Help!! Bought a stolen gun!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

Background: I sold a rifle on the forum. I wanted to get some more rifles to my inventory and pay off some college bills. Transaction went excellent, as always on this forum. I had the extra cash and went to my go to gun shop. I bought a ruger 10/22 that was in MINT condition right off the rack for 250 bucks. I bought this rifle two weeks ago, did the FFL background check, and was off on my merry way. I was trying to get parts for it and turn it into a full custom.

Today JAN27: I received a call today while I was in class from a local detective saying that I purchased a stolen firearm from my shop. I called him back immediately and I was told that I have to turn in the rifle tomorrow. He was very helpful and understanding but he said the law is the law and the original owner is the rightful owner. He said the turn around on the rifle was so quick that it didn't turn up stolen when my shop did the back ground check. Luckily these dumb@$$ clowns put all their info down when they sold the rifle to the shop, so they are now in police custody.

Question: My question is what do I do? I am literally the odd man out. The pawn shop legally doesn't owe me anything, the irresponsible gun owner who left his rifle in his unlocked truck doesn't owe me anything, and these clowns who probably bought Missouri meth with it sure as hell aren't paying me back. What do I do? I am so ****ed, like blood boiling, ****ed. They messed with my rights, my time, my money, my hobby, my protection, my tool to put food on the table all in one swoop. Any advice? Any words of encouragement to talk me off a cliff?

Side note the detective wont release their names out of protection for the suspects. Lucky for them I respect the law. ;)

The original owner is only entitled to the parts he lost. So strip everything off of it that is yours and give back whatever is left.

The PD should not be making two victims out of one crime.

If it were me, that is what I would do, and I would also put the old parts back onto the gun.

the gun was sold by the pawn shop, regardless of what they say, they are responsible for selling a stolen firearm.

Seems to me that the pawn shop bears some of the responsibility in this.

I'm quite certain that they are required by law to check on guns sold/pawned to them the ensure that they aren't stolen.

Regardless, I'm sorry for your ordeal.

My guess is that the Police Dept took its time inputting the serial numbers into the system.

Also, I must agree that the Pawn shop should pay.

"I am so ****ed, like blood boiling, ****ed. They messed with my rights, my time, my money, my hobby, my protection, my tool to put food on the table all in one swoop. Any advice? Any words of encouragement to talk me off a cliff?"

Do you think you may be getting a little carried away? "Food on the table"?? :D

:D
"I am so ****ed, like blood boiling, ****ed. They messed with my rights, my time, my money, my hobby, my protection, my tool to put food on the table all in one swoop. Any advice? Any words of encouragement to talk me off a cliff?"

This is all in good fun what I'm about to say, since your comment did lighten the mood. Mr. Long Islander (Parents were born in LI), I will explain my entire logic in detail...rights are OUR constitutional rights, my time because now I have to deal with cops and the law instead of training and college, my money because I lost $250 of my hard earned money, my hobby bc well do I really have to explain that considering we are all on this forum? my protection since Ill grab whatever is readily available to protect myself and my family, and my tool to put food on the table bc when my parents moved down to Georgia I was raised to eat squirrels and rabbits provided by my .22!! :D

Whether he's talking literally or figuratively, yes he's lost something that could have been used in that capacity.

Maybe if New Yorkers had a little of the passion this gun owner has, they wouldn't have so many crappy gun laws.:D

It's on the pawn shop. I'd go small claims if need be, but until you're officially told no pursue it. Get good reports from police up front, or it's likely to be lost.

Whether he's talking literally or figuratively, yes he's lost something that could have been used in that capacity.

Maybe if New Yorkers had a little of the passion this gun owner has, they wouldn't have so many crappy gun laws.:D

It's on the pawn shop. I'd go small claims if need be, but until you're officially told no pursue it. Get good reports from police up front, or it's likely to be lost.

IF the gun shop are the guys that I think they are then Ill be ok. If they give me some "I need to make a profit, put food on the table, keep a roof over my head" BS...then Ill gladly list them on this site, accurate shooter, FB, whatever to get my $250s worth back. All it takes are two guys not buying from them as a result of my illegitimate business transaction and we'll be even.

Background: I sold a rifle on the forum. I wanted to get some more rifles to my inventory and pay off some college bills. Transaction went excellent, as always on this forum. I had the extra cash and went to my go to gun shop. I bought a ruger 10/22 that was in MINT condition right off the rack for 250 bucks. I bought this rifle two weeks ago, did the FFL background check, and was off on my merry way. I was trying to get parts for it and turn it into a full custom.

Today JAN27: I received a call today while I was in class from a local detective saying that I purchased a stolen firearm from my shop. I called him back immediately and I was told that I have to turn in the rifle tomorrow. He was very helpful and understanding but he said the law is the law and the original owner is the rightful owner. He said the turn around on the rifle was so quick that it didn't turn up stolen when my shop did the back ground check. Luckily these dumb@$$ clowns put all their info down when they sold the rifle to the shop, so they are now in police custody.

Question: My question is what do I do? I am literally the odd man out. The pawn shop legally doesn't owe me anything, the irresponsible gun owner who left his rifle in his unlocked truck doesn't owe me anything, and these clowns who probably bought Missouri meth with it sure as hell aren't paying me back. What do I do? I am so ****ed, like blood boiling, ****ed. They messed with my rights, my time, my money, my hobby, my protection, my tool to put food on the table all in one swoop. Any advice? Any words of encouragement to talk me off a cliff?

Side note the detective wont release their names out of protection for the suspects. Lucky for them I respect the law. ;)

Charge a 30% finders fee. Should be legal.

Also have a local news reporter do some digging in the daily police log to see what he/she can find. Put a lien on the thief's car and get your money back.

They are in the business where they take the risks. Its the nature of the beast.

Your not in that business. By law in most states they are required to turn over stolen items. Its their loss in those situations.

So I can't see how, they can turn around and not only have sold it but made a profit all at your loss. I know my home state they'd have been responsible. Most of our pawnshops were pretty good about hanging onto stuff until it cleared to even include calling if they hadn't heard from our detective who had the pawn shop lists and stolen reports.

That being said I have read where people have posted where the pawn shop has more rights/protections then the victims and any buyer of said item. To include people having to buy their items back, so the pawn shop wasn't out any money. I don't recall which states had the jacked up laws like that. But, I'd bet one of their state politicians had owned a pawn store.

Sharing knowledge is power...the more I have the better. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, these types of businesses play the odds and know most folks will not take legal actions since it envolves time and money for lawyers and etc.. That sucks, but it is the truth.

I hope for your sake you are able to recoup your loss, but expect the worse.

My gun shop called me today. They said that they felt bad about what happened and gave me a store credit for the value of the gun. Good group of guys. I didn't even have to ask them for anything. I guess the situation resolved itself. Thanks for listening to me complain fellas.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.