Custom actions, are they worth it?

Yes they are worth it. If you want to settle for less and it meets you needs, wants or budget, I am happy for you. You don't need a custom to hunt, or even compete just shoot in a production class. and if you are satisfied and never think about how you can make your self and your equipment better, and you have reached a level you are content with, you are truly blessed and I envy you in some ways. This level of contentment will save you allot of money. But if you enjoy the pursuit of excellence beyond the point of what is necessary to get the job done, then by all means the custom action is worth it.

There is a HUGE I repeat HUGE difference between cherry picked groups and a statistically significant average dispersion size. Cherry picked groups only tell the best the rifle is capable of, not the realistic average that can be expected.

Last edited:
There is a HUGE I repeat HUGE difference between cherry picked groups and a statistically significant average group size. Cherry picked groups only tell the best the rifle is capable of, not the realistic average that can be expected.
I rarely shoot for a group, I will occasionally just to see what the rifle is doing or to prove to myself it can still shoot small groups. I'm usually shooting round robin on steel from 400 to however far, to prove the optic continuously tracks well, to read varying winds at varying distances, and to simply not get bored. Boredom, I remember why I don't shoot groups on paper now.

I still call bs on all of these .1 .2 .3" hunting weight rifles. Is it possible all the stars in the solar system aligned and you jerked the trigger exactly the same every time to produce one 0.1" group yes. Claiming to own a hunting weight rifle that truthfully averages .1 .2 .3" is 100% bs.
I'll make you a deal. Come out to my house on your own dime and shoot one of my three rifles that are all hunting rifles that shoot in the .2 -.3's. If I can't shoot several of those groups I'll pay for your round trip. Welcome to stay at my house, swap stories, and my wife is a fantastic cook and I have up to 1400 yards we can shoot for fun.

I'll make you a deal. Come out to my house on your own dime and shoot one of my three rifles that are all hunting rifles that shoot in the .2 -.3's. If I can't shoot several of those groups I'll pay for your round trip. Welcome to stay at my house, swap stories, and my wife is a fantastic cook and I have up to 1400 yards we can shoot for fun.
Where are you located? I'm sw wisconsin

World record, just kidding, load development.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 57
That is one heck of a load, GSRetrievers!!!!
That's a 1gn difference, heck of a node I would say. I've got a few more targets that look like those and one at 800 yard that's about an inch. I don't shoot groups usually just on rare occasion for laughs. No competition shooting here, all fun, but this is from that gun I posted shooting that coyote before it got rebarreled to a 260ai that shoots just as good.

I am laid off for the winter so outside of my kids sporting events I would gladly take you up on your offer. That is if you feel you can place 30rnds within .3" poa to make it worth our time.

Recent Posts