bought a nightforce but got a bushnell

That is not what they are saying happened here at all. The expensive scope was " paid for " by the customer but the cheap Bushnell scope ended up in the expensive scopes box and in the customers hands . I don't think anyone would con a salesman like that and loose $1700 to do it .
Can you see a wife buying a special coming home gift for her Veteran husband
and pulling any kind of rorte that could come undone and cast a big shadow and embarrassment on his home coming . No , I just can't see that happening .
Coming home from war is an emotional thing and I just can't see they would want to blemish that .

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it might not have been the counter sales man it might have been a customer that switched the NF to the Bushnell box and the Bushnell to the nightforce box and bought the NF in the bushy box. This happens all the time in stores like Walmart, cabelas, basspro sears and so on.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it might not have been the counter sales man it might have been a customer that switched the NF to the Bushnell box and the Bushnell to the nightforce box and bought the NF in the bushy box. This happens all the time in stores like Walmart, cabelas, basspro sears and so on.

Ok I get you now , but I can't see a Nightforce fitting into a Bushnell box. The Nightforce would be much longer but I guess it is possible.
Either way it would still be the stores fault for not checking an " opened box " if that was the case. Hell the switch could have happened at Nightforce and the box never opened after manufacturers packing .
Still the store sold it and it is up to them to chase it back along the chain .
We are all giving Cabela's the benefit of the doubt but the circumstances sure make me think that the switch happened in the store . If the lady had been with a man I bet it would not have happened at that time .
They picked their mark .

Which is why, Number 1 always keep the receipt, gift or no gift. Paper trails are everything, the old she said thar you said that I said don't cut it..... period.

Two... Cabelas and ALL the online and box store outfitters are upstanding but none of them is going to give anyone a 1800 dollar scope and take back a 100 dollar scope because someone 'said' that it was misboxed. NO ONE WILL DO THAT.

All the big outfitters, when getting an online order or phone in, run all the store's inventories and ship from the store that has the most of that item. Thats inventory control.

Just had that happen on a Camo jacket from Cabelas. I even got the hanger so I know it came off the rack, in a store and not out of the Sidney distribution center.

Which is why, Number 1 always keep the receipt, gift or no gift. Paper trails are everything, the old she said thar you said that I said don't cut it..... period.

Two... Cabelas and ALL the online and box store outfitters are upstanding but none of them is going to give anyone a 1800 dollar scope and take back a 100 dollar scope because someone 'said' that it was misboxed. NO ONE WILL DO THAT.

Exactly, this is why I feel they need to contact upper managment or if possible an owner of Cabela's. This is a freak out of the ordinary situation and from here it needs to go to a personal level if you can get there. It will be up to that upper managment person to do what ever investigation they can and talk to the customer. Then decide if they believe the story. If they do believe the story, Cabela's is plenty strong enough to eat an $1800 scope.

The the floor manager that has to account for this loss is not likely to do it.lightbulb

Like I said, be patient, write letters, call, e-mail or what ever. Be professional, courteous and persistant and document all conversations with dates and names in case it is needed later. But don't come off like a jerk, threaten with childish boycots or such. That will only make the customer look like the kind of person that would be pulling a dishonest stunt.

Jeff

I agree , you should always start out nice and give them every opportunity to do the right thing if you complaint is genuine.
However it don't always work , some scum bags see " nice " as " weak ".
A lot hinges on whether management will just take what the store says as gospel .
What worries me is , if the Bushnell scope was not stolen from inventory it will not show up as missing from stock.
In that case the store manager may believe the salesman as there may be little evidence of the switch .
The only saving grace is that it is possible that the store manager has suspicions about certain staff anyway and this could confirm that. Lets hope it does.

Yes you are right some people see nice as weak and the end result is someone being pushed over . I like what broz has said "take names and dates" go to the manager first dont jump over him give him a chance then go further run out every road . Then if you have any kind of evidence and no scope asssuming you know without a doubt that this has happened . Go get a Lawyer !!!!!!!! but be prepaired cuz they will promise you the moon and $1000 later you still may be without a scope.

