Custom actions, are they worth it?

There's a difference for sure. Is it worth the price just for accuracy? Probably not but it just depends on what you want. If you plan on buying a 700 action to send to Karl Feldkamp or LRI to have him blueprint, true it, fix PE, add a m16 extractor, add a 20moa rail that he beds because the receiver is not square up top for scope mounting, and then also add a new recoil lug, then a custom action is definitely worth it. Ask me how I know. I've paid to have all that work done and it's WAY in excess of what I can buy an Origin, a Kelbly Atlas Tactical, A Tenacity, and a number of other custom actions for.

Is a custom worth more from an accuracy standpoint if you just screw a prefit barrel on it as opposed to screwing a Remage or Savage Barrel nut prefit on? Maybe, and maybe not, but for me it is.

It's not just about accuracy for me, it's also about reliability. It's more about the entire package. A good Smith loves it when you show up with a 700 and ask him to go through it, $ in the bank. They also love it when you show up with a custom, $ in the bank as well. I've got 700's, Savages, Brownings, also. I like all of them, and they all have their place, but I don't kid myself either.

To each their own. Cheers all!

Last edited:
. Claiming to own a hunting weight rifle that truthfully averages .1 .2 .3" is 100% bs.
Nah, they exist. I wont claim my 300 PRC will do .1 or .2, but I have never had day it wouldn't shoot in the .3's. I have built many others, one recent example is a 28 Nosler, it is a constant .3, and has no trouble getting in the .2's at times. The only time I shot it was to function test it after building it, the first three random picked loads went in .4", the owner had nearly zero effort in developing his load to shoot better.

Now, lets put gas on this fire. My 300 PRC is built on a Rem 700 action, the 28 is built on a custom, all other components are the same brand and model, barrel, stock, trigger etc. the 28 consistently shoots a little better. Is it the custom action, the particular barrel, the ammo, or god forbid im not as good as a shot as the owner😂

8.5 lb hunting rifles will shoot groups in the .375 range and often smaller, we shoot variable scopes on the higher end that we hunt with

If you are truly interested in the pursuit of extreme accuracy with your hand loads/gun tweaks, then ask questions.

Discussing different ways of doing things on this board is rarely ever a Personal Attack. There are a lot of people with varied backgrounds who can help out, not to mention a host of good gunsmiths.

Tuning your rifles/ammo becomes a hobby within a hobby.

I still call bs on all of these .1 .2 .3" hunting weight rifles. Is it possible all the stars in the solar system aligned and you jerked the trigger exactly the same every time to produce one 0.1" group yes. Claiming to own a hunting weight rifle that truthfully averages .1 .2 .3" is 100% bs.
"I'll be your Huckleberry". I have a 6.5X47 that is a consistent .3 and sometimes a .2 shooter. It sports a Bartlein REM Varmit/Sendero contour barrel.

I would bet not one person could shoot 10 3 shot (for statistical significance) 0.3" from point of AIM groups on a single target with a carry weight hunting rifle. This is at 100yrds and using an accurate target evaluation program.

I will gladly eat crow if someone can prove me wrong on this.

I have a brux 6 dasher that would come close but truth be told it would not average .3". This is not a rifle I would carry very far.

I still call bs on all of these .1 .2 .3" hunting weight rifles. Is it possible all the stars in the solar system aligned and you jerked the trigger exactly the same every time to produce one 0.1" group yes. Claiming to own a hunting weight rifle that truthfully averages .1 .2 .3" is 100% bs.
3 shot groups and cherry picking helps. It should be noted that
Groups in the .1's and .2's would be very competitive in competition where guys are shooting highly specialized rifles.

I would bet not one person could shoot 10 3 shot (for statistical significance) 0.3" from point of AIM groups on a single target with a carry weight hunting rifle. This is at 100yrds and using an accurate target evaluation program.

I will gladly eat crow if someone can prove me wrong on this.

I have a brux 6 dasher that would come close but truth be told it would not average .3". This is not a rifle I would carry very far.
Your carry weight and mine might be a little different, being I carry mine to the truck then carry it 100yds to the stand overlooking a bean field in NC. Would I want to lug it all over the country, no, but for my hunting, it is carry weight and will consistently shoot well.

i use 10-12lb rifles for most everything steel, animal, paper etc.
I won't average .3 or less inside of 300yds, nor do i try.
.5 is plenty good for me as a maximum though.
no ribbons, prizes or ceramic trophies for Me!
Shilen #6's, Rem Varmint type contours are plenty. But i'm a flat lander.

For reference. The 100 yd benchrest record (5shots) that stood for 40 years was .09. So if your rifle is really capable of shooting .1 groups. Thats 10 thousands off a record that stood for 40 years and .023 off the current record.

For reference. The 100 yd benchrest record (5shots) that stood for 40 years was .09. So if your rifle is really capable of shooting .1 groups. Thats 10 thousands off a record that stood for 40 years and .023 off the current record.
It's a good thing LRH members don't compete with their hunting rifles, they would shatter those measly records🫢

And the world record with 5 rds is .0077 at 100 yds

i use 10-12lb rifles for most everything steel, animal, paper etc.
I won't average .3 or less inside of 300yds, nor do i try.
.5 is plenty good for me as a maximum though.
no ribbons, prizes or ceramic trophies for Me!
Shilen #6's, Rem Varmint type contours are plenty. But i'm a flat lander.

Wind is a heck of a thing, eh Phil? One range I shoot at has a predominant wind coming in my face from 10 o'clock to 5 o'clock, switching to 8 o'clock, and it simply wreaks havoc on groups. Another range is just a headwind, producing an in-your-face wind.

The next range has the best wind conditions I have ever shot in, calms, with winds coming over my right shoulder to 10 o'clock as a rule.

I shoot anything from Rem Sporter contours to Max Heavy Varmint on tree stand rifles with a #5 contour being my favorite, no fluting, and no carbon-wrapped barrels.

With the nephews, we put out a bank of 10 of the 1 3/4" MINI clay pigeons at 300 yards, they run them with no misses, then shoot the pieces if the Wind is not howling. They learn to feel the wind and watch the effect, learning to hold off. Muzzle breaks are a given to see hits. These young men have become very accomplished shooters, and their sister also, where she shot a monster trophy Kansas buck at 470 yards with a Rem model 7 loaded with 140g Berger VLD Hunting bullets. These kids grew up shooting right out of their dad's garage where he reloads on the spot.

when did this become a discussion/distraction about bench-rest shooting and world records? First shot and follow-up shot for hunting are all that matter after load development is done. If I can put a cold bore shot and a follow-up into about .25 when final tuning then I'm happy. Something like this.

IMG_1333.jpeg

Recent Posts