinned my forearm between his and helped me out. This happened every night until the end of the week of hunting. This experience was "extremely" humbling to me to say the least. I think that oftentimes we forget that sooner or later it is inevitable that "we" all are going to reach this humbling state. So thank you Lord for letting me get this old and for letting still do the things that I like to do and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to still make lasting memories with those who are close to me and who I love.