Compact stove advice

My son and I just returned from and elk hunting in southern Colorado. He used a jet boil that worked great but needed a lighter to start it at 10 to 11000 ft.
Mine was an amicus cookset combo for $50 at REI. Small footprint but still works great.

Attachments

• 20241014_163452.jpg
    20241014_163452.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 5
Truck camping I use one of Coleman's single burner stoves that uses the fat bottle as it's base. That makes it top heavy, so I built a short base for it using the easily available fittings for those disposable propane bottles and a short hose to connect the bottle. Because I'm usually cooking on a tail-gate I put the magnet from a friend's dead sub-woofer in the base.

My wife got me a Jetboil when they first came out. I used it once and went back to the Coleman. I consider a lighter to be an essential item and have them scattered all over every vehicle. Someone in the back-packer world makes a really nice piezo lighter. I have one in one of the vehicles, but the rest are just Bics or similar.

I know he's not everyone's favorite guy but he does use a lot of gear and there is some merit in this video. I gave the MSR Pocket Rocket and the titanium cup a try this fall and my only complaint is they don't lock together like the Jet Boils and the MSR Reactor. Otherwise, it's a great lightweight set up; I'm always in wet or snowy environments so I always have at least 2 lighters on me so that's never been an issue.

Last edited:
I have at least a dozen different styles & types. Micro size to the two-burner liquid fuel Coleman.
Each has a specific use for which it is best.
Forced to have only one, I would go with a liquid fuel, detachable canister, single burner type.

MSR Pocket Rocket - not sure which version though - and whatever Aluminum cup that came with it. I'm not cooking with it, only boiling, so it works fine.