Compact stove advice

My son and I just returned from and elk hunting in southern Colorado. He used a jet boil that worked great but needed a lighter to start it at 10 to 11000 ft.
Mine was an amicus cookset combo for $50 at REI. Small footprint but still works great.

Attachments

• 20241014_163452.jpg
    20241014_163452.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 8
Truck camping I use one of Coleman's single burner stoves that uses the fat bottle as it's base. That makes it top heavy, so I built a short base for it using the easily available fittings for those disposable propane bottles and a short hose to connect the bottle. Because I'm usually cooking on a tail-gate I put the magnet from a friend's dead sub-woofer in the base.

My wife got me a Jetboil when they first came out. I used it once and went back to the Coleman. I consider a lighter to be an essential item and have them scattered all over every vehicle. Someone in the back-packer world makes a really nice piezo lighter. I have one in one of the vehicles, but the rest are just Bics or similar.

I know he's not everyone's favorite guy but he does use a lot of gear and there is some merit in this video. I gave the MSR Pocket Rocket and the titanium cup a try this fall and my only complaint is they don't lock together like the Jet Boils and the MSR Reactor. Otherwise, it's a great lightweight set up; I'm always in wet or snowy environments so I always have at least 2 lighters on me so that's never been an issue.

Last edited:
I have at least a dozen different styles & types. Micro size to the two-burner liquid fuel Coleman.
Each has a specific use for which it is best.
Forced to have only one, I would go with a liquid fuel, detachable canister, single burner type.

MSR Pocket Rocket - not sure which version though - and whatever Aluminum cup that came with it. I'm not cooking with it, only boiling, so it works fine.

Hard to go wrong, honestly. Jetboil or MSR Reactor for me, just like the simplicity, the Jetboil has seen the most action. I only boil water when backpacking, so it works great. Sturdy, everything fits inside, works as a bowl or a cup, my long handle Ti spoon fits in the neoprene sleeve, piezo lighter. Could I shave a few grams with something else? I don't really care. It would be less than the weight of one round of ammo if I did and I don't want a stove that will fail. Pocket rockets work great too, used one extensively in the past before the heat exchanger type systems came into play.

I have used the Jetboil on quite a few backpacking trips and float trips and have never had an issue. We took on for four guys on a six day float trip in Alaska a few years back and it worked flawlessly. I don't have any experience with any other kind because I never needed to. Good Luck with your choice.