Best whitetail bullet.

I drew a doe tag this year and I’m undecided what to use. I have three experiment loads I would like to try on this hunt.
1. 235 grn TSX in a 375 H&H mag.
2. 220 grn SMK in. 300 blk
3. 77 TMK in a 556.

I wish I had 3 tags…

45-70 with a handloaded 250 grain barnes tsx. Drops them like someone hit them in the head with a sledge hammer.

300 AAC with a handloaded Lehigh Defense 115 grain Controlled Chaos. I have never had a deer take more than 5 steps after being hit with this particular loading.

When doing shoulder shots I prefer a bonded bullet. Interbond or accubond but have used cor lokt and Speer hot cor for these shots with great results.
I prefer behind the shoulder nowadays and use 140 ballistic tip in 7-08.
Berger works wonderfully behind the shoulder or high shoulder if you aren’t worried about meat loss because you will have considerable meat loss if you hit shoulder.

I to am a fan of the 85gr sierra bthp. Haven't killed any deer with it but it has done a number on a couple yotes and other varmints. Running about 3200 fire forming cases in my 243AI. 22-250 was my go to for a long time but I've really been enjoying the 243AI.
I have yet to explore the AI. Perhaps I should. You could argue that it would be irresponsible not to.

45-70 with a handloaded 250 grain barnes tsx. Drops them like someone hit them in the head with a sledge hammer.

300 AAC with a handloaded Lehigh Defense 115 grain Controlled Chaos. I have never had a deer take more than 5 steps after being hit with this particular loading.
A buddy of mine has killed a pile of animals with the 300blk. Mostly pigs, but quite a few deer also. Several big south Texas deer. His favorite bullet is the 110gr nosler varmegeddon. I think the farthest he had one go was 35-40 yards, and that was a 150 yard shot. Most everything else is like you said, dead in five steps or less.

I drew a doe tag this year and I’m undecided what to use. I have three experiment loads I would like to try on this hunt.
1. 235 grn TSX in a 375 H&H mag.
2. 220 grn SMK in. 300 blk
3. 77 TMK in a 556.

I wish I had 3 tags…
Just move to a state that has a very liberal limit. ;) When I lived down South, we had a one legal buck per day limit for a few years, then it went to 3 does and 5 bucks per year, then it flipped to 5 does and 3 bucks. Since there were no tags, I knew people who would kill over 20 per year during the various hunting seasons.

We still have have family farm land there, so every so often, I make the trip back to enjoy the liberal limits. Lots of deer allow for trying various calibers, bullets, handguns, etc.

I was shooting 124 grain hammer hunters at 3394FPS out of my 26" barreled 6.5 PRC and it hit everything I shot with it like Thor's hammer! Literally Bang/Dead. Sometimes they died so quick I thought I had missed them they just folded in the long grass and I missed it. These were mule deer and pronghorn antelope but I am sure the results would be the same on whitetail.

Recent Posts