Brake for Lightweight 338 Lapua Improved

surgeon260

I need some expert opinions on what brake to choose for a new rifle. I am building a hunting-weight 338 Lapua Improved, hoping to push 300 Bergers around 2900 fps (N570, 26" barrel). The rifle should be right around 12 lbs ready to hunt, maybe a little less. I am definitely thinking about the recoil of this setup. I currently have a heavy Lapua Improved I built for stationary shooting - it weighs in at around 24 lbs. I shoot the heavy rifle almost exclusively with a TBAC 338 Ultra suppressor. It is a joy to shoot with the can, but I think the weight is a big factor in keeping the recoil manageable.

The two brakes I am considering are the following:

-TBAC 338BA: modest sized two port brake for the sole reason of allowing me to use my suppressor
-Terminator T3: one of the very best Lapua brakes on the market and a proven recoil killer

I definitely prefer cans over brakes, and I would LOVE to be able to use my suppressor on this new rifle. I hate the concussion of brakes. However, I am concerned about recoil. Even my heavy rifle with the can still maintains pretty significant recoil energy, and my shoulder feels it after a long bench session.

So, which brake would you go with? Is it reasonable to shoot a lightweight 338 with a can, or should I abandon that notion and just go for maximum recoil reduction with the Terminator?

Appreciate any advice you have.

My 338 NMI is very close to the weight of your rifle goal. I shoot 300 OTM at 2920 in a 28" barrel.

I don't have a .338 specific can so I use my SiCo Hybrid 46. Not as much volume as a big 338 can but I can't justify the cost for a single rifle that is used solely for hunting.

I shoot mine primarily braked with a SRS Ti Pro 5 brake at .990" diameter. It makes it tolerable but after about 30 shots it still becomes not as pleasant to shoot.

The can will be fine for hunting purposes and MUCH nicer to deal with, aside from the weight. It will kick more than a braked rifle will, but the lack of concussion is worth a bit more recoil in a hunting situation. You're not there for a long range session; you're there for a shot or two and a lot of hiking.

I agree 1000% that the can will be nicer to deal with, I am just concerned about 416 Rigby levels of recoil. Load development won't be fun!

I agree 1000% that the can will be nicer to deal with, I am just concerned about 416 Rigby levels of recoil. Load development won't be fun!
So run a brake for load development, swap to a can and verify load hasn't changed, then carry the can. I've seen POI changes between a can and a brake but not massive group size changes.