bought a nightforce but got a bushnell

Since it was a gift, there may have been quite a time between purchase and presenting but there's cameras all over those counters. You'd be able to see if the customer was shown the contents of the box. Also, you have to look at anyone who might have had access after the purchase.

Here's an early prediction... It turns up in a pawn shop or on craigslist. That's why I'd get law enforcement involved unless you want your scope to end up in a police auction.

Looks like he is stuck with the bushnell, Cabelas said there is nothing they can do to help him.

Well there you go , time to marshal the troops in uniform and visit the store .
No mater who did the switch the " STORE " is responsible for all employees and all sales from their shop .
Ripping off a returned War Veteran , this is very bad advertising for Cabelas and I for one will not shop with them anymore , finished.
This would have been an easy thing to check out on sales records alone even if the receipt was lost .
I will try and contact David Abela and draw his attention to this but I can't guarantee I will raise him.
If the forum wants to run an appeal to replace the scope I will send some money.
Not a lot because I don't have much but I would be prepared to give $50 because I know how his wife feels now after she thought she was giving him something special a welcome home gift , " SHAME ON YOU CABELAS "
Reminds me of the stab in the guts we got from our country coming home from Vietnam .

I would advise them to take it higher in managment. The home store is in Sidney Nebraska. Be professional and don't give up yet.

Jeff

Facts aren't in yet. It's only Cabela's fault if the switch happened in their store. These things can take some odd turns.

I'm sorry to hear that this guy is even dealing with this.

I think I will do my shopping with Bass pro from now own. These big chain stores dont care about people, They probably make more money in a week then I do in a year and they act like it would kill them to fix a problem that was more than likely caused by one of there employees. And Im not that wealthy either but I would be willing to donate $100 to help replace his scope.

It is quite ridiculous to think that the wife would buy a nightforce as a special gift and then replace it with a Bushnell .
This whole thing smells of a woman being taken advantage of because the people that sold it to her new she would not know the difference . I bet she even told them it was a gift for her husband overseas and they knew it would be some time before it was discovered. Just like when women get ripped off by " some " mechanics and trades people etc. because they may have no experience in that area. It happens to men also but to a lesser extent .

I would advise them to take it higher in managment. The home store is in Sidney Nebraska. Be professional and don't give up yet.

Jeff

I agree they should do that as the store may be throwing off , getting to the owners or upper management is the way to go.
I had a very bad experience in a Marriot Hotel in Surfers paradise near Brisbane in Queensland over here .
Got nowhere complaining to the Australian management so after some research I found out who to complain to in the USA , sent photos and detailed reports of everything that happened and how it was handled , well not handled over here and in the end the hotel manger got the sack and I got all my money refunded .
Sometimes the executives just have no idea of what is actually going on at the coal face .
However I have a gut feeling on this that the mark has been so well chosen that the management will believe the store and suspect the customer is trying to pull a fast one . They tend to do that when it is one persons word against another and they back their own people because then they don't have to admit to them selves , that they have a problem in the store .
I was only successful after I bombarded them with irrefutable evidence .
I pray I am wrong but I have been around a long time and fought a lot of battles like this.
However the USA has a good track record of high quality service to it's customers
way better than what we get over here so that may win out in the long run .

Sounds more like a customer pulled an okiedokie on the sales man!

I have seen this done and help a sales man catch a guy that did this.

First thy ask to see some high end scopes then while looking at the high enders they say they want a lower priced scope, then with high end scope and cheapo on counter he'll ask for some thing that well be in the back and as the clerk goes for that he'll pull a switch wait till the clerk comes back and then say make sure you put this back ill be back for it put I want the one now and away goes the highender in a cheapo box.

Also my mom work at sears and they had people buy stuff then bring it back looking like it was never open but it had bricks in the box not the product that was suppose to be in the box.

That is not what they are saying happened here at all. The expensive scope was " paid for " by the customer but the cheap Bushnell scope ended up in the expensive scopes box and in the customers hands . I don't think anyone would con a salesman like that and loose $1700 to do it .
Can you see a wife buying a special coming home gift for her Veteran husband
and pulling any kind of rorte that could come undone and cast a big shadow and embarrassment on his home coming . No , I just can't see that happening .
Coming home from war is an emotional thing and I just can't see they would want to blemish that .

I spoke to Len about a forum based appeal to collect the donations but apparently they can't do that kind of thing . So back to square one.
I sure would like to help the poor wife and a fellow veteran but I don't know what else to do .

Jeff

I have read all of the posts on this thread at this time and this post seems to be the best advice that could be given at this specific time.

May I echo what has already been said.

Take it to higher managment .
Be professional.

The old saying goes . You can draw more flies with honey than with vinegar. Be nice and treat them kindly and they may go the extra mile for you. Once you try and pull the im going to do this or that and get rough card then you have no other option...
Just my opinion.

Good luck!

They have cabelas management looking into it now, so hopefully it will get fixed for him.
That is good to hear . We all agree that Cabela's should be given every opportunity to look into this .
One of the reasons I feel that this is a genuine thing is a similar thing happened to me . My wife bought me a NV scope while on a trip and she got ripped off by gross over charging because she had no idea of what it should normally cost. I never told my wife that , because it would upset her .
I have dealt with many upper management people in my time and most will only make a real decision on things like this if they are forced .
I hope the complaint is as documented as possible stating times , dates , people involved , things said and done etc.
I wish I was over there helping because I am a really good complainer , it is in my genes . I'm half English . :D

Be nice and treat them kindly and they may go the extra mile for you.

Good luck!

I agree , you should always start out nice and give them every opportunity to do the right thing if you complaint is genuine.
However it don't always work , some scum bags see " nice " as " weak ".
A lot hinges on whether management will just take what the store says as gospel .
What worries me is , if the Bushnell scope was not stolen from inventory it will not show up as missing from stock.
In that case the store manager may believe the salesman as there may be little evidence of the switch .
The only saving grace is that it is possible that the store manager has suspicions about certain staff anyway and this could confirm that. Lets hope it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.