Best boots

Quality boots for sure, but in my opinion the more important factor is the amount of miles that one puts in their boots before they go mountain hunting. Preparing and hardening ones feet with their boots helps keep away from blistered and bruised feet. As far as a make, I am a big fan of La Sportiva leather boots because they fit my feet, and allow me to walk the miles needed. All the best with your hunting trip.

I was curious if anyone on this thread has any experience with any of the boots from the Russell Moccasin Company? I'm going on my first Elk Hunt this coming year and want to buy a quality pair of boots. I read a lot of good stuff about Kenetrek and Lowa but I personally like the idea of an all leather rebuild-able boot and I like taller boots than most as my daily work boots are 16" Wesco Highliners. I have read some great reviews about the Russell's elsewhere. The other thing I like is you literally measure your foot and they make the boot for your feet so no loose heel or tight toe etc. Just wondering if any of you have tried them.

BTW Threejs the do offer a great looking model called the Grand Slam Sheep Hunter if you want to check them out.

Hanwag trapper or Alaska gtx..by far the most comfortable boot out of the box, no blister and just as at home on the street as they are in the mountains...amazing boot.

Meindles are too narrow
LaSportiva too narrow
Lowa too wide
Scarpas same width as hanwag but the Monteblancs blistered me up real good, need a lot or working in.

I have narrow long feet (13 A), fit is a big challenge. My go to boots are a pair of custom Randy Merrell boots he made for me some years back, fit like a glove, are not insulated with his custom insoles I use in all my shoes.

A few years ago, I got a pair of Scarpa Fuego Mountaineering boots for hunting. I can tell you they're absolutely bullet proof but probably one of the most uncomfortable boots I've ever worn. They never really "break-in" in the traditional sense. You can barely flex the sole after wearing them daily for a year. I wore mine for about two years daily and they were super stiff in every way. Good support but they're like blocks of cement. They are a serious mountaineering boot and not a hunting boot. Different boots are marketed as "mountaineering" boots but not all cross over to hunting equally well.

I have E width feet and the only boots that fit me well were the Lowa Tibet wides. They aren't very tall boots but they are comfortable and the soles are pretty stiff compared to Kennetrek and Crispi. I ordered in a bunch of different boots and tried them all on. Returned the ones I didn't like and then ordered a second pair of the Lowa's.

I have been using kennetreks mountain extreme un insulated for quite a few years. Have never had to buy a new pair because they start leaking every two years. So every other year they are the best boot I have ever experienced. Then my feet get wet. Just got a pair of Hanwag trapper gtx. They lose nothing to the kennetreks. Hoping to wear these out. They are goretex instead of windtex.

Steve

Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX - I have had them for quite a while and they have held up much longer than any other boots I've own included Kenetreks, and are much more comfortable IMO. You are going to get a thousand different suggestions for boots, as everyone has different feet and needs. Never buy a pair of boots you can't try on with the type of socks you are going to be wearing and a loaded pack (at least make sure you can return them without issue). This will allow you to get a real idea of how they will perform for YOU.

I went on my first elk hunt last season and almost all of the guides at the lodge were wearing Schnee's hunters, their "ultimate elk boot." I was wearing very nice AKU mountaineering boots, which were fantastic until I got some water/mud/muck in them (next time wearing a headlamp, my fault) and they never fully dried, and until we were on slick melting snow and mud, which felt like banana peels. Meanwhile the guide's feet were not slipping and every night the guides are removing their boot liners and drying them near the wood stove. My father in law was wearing Kennetreks and said they were great, but both me and my brother in law ordered the Schnee's for this year's hunt. Really looking forward to trying them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.