Carbon Fiber Barrel Accuracy

mountaincarver

For those that have a carbon fiber barrel, I would like to hear some feedback on what you think. do they hold their accuracy as round count goes up. are you chasing nodes all the time? are they just the best shooters you've had? Ive heard some goods and bads from people who do not own them. ive seen some shoot the same groups as powder is adjusted with little result in size. what are you guys seeing?

20190105_152309.jpg
3 shot group from my 26 inch Proof Sendero 8.24 twist. I use them because they are light and last longer due to better heat dissipation. They break in fast and are easy to load for and of course the obviously shoot great. I own 3 of them.

I won't use anything else. The stiffness of a heavy barrel without the weight. I have found the nodes to be wide in the barrels I have and easy to tune to one hole. Come to think of it, I do t know that I have ever had anything go over .75 MOA in any rifle I have them on. Meaning, during load development I have started really good and ended up outstanding with very little work.

I have 2 rifles with Proof barrels. Both are legitimate .2 MOA rifles. .280AI & 6CM. When/if I rebarrel a couple of my other moderate weight rifles in the future, they will get carbon barrels too. 7RM & 6.5SS. My two heavyweights will stay with steel.

I have also shot about 16 others. 14 Proof, and 2 Hells Canyon barrels. All were tack drivers. Plus 8 Christensen Arms Ridgelines. All but one shot very well.

I like my proof but it's still early. If I wanted all out accuracy bar none I would have a heavy taper steel barrel. But I want to lug my rifle around and they are great for that. I have seen fantastic results from carbon wrapped barrels and know I can't out shoot them

I have one on my AR-10 in 6.5cm and out to 875yds it's been scarily accurate and repeatable. Not a really high round count yet though.

I have an ARC Nucleus being built with one in 6.5 PRC, but have yet to get her to shoot it.

i have a 24" proof and i love it. i wanted the ability to run a can combined with the weight savings over a thinner barrel.

I have both Proof and Christensen carbon barrels right now. After seeing how accurate the Christensen barrel is I bought a rifle with a Proof barrel, I'm not sure if I'll buy another steel barrel but I know I'll buy another Proof carbon. I'm already planing my next build.

I currently have 3 proof barrels in 6.5 SAUM, 7 SAUM, and 300 WSM. I also had one in a 338 Lapua. I haven't had any problems at all with mine. They shoot just as well as a high end steel barrel based on my experience (all easily under 1/2 MOA). Now one thing to keep in mind is that most people that are using Proof Carbon barrels are using them on hunting rifles, which TYPICALLY means lighter rifles, with larger (possibly magnum) cartridges. For example... I personally cannot shoot my 8.5 lb. 300 WSM (with a carbon barrel) as well as I can my 16 lb. 6XC target rifle (with a heavy steel barrel). They both shoot very well, but it's just harder to shoot a lightweight, magnum rifle than a heavy weight target cartridge.

The other thing Carbon barrels excel at is using them with suppressors, especially suppressed hunting rifles. If you are trying to keep the weight down with a steel barrel you have to use a thin barrel, which then flexes more when you add the weight of a suppressor, which can make a significant POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed shooting. With the stiffer, lighter carbon barrels this POI shift is much less. Also - It can be a challenge to have enough mounting surface on a thin barrel to add a suppressor, so you end up threading the muzzle with non-standard threads like 1/2" or 9/16" diameters. With a carbon wrapped barrel there is always enough steel at the muzzle to support a standard 5/8x24 thread pitch for your suppressor.

Bought a stock Christensen and impressed enough to do my last custom build with a proof and same deal. Getting older and tired of lugging around 10-12 rifles. So far as good and better accuracy and lighter weight. As far as the heat dissipation etc argument I could care less as long as it shoots and comfortable to carry. Not to mention weather benefits. Would do another without hesitation.

My experience has been the same as the rest. 24" proof in 6.5 saum and shoots .3-.4 5 shot groups. Just like a mtu taper steel barrel, but without the weight. I have about 375 rounds through mine and using the same load I started with.

I love the balance of carbon barrels on a long range carry rifle. I now have three Proofs and four Christensens. All of them print 1/2 MOA or better.

When my Krieger barreled 300 RUM goes TU, I have a Christensen 9 twist blank ready to put in it's place.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.