Best whitetail bullet.

Just move to a state that has a very liberal limit. ;) When I lived down South, we had a one legal buck per day limit for a few years, then it went to 3 does and 5 bucks per year, then it flipped to 5 does and 3 bucks. Since there were no tags, I knew people who would kill over 20 per year during the various hunting seasons.

We still have have family farm land there, so every so often, I make the trip back to enjoy the liberal limits. Lots of deer allow for trying various calibers, bullets, handguns, etc.
J Peterman No GIF

And give up MT elk season? Sacrifices…

View attachment 580570
And give up MT elk season? Sacrifices…
LOL.......I do understand, but with only one week here to hunt elk and deer, often, I do miss the 4 months of deer season we had and the liberal limits. I spent a lot of enjoyable time in those old woods, fields, swamps and river bottoms. I could hunt and kill game with a different caliber/bullet combo almost any week I wished, and sometimes, multiples in the same week.

So now, I just have to make the trip back, and to other areas, when I feel the need for.....more.

LOL.......I do understand, but with only one week here to hunt elk and deer, often, I do miss the 4 months of deer season we had and the liberal limits. I spent a lot of enjoyable time in those old woods, fields, swamps and river bottoms. I could hunt and kill game with a different caliber/bullet combo almost any week I wished, and sometimes, multiples in the same week.

So now, I just have to make the trip back, and to other areas, when I feel the need for.....more.
Arkansas just added another season. Alternative gun season allows Straight wall cartridge rifles October 19-27, it coincides with the muzzleloader season. So I just sighted in a Weatherby Vanguard Walnut stock in 350 Legend. Looking forward to an earlier centerfire start to our season here. Limit is 5 deer, no more than 2 bucks.
When the Modern gun season starts in November I will have to choose between a Mauser M18 6.5 CM zeroed for 140 Norma Tipstrike or a Sauer 100 6.5 CM zeroed with 140 Accubond or a Winchester 70 in 270 WSM zeroed for 150 Fusion.

Too hard to decide. Wish I could just take my squirrel rifle and shoot'em all in the head. God willing, we are going to have deer roast, deer chalupas, deer casserole and deersketti.

Last edited:
Arkansas just added another season. Alternative gun season allows Straight wall cartridge rifles October 19-27, it coincides with the muzzleloader season. So I just sighted in a Weatherby Vanguard Walnut stock in 350 Legend. Looking forward to an earlier centerfire start to our season here. Limit is 5 deer, no more than 2 bucks.
Is that the Ridge? River zones;?

Last edited:
When the Modern gun season starts in November I will have to choose between a Mauser M18 6.5 CM zeroed for 140 Norma Tipstrike or a Sauer 100 6.5 CM zeroed with 140 Accubond or a Winchester 70 in 270 WSM zeroed for 150 Fusion.

Too hard to decide. Wish I could just take my squirrel rifle and shoot'em all in the head. God willing, we are going to have deer roast, deer chalupas, deer casserole and deersketti.
Back in the 90's in MS, it was not uncommon to take a break from deer hunting and grab the 22LR and hit the woods before day break or an hour before sunset. Often during those short hunts, we would see does walking and feeding around in the hardwood lots, and every so often, one came close enough for an easy head shot. Those CCI MiniMags HP's would drop them in their tracks.

Just about any bullet cup/core, bonded, and mono will kill a whitetail with no problem. Which ever bullet your rifle likes and gives you confidence. If your concerned with excessive meat loss and/or wound channels is where you can start sorting out what bullet is best for you and your rifle. I’m also taking shot placement as a no brainer.

Well, there’s always coyote hunting.

7mm Sierra 160g Spt Boat tail, at 2900-2950 fps, just flattens white tails, near and far with 280, 280 AI, and 7 Mag.

7/08 Mashemflatmagnum bullet is the 130g Speer bTSP with a max load of IMR 4895 at 3000 fps, puts deer on the gound right now.

308 Win, 155g Berger vld hunting, awesome killer. This bullet likes to be seated near the lands.

30/06, 165g Speer btsp, 57g of IMR 4350, R#22 is faster. This bullet puts a LOT of shock on a deer. My second favorite is the Hornady 165g Flat base, acting like a partition in how it penetrates with tremendous shock on deer.

280 AI and 7 mags, 175g LRAB, bullets sorted by ogive length, seated barely off the lands, are producing fantastic accuracy, and dropping deer in their tracks. If you like to eat right up to the bullet hole, this is not the bullet for you~!

Last edited:
The majority of deer I've taken over the years have been shot with Hornady Interlocks. They just work. 4-5 years ago I switched most of my loads to Accubonds. They work too. Then last year, I took 3 deer with ELD-X. I take most shots just behind the shoulder, to minimize lost meat, but they will run a little ways. If I'm hunting beside the river or in the swamp, and then I'll shoot high shoulder to drop them right there.