Looking for advice for hunting clothes/ layering

Highvoltage

I'm looking to upgrade some of my older gear. I mainly hunt deer in the East temps 40-15 mainly. I've hunted west for elk and deer in Saskatchewan so I have a large variety. My go to is a scent lok thundertek, which is an insulated heavy parka with a zip out liner, the pants are uninsulated (windproof waterproof) . My complaint is how heavy the coat is. My layerings start with a merino 150 base, 250 base, browning hells canyon primaloft jacket then the outer shell of this scent lok. It's not warm enough for all day sits and with the liner you can't bend your elbow to draw a bow and it's extremely heavy. Can you guys recommend a layering system or else a liner/ down Packable that I could wear over the wool base layers? Mainly looking to lighten my gear. Any suggestions would be great

I went out to Idaho for elk this fall, but I also hunt white tail in Michigan. I had the same problem with my day sits ,so I called Sitkagear.com and the helped me revamp my entire camo lineup. Totally worth it, elk hunting was just the way I wanted it with no extra gear. Michigan was great with a more efficient layering system. I had way too many layers on before, looking like the Michelin man. Bulky as well.

I actually called them Friday and left a message hopefully they get back to me. I walk too far up and down mountains with a climber for most of my hunts so I'm testing the waters in some new gear this year.

Cold weather requires more layering which is, naturally, more weight.
My insulating clothes are i two categories.

TRAVEL CLOTHING: When traveling your sweat, even with slow travel. Packs are heavy, scoped and singed rifles are "heavy" (i.e., add weight) even if they are mountain rifles.
So you need synthetic clothing for both mid and outer layers. I prefer Climashield but your Browning Primaloft jacket is good for a mid layer.

STAND CLOTHING: Now you need more loft (thickness) in your insulating layers so down is your friend. I prefer DWR treated water resistant down B/C it collects less moisture. When on a stand you want to remain motionless when possible and not be a shivering mass of protoplasm. This requires insulation and his calorie snacks - and water.

As you have discovered your outer wind/rain GTX parka needs to be large enough to comfortably cover a down insulating layer without compressing it or binding your arm movement.

The Traveling Clothing insulating layers like fleece or fibers like Climashield should be replaced with loftier down clothing whenever possible for Stand use.

When winter ski camping at camp I remove my synthetic insulating layer and outer WPB parka and put on my -30 F. down parka. Sounds like overkill but sitting around cooking, chatting, etc. makes that parka worth its weight in gold. Plus it's great when sleeping to have it zipped up and slid over the foot of my -20 F. sleeping bag.

Eric B.

Get you some First Lite upper base layers in merino and some KUIU zip off bottoms

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.