Custom built muzzy

^^^ Good point. The OP should talk to Kyle at Pittman Bullets to see what the bc is and if there will be enough energy/penetration for the size critters he will be hunting at the impact distances he is expecting.

I just saw that he has harder bullets now for closer impact ranges, I might get some to test this Fall.

Pittman Aeromax 300g bullets .452" dia.
  • Sectional Density .210
  • Doppler Verified Ballistic Coefficient .400 G1 at 2746 FPS Muzzle Velocity. Conditions 63*F, 18% Humidity, 800 FT Elevation, 948 DALT, 29.41 Pressure, The Ridge Shooting Range, Dayton, TN. 3-20-21

A custom built 45cal rifle, with all the suggestions made built into the rifle, the rifle is certainly capable of killing elk at 400yds and even 500yds.
Remember............. he'd be shooting a CUSTOM and not a production rifle. He can send 300gr bullets at well over 2,300fps depending on his build and the bullets being shot.
I favor the XLD myself, or my rifle does.

This chart shows the 300gr XLD bullet using 100grs by WEIGHT of BH209.

BH 100grs W 6-23-21.JPG

A custom built 45cal rifle, with all the suggestions made built into the rifle, the rifle is certainly capable of killing elk at 400yds and even 500yds.
Remember............. he'd be shooting a CUSTOM and not a production rifle. He can send 300gr bullets at well over 2,300fps depending on his build and the bullets being shot.
I favor the XLD myself, or my rifle does.

This chart shows the 300gr XLD bullet using 100grs by WEIGHT of BH209.

View attachment 284668

I agree with your points..a 50 or 45 is certainly capable of killing at the above distances.
Question... what is the minimum velocity needed for expansion of your favorite bullet?
Also the trajectory of the xld bullet is a bit like an artillery shell after 200 yards. What would it look like at 2800 fps starting point?

I agree with your points..a 50 or 45 is certainly capable of killing at the above distances.
Question... what is the minimum velocity needed for expansion of your favorite bullet?
Also the trajectory of the xld bullet is a bit like an artillery shell after 200 yards. What would it look like at 2800 fps starting point?
.190 g7

My SML launches the 300 grain bullets at 2800+ fps and will shoot 3 into 1.5 inches at 300 yards, easily with no cleaning in between shots. Get a large effective muzzle brake! A really good stock design with large recoil pad is also essential. The SML's with their speed and bullet weight buck the wind really well. 500 yard deer and elk are no problem if you can shoot.

Bartlein 27 in barrel, Macmillan stock, Triggertech diamond, Pic rail with built in recoil lug, Burris tactical 6 screw rings on Nightforce NSX
5.5-22 X .....

Last edited:
Thanks

About 30" less drop at 500, plus ~2100#energy and roughly 1800FPS remaining at that difference. Honestly, a no-brainer.
No-brainer, yup, smokeless is faster with more energy however........... BH209 at custom rifle capabilities will kill any elk walking at 500yds. They've been killing them at that distance with both the RUM and UF 50cal rifles.

As another has mentioned, smokeless isn't allowed in many of the state's designated muzzleloader seasons, NM, AZ, NV, MT, CO, ID, WY, UT and many more including MI and other mid-west states.

I would use smokeless in a heartbeat but as noted the states that i hope to elk hunt in do not allow it.

Another question, what's the optimal twist rate for using 300gr bullets give or take say 25gr?

And to clarify a bit, those distances would be max. I always strive to stalk as close as possible for the shot but there are times when you run out of any cover.

Is MOA a realistic goal for the rig I'm building? I know that's a loaded question, if the person shooting is practiced and capable?

I would use smokeless in a heartbeat but as noted the states that i hope to elk hunt in do not allow it.

Another question, what's the optimal twist rate for using 300gr bullets give or take say 25gr?

And to clarify a bit, those distances would be max. I always strive to stalk as close as possible for the shot but there are times when you run out of any cover.

Is MOA a realistic goal for the rig I'm building? I know that's a loaded question, if the person shooting is practiced and capable?
Luke just spun me up a barrel for my kelblys. He said I should expect 1/2 Moa at 100 yards.

1:18 is a good twist and will stabilize the top quality bullets. 1:19 is the twist in my Rock Creek barrel and if I have a good day, it'll shoot .3moa to 600yds with either BH209 or SML.
Lots of great suggestions have been made. Keep asking questions. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it over.

That's great shooting! I talked to my smith last night, he said that he would order the barrel from brux sml capable. He also said that a 1:20 twist is what he planned on ordering. Will that be ok?

This will be a hunting rig and will be packing it around the mountains so would like to keep the weight to a reasonable level.

What's the best way to keep the barrel weight down without going carbon fiber?
Smaller contour barrel, thicker barrel with fluting either spiral or straight? Thanks