Best Hunting Caliber that Fits a Short Action??

Or you could get over the "short action sillyness" and go 280 or 280AI and have a 7mm SAUM with an extra round. Tikka's get recommended although they are not a short action. If length is not an issue the 6.5 Weatherby is the same head size as a 6.5 Creed but with .264 Win capacity although brass is an issue.

Or you could get over the "short action sillyness" and go 280 or 280AI and have a 7mm SAUM with an extra round. Tikka's get recommended although they are not a short action. If length is not an issue the 6.5 Weatherby is the same head size as a 6.5 Creed but with .264 Win capacity although brass is an issue.
Well, if you're going to go for broke, why not the 6.71 Lazzeroni Blackbird? I have one, built on a Winchester M70 Laredo that was originally in 7mm Rem Mag. It puts a 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at a chrono'd 3,970 ft/sec out of a 26" Lilja barrel... yes I had the BOSS brake re-installed on the Lilja barrel. I built it for coyotes and the one mistake was to spec a 1:12" twist so it likely tops out at 120 grains.

I mean, if you want velocity and don't care about barrel life....