Carbon Fiber Barrel Accuracy

Rifles falling out of trucks and off horses and tree stands. Someone needs to a bit more careful .
Even then when careful things can happen ! I had a 270 in a 760 hanging from a hook about 16 feet high and the sling swivel came unhooked and the gun fell to the ground barrel first, but it was at a slight angle and the barrel caught a laurel limb and then the stock hit the ground ! The laurel bush held the barrel up off the ground and the stocks butt plate had the only visible damage ! The front sling pin that goes trough the swivel unscrewed and let it come apart! It wasn't the kind that I have now that is spring loaded ! The gun was still on after the fall, the scope may have touched some of the limbs but no visible damage ! I have a habit now of always checking to make sure they are screwed tight ! Could have been a lot worse ! My brother was walking down a logging road and slipped on some ice and fell slamming his new Swarovski scope into the hard water ! Dinged it up pretty good, took it to a local gunsmith and had it checked out and shot in their indoor range, don't remember if it was off any or not but it was still in good working order ! I have also heard others stories of them riding their rifles down a mountain, if your in the woods all your life you are bound to fall at some point in time ! Having great equipment lessens the pain !

Even then when careful things can happen ! I had a 270 in a 760 hanging from a hook about 16 feet high and the sling swivel came unhooked and the gun fell to the ground barrel first, but it was at a slight angle and the barrel caught a laurel limb and then the stock hit the ground ! The laurel bush held the barrel up off the ground and the stocks butt plate had the only visible damage ! The front sling pin that goes trough the swivel unscrewed and let it come apart! It wasn't the kind that I have now that is spring loaded ! The gun was still on after the fall, the scope may have touched some of the limbs but no visible damage ! I have a habit now of always checking to make sure they are screwed tight ! Could have been a lot worse ! My brother was walking down a logging road and slipped on some ice and fell slamming his new Swarovski scope into the hard water ! Dinged it up pretty good, took it to a local gunsmith and had it checked out and shot in their indoor range, don't remember if it was off any or not but it was still in good working order ! I have also heard others stories of them riding their rifles down a mountain, if your in the woods all your life you are bound to fall at some point in time ! Having great equipment lessens the pain !

I've used mine rifle buttstock as a rudder/ice axe sliding down a snow slide chute before.
I've had my horse slip on the ice on a sidehill and fall on my rifle
I've gone *** over tea kettle down a mountainside in Wyoming with the rifle going airborne and landing in tree hanging by the sling on a branch
S—t happens
All of these the rifle still performed as needed

This is what I am seeing with mine. I ran out yesterday after work and shot these groups to show what is typical for mine coming in and out of a node. it never shoots worse than the two outside ones but rarely better than the middle one no matter what powder or bullet or seating depth. I was expecting a little better. mine has printed groups like yours when less than a hundred rounds through it but never again. my son has a proof and does what yours does. these groups are 220 yards. im considering spinning on a proof although for what im doing I don't need the accuracy, but.... you know how it is...View attachment 119371

What other powders have you tried?

Thanks for sharing this ! I feel what was shown would be more of a punishment than a hunter would probably ever give it ! It should even survive a fall out of a tree ! Thanks again this answered my question !

It's pretty amazing isn't it? I'm not sure how a number 2 contour would have fared given the same treatment.

I've used mine rifle buttstock as a rudder/ice axe sliding down a snow slide chute before.
I've had my horse slip on the ice on a sidehill and fall on my rifle
I've gone --- over tea kettle down a mountainside in Wyoming with the rifle going airborne and landing in tree hanging by the sling on a branch
S—t happens
All of these the rifle still performed as needed
You lucked out having that sling catch too ! It happens, sometimes the results are deadly though when the firearm discharges and strikes someone ! That happens too, but I thank God that no one in my family ever had an accidental discharge ! Would scare a person stiff even if no one was hit ! As said earlier we have to be as safe as possible while handling firearms and archery equipment ! I always keep both hands on my firearm when going down a hill if possible, going up hill I usually have the sling over my shoulder ! I have slipped on small limbs laying on the ground just under the snow, my foot slid down the length of it and around and down I went ! Laying on the ground I realized that I was holding my Remington 700 tightly and safely with both hands ! I was pleased to know that my instincts of safely securing my rifle in a fall kicked in ! I have done the same thing coming down hills holding my rifle with two hands and slipping and letting my body take the punishment to protect and keep the rifle safely above ! If it is real steep I put the sling over one shoulder and try to dig my feet in and hold on to something with one hand as I come down the hill ! I have unloaded my rifle already thinking I was going to be sliding part way down a hill ! We can never be too careful with weapons !

It's pretty amazing isn't it? I'm not sure how a number 2 contour would have fared given the same treatment.
I wouldn't even trust a steel barrel after that ! I don't know how much it would take to bend a heavy steel barrel enough to ruin it ! That would be something to test with barrels that were still shooting half decent when replaced, see what one will take the most stress !

I wouldn't even trust a steel barrel after that ! I don't know how much it would take to bend a heavy steel barrel enough to ruin it ! That would be something to test with barrels that were still shooting half decent when replaced, see what one will take the most stress !

I know that having a horse slip and fall against a tree will bend a Ruger M77 barrel in the scabbard!

What other powders have you tried?
retumbo, h1000, h4831, rl26 and 7828. all same one way or another. h1000 is hard to beat but h4831 most consistant. don't get me wrong- its ok, but.... seen better. I may have just drawn a short straw this time or maybe my expectations are high; seems like most everyone else barrels are shooting though, I may just have a picky one.

Last edited:
retumbo, h1000, h4831, rl26 and 7828. all same one way or another. h1000 is hard to beat but h4831 most consistant. don't get me wrong- its ok, but.... seen better. I may have just drawn a short straw this time or maybe my expectations are high; seems like most everyone else barrels are shooting though, I may just have a picky one.

What's your case prep like? Are you sorting your cases? I've noticed around a 10 grain weight variance in once fired Hornady brass from different boxes of factory ammunition.

I guess the next question is, when you're being honest with yourself, are you capable of shooting less than 1" 4 shot groups at 200 yards consistently?

Last edited:
What's your case prep like? Are you sorting your cases? I've noticed around a 10 grain weight variance in once fired Hornady brass from different boxes of factory ammunition.

I guess the next question is, when you're being honest with yourself, are you capable of shooting less than 1" 4 shot groups at 200 yards consistently?
case preps a little sloppy as I don't sort brass. i have other rifles that i can shoot bughole groups repeatable at 200 yards with same brass prep. in this case, im talking sand bags and rear bag, this particular barrel will shoot 1.25 inch at 220 yards and no better. but.... it did before about 200 rounds. ive never experienced this before. im ok with it but thought it was worth discussing. this is what it used to do...
IMG_1724.jpg

this is what it did today.
IMG_1740.jpg

Last edited:
case preps a little sloppy as I don't sort brass. i have other rifles that i can shoot bughole groups repeatable at 200 yards with same brass prep. in this case, im talking sand bags and rear bag, this particular barrel will shoot 1.25 inch at 220 yards and no better. but.... it did before about 200 rounds. ive never experienced this before. im ok with it but thought it was worth discussing. this is what it used to do...View attachment 119712

What kind of stock do you have it sitting in?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.