Way back when I had an issue with 4 boxes of PPU, .338 Lapua I bought from Cabelas in Dundee, Michigan (I live 2 miles from the store BTW). Cabelas policy is no ammo returns period.

There are always exceptions to that period, period. I had 3 duds from the first box of 20, not acceptable in my book so I called the store, then talked to the store manager, then to Sidney, Nebraska, customer service and finally to the head of customer service and finally a full refund from the importers of PPU ammunition, TZ Importers, they even refunded my sales tax. I still have/had the rounds. I pulled the bullets, dumped the good vitavouri powder (was quite a bit, 91 grains per cartridge), popped the primers and tossed the brass in my reloading can.

I won't buy anymore PPU, ever.

Took about 4 months start to finish but Cabelas did stand being the product and forced (coerced) the distributor into refunding my money.

Must have been my black Cabelas card......:D

I could have assassinated them on the Internet but I didn't.

PPU is junk no matter where you buy it.

They didn't want it back, in fact, I was told to donate it to the local LE's. Just what they need, duds.

Cabelas said that none of there employess would cheat a customer like that because they all have to have background checks. What do you think about that.

Cabelas said that none of there employess would cheat a customer like that because they all have to have background checks. What do you think about that.

HAHAHAHA!! that is the best line that I have ever heard in my life. There are Federal Law Enforcement Officers who have gone through a way more extensive background than ANYONE at Cabelas and get busted doing some pretty bad stuff.

I would demand to go higher than whatever genius you talked to for that phone call! I would be nice about it though.

Although, as the facts were presented, they are under no obligation to absorb the loss, that was an unwise thing to say. Background checks only reveal those who have been caught. Any business person who believes he's not being stolen from is simply naive. That said, I cannot imagine any retailer handing over a $1800 item without anything more to go on than a story. But I've been wrong before...

Just curious, did the salesperson not open the box and reveal the contents to your friends wife at the time of purchase? Actually, going higher up with a complaint is always a good strategy. Corporate folk are absolutely petrified of getting their hands dirty or sticking their necks out for anything that can quickly be resolved by refunding a purchase or exchanging an item.

Personally, I'd be looking pretty closely at other members of the household, co-workers if she took it to work to show it off and left it there, neighbors/friends with a key or simply assess to the scope, domestic help or anyone else who had knowledge & access. Was there a party? Heavy emphasis on anyone who knew she got it and then knew where it was kept. Yeah, and the salesman too.

It does not surprise me at all and I kind of knew that would happen .
The Police all have background checks and the Prison service and the Customs service should I go on . Have we stopped all dishonesty and corruption in those services ? I sure as hell know that we over here have not .
A criminal with a clean sheet is just a crim that has not been caught yet.
That is just the management not wanting to admit to the world that such a thing could happen at Cabala's . If they investigate they will have to admit that and by replacing the scope they admit that. So they hang the customer out to dry to save their face but may infact quietly fire the person or persons they think is involved . I have seen this kind of sick thinking time and time again in corporations.
If the victims are totally innocent of any attempt to rip off Cabela's then they need to take it to a consumer affairs type adjudication process not sure what it is called in the US . That usually puts public pressure on them to settle. Go to the local news paper and ask them for support . They should be only too happy to print a negative story about a gun shop ripping off a returned serviceman.

Lets turn the scenario around 180 degrees.

Would you be trying to return the scope if you ordered a Bushnell and got a Nightforce by mistake?

I think I know the answer.

Irrelevant ?

Obviously you need to rethink your reply.

The solution to the issue is in practicing due dilligence and persistence.

I injected my comment to get you to think about the course of action. P& Moaning isn't going to alleviate the issue.

and....it may come to resolve or it may be a Bushnell.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.